critique this equipment selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

houe

Registered
Reaction score
First, my expected typical diving: I will be diving mainly in the upper midwest (minnesota). I expect most of my diving will be less than 40ft. I have a weak right ankle after a injury some years ago. My buddy has an air2 regulator. I have moderate diving experience, but haven't been diving in quite a few years. I have around 4k budget for a set of equipment. I'm a smaller guy at 5'7" 160lbs. I will have a wet suit with an eye towards a drysuit. Here is the list I'm currently leaning towards:

Scubapro classic unlimited BC (prefer the stability)
Apollo bio fin (or maybe Atomic split fin)
Atomic ST1 (din)
Atomic SS1 integrated octo
Atomic frameless mask
Two worthington hp80s (din)

Looking for gauges. Im leaning towards analog pressure and compass with a minimal computer although if there is a good reason to something more advanced I'm listening.

I'm looking for suggestions on wetsuit. I'm looking for probably a company that offers a large short or medium short size. This is the item I think will be the trickiest to track down.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Gear selection is very personal. If what you select works for YOU, it really doesn't matter what others may think, by way of a 'critique'. Your background statements suggest you will be diving colder water, at only moderate depths, and have more than ample funds to pursue a set of gear, What is not as clear is WHY you picked what you picked (with the possible exception of the integrated octo inflator - ? presumably because your dive buddy uses one). I have a few questions, not so much offering a 'critique' as reflecting curiousity.

Scubapro classic unlimited BC (prefer the stability) It is a solid, reliable jacket BCD, with more lift than you need for a single tank. It is weight-integrated. Nothing wrong with the BCD, if what you want is a weight-integrated, jacket BCD. (I wouldn't buy it but it is not my money or my gear.) Putting the marketing claims of Scubapro aside for the sake of discussion, what 'stability' are you looking for, and why do you think this BCD provides that? Just curious.

Atomic ST1 (din) Why do you want (to pay for) a titanium regulator? What do you specifically think this unit offers?

Atomic SS1 integrated octo Other than your satement that your buddy dives an Air 2, why do you want an integrated octo / inflator?

Two worthington hp80s (din) Why an HP 80? Nothing at all wrong with the cylinder, just a less common choice for a HP steel than a HP 100, for example. Have you used one? I don't think the difference in weight (80 vs 100) would have much impact on your ankle. If the 100 is too heavy (and it probably wouldn't be), the 80 will be as well.

Im leaning towards analog pressure and compass with a minimal computer although if there is a good reason to something more advanced I'm listening. Analog pressure gauge and compass would be good. Are you going to use a console? Or, will you wrist mount the compass, and go with a computer for depth and time?

Personally I like a brass and glass pressure gauge and an analogue depth gauge on my console, with a compass on a lanyard (attached to a slate for preference) I find wrist compasses difficult to use.

What matters is stability in a swimming position and a back inflate BC or backplate and wing offers a lot more than a jacket BC, although some of those are not bad.

With the titanium regulator choice I assume travel and weight limits are considerations. In that case I's suggest either a Scubapro LiteHawk has it is lighter, much more streamlined, more stable, can accommodate an integrated weight system and it's less expensive. An even better option is the X-Tec harness, an aluminum plate and a 30 or 40 pound donut wing. Again, if you prefer you can add weight integrated pockets.

For light weight, just go with a Mk 11 first stage with a C300 second stage, an S600 second stage or a G250V second stage (in order of increasing weight). If you plan on diving cold water, you can go with the Mk 17 - or add a half dozen parts and a Mk 17 annual service kit and upgrade it to Mk 17 status later. A Mk 11 with a small second stage like a C300 or S600 won't be significantly heavier than an Atomic Ti reg.

An Air 2 style reg is ok if your goal is to have a lightweight and very streamlined open water only system. In that regard however, it does not work as well with a reg shaped like a Mk 25 or Atomic. On a Mk 11 or Mk 17 and with a long hose (5') primary however it can be extremely clean with the primary, inflator/Air 2 and SPG hoses all running straight down the tank, leaving no loops of hose over the shoulders, etc. If that's not your primary goal, then go with a regular backup second stage - but I'd again suggest a 5' primary hose and a bungee necklace for the backup second stage.

A brass and glass SPG makes sense and a smaller 1.5" SPG is fine. For a computer, consider the Aladin 2G. You won't outgrow it even if you advance to 2 gas accelerated decompression diver, and even at the trimix level, it still makes a great bottom timer.

Tank wise, an X7-80 weighs 28 pounds compared to 31 pounds for an AL 80 and 33 pounds for an X7-100. Both the steel tanks are a better choice than the AL tank as you can take off about 5 pounds of lead compared to the floatier aluminum 80, but at 5' 7'' and 160 pounds you'll have no problem carrying the 5 pound heavier X7-100. It is only 4" longer than the X7-80 and still 2" shorter than an AL 80.

You're on your A game with your choices if you know you like the BC from first hand experience.
The HP 80's are wonderful to use if your diving depth doesn't require more air volume.
Your choice of split fins will really help stretch a tank of air when you perfect the right way to kick them.

I wasn't going to go there, but since it's been brought up, I'll post the dissenting opinion on split fins.

Split fins work well with people with limited leg strength and like a bicycle in low gear they allow low effort in exchange for a high cyclic rate. I don't regard that as being horribly efficient. It also takes a few kicks to get moving and there is not much glide. There also is not much feel and the fins are not very precise in terms of turning or making subtle adjustments. They also don't back up well at all, and they tend to raise a good del of silt well below you, so they are not horribly reef friendly and they are not suited to overhead environments. They are also a bit of a one "kick" pony and are not well suited to frog kicks, shuffle kicks, etc.

What they do very well is aid inexperienced divers in roto-tilling the reef or quarry.

If you dive them and like them, I guess that's ok, but don't buy a particular model unless you've tried it. Even then, please realize that there are much better fins out there that while they may require a little more work up front, are a far better and more capable fin over the long term.

Gear selection is very personal. If what you select works for YOU, it really doesn't matter what others may think, by way of a 'critique'. Your background statements suggest you will be diving colder water, at only moderate depths, and have more than ample funds to pursue a set of gear, What is not as clear is WHY you picked what you picked (with the possible exception of the integrated octo inflator - ? presumably because your dive buddy uses one). I have a few questions, not so much offering a 'critique' as reflecting curiousity.

Scubapro classic unlimited BC (prefer the stability) It is a solid, reliable jacket BCD, with more lift than you need for a single tank. It is weight-integrated. Nothing wrong with the BCD, if what you want is a weight-integrated, jacket BCD. (I wouldn't buy it but it is not my money or my gear.) Putting the marketing claims of Scubapro aside for the sake of discussion, what 'stability' are you looking for, and why do you think this BCD provides that? Just curious.
Two items. 1. As most of my dives will be from shore I will be spending a fair amount of surface time on the water before starting a dive. 2 The face up resting on the surface is a something that appeals to me. I have used a earlier scubapro classic and did like it.

Atomic ST1 (din) Why do you want (to pay for) a titanium regulator? What do you specifically think this unit offers?
I'll admit the good reviews I've read has led me to atomic. I have never used one and I don't think it would be an easy task for me to find one to test dive. I dont want to shell out 1500 for a T2x and the ST1 seemed like a nice compromise. The stainless steel will last a long time and I'd expect the ST1 would last my whole diving life.

Atomic SS1 integrated octo Other than your satement that your buddy dives an Air 2, why do you want an integrated octo / inflator?
I wanted to match the octo with my first stage (brand) and removing a hose is definitely appealing to me. I have read the pro/con debate on integrated octo vs stand alone.

Two worthington hp80s (din) Why an HP 80? Nothing at all wrong with the cylinder, just a less common choice for a HP steel than a HP 100, for example. Have you used one? I don't think the difference in weight (80 vs 100) would have much impact on your ankle. If the 100 is too heavy (and it probably wouldn't be), the 80 will be as well.
My dive buddy has a hp72 faber. I was able to dive with it and liked it way more than the rental tanks I used - less bulky and less weight on my waist. The buoyancy characteristics of steel is appealing to me as I am going to be mainly a cold water diver.

Im leaning towards analog pressure and compass with a minimal computer although if there is a good reason to something more advanced I'm listening. Analog pressure gauge and compass would be good. Are you going to use a console? Or, will you wrist mount the compass, and go with a computer for depth and time?
I really haven't done much research on this topic. I believe I would prefer console over wrist.

Two items. 1. As most of my dives will be from shore I will be spending a fair amount of surface time on the water before starting a dive. 2 The face up resting on the surface is a something that appeals to me. I have used a earlier scubapro classic and did like it.

I'll admit the good reviews I've read has led me to atomic. I have never used one and I don't think it would be an easy task for me to find one to test dive. I dont want to shell out 1500 for a T2x and the ST1 seemed like a nice compromise. The stainless steel will last a long time and I'd expect the ST1 would last my whole diving life.

I wanted to match the octo with my first stage (brand) and removing a hose is definitely appealing to me. I have read the pro/con debate on integrated octo vs stand alone.

My dive buddy has a hp72 faber. I was able to dive with it and liked it way more than the rental tanks I used - less bulky and less weight on my waist. The buoyancy characteristics of steel is appealing to me as I am going to be mainly a cold water diver.

I really haven't done much research on this topic. I believe I would prefer console over wrist.

Gear selection is very personal. You asked and several have answered and then you have shot their answers down. No point in asking then. Most experienced divers, though not all, seem to prefer a wing BC with back plate, paddle fins and a brass and glass spg alone with depth or computer and compass on the wrist. Consoles are definitely not in with todays tech oriented crowd.

The Atomic Frameless mask is a superb mask and seems to have a wide fit range and excellent visibility. Split fins, no thanks, some people like them I guess but again, it seems that more experienced divers with an eye toward advanced or adventure type diving prefer a paddle fin.

N

Gear selection is very personal. You asked and several have answered and then you have shot their answers down. No point in asking then. Most experienced divers, though not all, seem to prefer a wing BC with back plate, paddle fins and a brass and glass spg alone with depth or computer and compass on the wrist. Consoles are definitely not in with todays tech oriented crowd.

The Atomic Frameless mask is a superb mask and seems to have a wide fit range and excellent visibility. Split fins, no thanks, some people like them I guess but again, it seems that more experienced divers with an eye toward advanced or adventure type diving prefer a paddle fin.

N

what dive computer do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom