Cruise Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone! I just got back from a Carnival Cruise trip to Progresso, Cozumel and Belize. I thought I would share my experience with everyone. I booked my dives on my own. In Cozumel I booked with scubawithalison.com and Belize I booked with Seasportsbelize.com both places were WONDERFUL! the group was small (no crowding) they were both friendly and very accomodating. I have realized that the cruiseship excursions are rip-offs!!!! they send you out on large groups and charge you a lot. In Cozumel I paid 65.00 per person two tank dive included tanks and weights, the ship excursion was charging 100.00 per person two tank dive and did not include any equipment. In Belize I paid 109.00 per person for a two tank barrier dive price included weights,air and a nice lunch (I had my own equipment) the cruise ship wanted 160.00 per person two tank dive not including any equipment! Just wanted to get the information out there so if you are planning a cruise you will not get ripped off and you will enjoy your dives. I spoke with some other divers on board who booked through the cruise they were dissappointed in the service and the length of their dives were very short. Hope this helps....

New to cruising?? That's what they do. They are out there to make money. Some cruise lines have extremely short shore excursions just to get you back on the boat. THAT is where they want you to spend the money....on the boat...not on shore.

RICHinNC:
New to cruising?? That's what they do. They are out there to make money. Some cruise lines have extremely short shore excursions just to get you back on the boat. THAT is where they want you to spend the money....on the boat...not on shore.

No, not new to cruising just new to cruising and diving...You would be surprised on how many people purchase their excursions. Even thought I am new to diving on a cruise I was still smart enough to book elsewhere before the trip.

goofystan:
No, not new to cruising just new to cruising and diving...You would be surprised on how many people purchase their excursions. Even thought I am new to diving on a cruise I was still smart enough to book elsewhere before the trip.

Hmmm ... I am about to dive while cruising for the second time (only one excursion so far, though, this next will be a lot), and booked through the cruise line. Royal Caribbean has been good to me on shore excursions generally, and good for the one dive I booked before. That was in Kona, Hawaii.

I expect somewhat of a premium for the off-timing (the cruise ship in-port times don't always match well with local typical dive operation schedules) and the assumption of responsibility by the cruise line and tour operator to get my butt back onto the ship.

I'll let y'all know if I think it was worth it end of March, or if it was a rip off!

Cheers,
Walter

I'll let you know how my dives turn out, this will be our first cruise. Don't feel too bad, my wife and I have been diving for nearly twenty years together. We normally stay on an Island for 7 to 10 days. She wanted to try a cruise, this July we will be on the StarDancer in PNG so I'm planning to compare this with the Princess line. We've booked our dives already....not with the cruise line, I figure no cattle boats this way.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

I think cruises are a great vacation for families and groups and even couples with very different interests. Any diving is better then none. If you go on a cruise, enjoy the experience and take full advantage of what a cruise offers that other vacations don't. If you are going to dive while on a cruise, take it for what it is. Don't expect access to the best dive ops on each island or to be able to get to your favorite dive site there. If you do get either, consider it a bonus. It may just not work with the port call times or ship location while in port. Make the dives part of your cruise vacation, but don't make it the sole purpose or you may be disappointed.

The reason most people will just book the dive excursion through the ship is because if you are on your own and your ship can't come into port (weather or other reasons), arrives late and/or the excursion returns late, the ship will accommodate their own groups. If you book on your own and run late for any reason, the ship will not wait for you. 80% of the time there's no worries because you'd be back long before that would be an issue, but do be very careful on afternoon dives. Ships can change their departure times and if need be, anytime after the announced "all aboard" time is fair game, regardless of what time they said they'd leave. They really stress that point as a big selling feature for the pricey excursions.

The other reason is that the majority of people diving while on a cruise only dive a day or two each year on a cruise, haven't dived in years, or are just trying it for the first time. They are not comfortable with finding their own operator and either don't care too much or don't realize that they could have a very different experience.

On a stop in Cozumel several years ago we ran late and thought we were safe because we were between the time they wanted you back and the departure time (it was almost a 2hr window). We got to the pier and literally ran up the crew gangway with 2 late crew members as they were sounding the horn. The passenger gangway had already closed and they were in the process of taking in the lines and pulling out of the berth. Due to approaching weather they were pulling out earlier then initially announced. We were politely scolded by the officer who not so politely scolded the crew members who ran up behind us. If there's even a chance of cutting it close, I'd suck it up and pay more to go with the excursion or pass on the diving.

I have been on many cruises and never had a rescheduled departure time so this must be a rare occurance. It is very difficult to get everyone together to leave earlier then stated unless they send people in the streets alerting them to the earlier time. I will always book off the ship as I have done so with other excursions as well. In Cozumel and Belize the independant dive operator's were very flexible they knew what time we were in port and gave us an two hour window to get to their shop. If the ship for some reason cancelled the port of call they also agreed to refund the money that was pre-paid. The operation I used in Cozumel required no pre-payment what so ever. The operation in Belize required payment before the trip. If there was an issue with a refund I am not concerned as my credit card company is very good in disputing charges. The sites we visited were excellent and we were able to pick where to dive unlike the larger operations that are booked on the ship. I would rather give my money to an independant dive operation. Yes, I book cruises to strictly DIVE that is my only purpose of going on a cruise. I have NEVER been disappointed. I guess it depends on how much research one does before booking with a dive operation that is not affiliated with the cruise line. The patrons that went on the dive excursion with the cruise line were back several hours before we were. I spoke with them and they were highly disappointed! they stated that they entered the water three at a time and by the time the last person got into the water it was time to get out. The dive duration was approx.15 Minutes! Not a wise decision! we were under much longer and paid less then half the price as those booked on the cruise. You have to question how safe it is when you have twenty people going into the water at the same time as opposed to six. I would rather dive with six people as opposed to twenty people.

We've done many cruises also, but our December cruise was the first one that we dove. We booked privately for 3 dives and through the ship for the 4th. All our dives were well done and the 4th dive (in Key West) wasn't really crowded. We weren't excited that there were snorkelers on our dive boat, but oh well.

One thing we learned was that we don't like the way diving and cruising go together. We didn't feel we had enough time in ports and felt rushed on many of our dives, and frankly weren't that excited about turning our entire balcony over to the dive gear to dry. Because of that, we decided our next cruise is going to be a liveaboard (Nekton) and we're going to see how that compares.

It'll probably be many years before we do another cruise, and frankly, I can see us leave our dive gear at home when we do.

Goofystan, it's great to hear that you're cruise diving has been a enjoyable experience. Cruise diving works for you and that's what counts. My preference is to go on 3-4 dive trips every year and really get to know a dive destination below and above the water. There are a couple places we return to annually. The experience of many cruising divers I have met over the years (not all, but I'd say a majority that I have met), is to enjoy the cruise, sometimes include diving sometimes not, but for a dive vacation, go land based or dedicated dive liveaboard. But again, it's all about what works best for the individual and when you find what you like, stick with it.

I have to agree with DiveMe. I'm less then thrilled to schlep my wet gear and attempt to give it an descent rinse and dry out in the cabin. It does take away from the pampering and escape of a cruise vacation for me. I don't like to rent gear when I own it, so that's not an option to me.

I've been on many cruises starting back in 1986... mostly not by choice but more of an occupational hazard. When you're doing the marketing and communications programs for the them, they like you to have first hand product knowledge. I've been on everything from now retired Carnival and NCL ships, Chandris (which became Celebrity), Sitmar (which became Princess) right through to Radisson, Silversea, Crystal, the new RCI ships, new Carnival ships, new NCL, Celebrity, several Princess and the QM2. Destination wise, Caribbean, Mexico, Med, Scandinavia, Russia, South Pacific. My '97 near miss in Coz was not the first early departure, but the only one that I had a close call with. The time they tell you to return to the ship is NOT the departure time. They usually give you very clearly the time you are to be aboard, and them mention with little emphasis the actual sailing time. It's not an everyday thing, but it does happen. On at least 5 cruises I've been on, I know that people did miss the ship. Stick to the time to be aboard and you will have no worries.

Cruises make great destination samplers and that goes for sampling the diving of several different destinations on one trip too. And they are a perfect compromise for family travel or group travel of any kind that includes divers and non-divers.

Bon Voyage and Safe Diving!

Goofy, I sincerely hope you didnt read my post as being sarcastic....didnt mean it that way at all. Cruising is at least to me a very diff kind of vacation. I went on an NCL ship and it was keep the people on board as much as possible.....plus....we stopped at one port and they had a tour for like $85 a person set up by the ship....we decided to walk and right outside the port building we found the exact same tour for $15 a person. So, if you can book things on your own you are going to be better off. The only thing you have to be careful about is they get you back to the ship on time. The ship will wait for a ship planned event...but not for a non ship planned event. A few people found that out on the NCL cruise I was on.

later...rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom