Cruise Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisher

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I read somewhere that a diver is better off not booking dives through the cruise ship, but to do research and set up your dives through the local dive shops before you leave for your cruise. You apparently get better prices, but just need to make sure they can guarantee you'll be back in time to disembark. Is this true? If so, I'll be on the Caribbean Princess out of Puerto Rico April 11th.

Does anyone have any Dive Shop AND Dive Spot advice for:

a) St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

b) Dominica

c) Grenada

d) Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles

e) Aruba

and I suppose Puerto Rico too since we're flying out a few days early...might as well squeeze a dive in if there's a good one!

Thanks!

Two to consider in St. Thomas are Admiralty Dive Center or Blue Island Divers. Both will pick you up and return you to the cruise dock so it would seem a reasonable alternative. From what I've read it's probably cheaper than the cruise package. I've also read that for some of the lines, the cruise dive is Coki Beach, it's shallow and somewhat average. We did a $10 checkout dive there, I wouldn't spend a lot more than that to dive it.

It couldn't get any easier in St Thomas. Caribbean Princess docks in Crown Bay, and Blue Island Divers is right next door, in Crown Bay Marina. The Princess docks earlier enough to make the morning 2 tank, 2 location dive so getting back to ship on time won't be an issue. Usually back at marina around noon. BID is no longer then a half hour boat ride to all the most requested shipwrecks in St Thomas, and some of the most stunning reefs in the Caribbean. Although Coast Gaurd certified for 15, you'll never find more then 12 divers on the boat. House rule! Check out the website and make some dive site requests.

I cruise a lot and dive on them. I book through the cruise lines whenever possible. First, it eliminates issues with whether we arrive and disembark early enough to get to the dive boat. Second, it eliminates issues with returning before the ship leaves. Third, if for some reason the ship does not go to the particular port or the weather is bad, you get your money back. On the downside, it is generally a bit more expensive. Additionally, as a matter of minimizing liability, the cruise lines require the shops that do their dives to observe certain maximum depths and dive times. I've heard complaints about the quality of the divers you find on dives you book through the ship. I've never found them to be any worse than the random ones you might find booking a dive through the same independent shop as you. And, in most destinations where ships go, all the shops provide dive guides. In fact, in many places the law requires a dive guide of some sort. FWIW: On my November cruise, in one location, my insta-buddy was an instructor; in the other location, both my insta-buddies were instructors. However, on one trip, where I flew to the destination, the other 3 guests on the boat all had less than 20 total dives, and those were spread out over a period of years.

I haven't been on a cruise, but personally I would always check out dive shops personally before booking. The dive shop that a cruise line works with might be fine, but it also might just be whichever one is most convenient for them. Also, if a dive shop does most of their business with cruise ship folks, they may not have as much incentive to offer a great experience. It may be harder or more expensive to take a taxi elsewhere, but it also may be worth it if you can have a better diving experience.

I read somewhere that a diver is better off not booking dives through the cruise ship, but to do research and set up your dives through the local dive shops before you leave for your cruise. You apparently get better prices, but just need to make sure they can guarantee you'll be back in time to disembark. Is this true?
That is the common wisdom. Like anything, there are pros and cons whichever way you go.

Part of your research is what you should do, not just which operator. There is the occasional port where taking the cruise ship excursion makes more sense, Belize comes to mind. Some where it may make sense to shore dive rather than arrange a boat trip. And probably some you'd be better off doing something other than diving.

The way shore excursions work is that the cruise line contracts with companies at each port of call to provide the shore excursions the sell on the ships. In most cases, you can make your own arrangements and cut out the cost the cruise line adds to the trip.

Pros of making your own arrangements, at least for diving:
  • usually cost less
  • not limited on bottom time, dive your own profile
  • can choose a smaller boat which will be less crowded
  • can have a voice in decided the dive site
  • smaller operator, more personal service
  • better choice for more advanced divers
  • you can shore dive if you want, which is much less expensive and not dependent on someone else's schedule. Grand Cayman is especially good for this.

Cons:
  • more work for you to make plans, get to the meeting place
  • ship won't wait if you are late, but being late is highly unlikely

Going with the ship's excursion
Pros:
  • easy planning
  • gear is often included
  • good choice for the once a year cruise diver
  • you get to dive with other people from your ship
  • ship will wait if you are late ( this does matter to some people)
  • easier logistically at some ports, especially Belize, or if you arrive in port too late for the morning dive boats from private operators

Cons:
  • Usually cost a bit more, sometimes a lot more
  • usually larger boats which can usually mean more people, but not always
  • usually predetermined dive sites
  • usually bottom times are predetermined, or everyone has to surface when the first person is low on air.
  • dives are often follow the leader type dives, which is especially annoying for advanced divers or photographers

For St. Thomas, I like Admiralty Dive Center Nice people, small boat/small group operator with personal service.

For Aruba, try Dive Aruba

In Bonaire, I'd look to do some shore diving.

Although I guess this could be a possible con with both ship excursions and direct dive shops, but on my recent Mediterranean cruise, my only dive excursion scheduled through the cruise ship (Celebrity Century) was canceled while at sea and within 48 hours of my trip. It left me with no time to reschedule another dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom