Cuba Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait 5 years so that they can get a handle on what most of us want and require as minimums for dive-op infrastructure?

If you're in a hurry, bring a sense of humor and a CO detector.

There are lots of informative threads out there such as Scuba Diving in Cuba | Information, Reviews, Dive Shops, Liveaboards so would recommend that you do do a bit of reading. While there is good diving at the Breezes Jibacoa Hotel, diving is generally poor on the north side of the island. Some folks I know enjoy the diving in Cienfugos, however the accommodation and meals are quite basic at the limited number of AI hotels. There is also some good diving in Holguin.

But if you do decide to go, take all of your own equipment and ensure that it is in good working order as you may not be able to find acceptable rental gear and/or replacement parts. A good save a dive kit is also advised. Not sure about air standard (ie CO2) but I have never had a problem. But I would tend to stay away from any operator that does not seem to be well known as they may not have the resources to maintain compressors etc to expected standards.

I went to Cayo Largo in January. I was impressed by the dive boat, way better than what I was used to in Roatan or San Andrés. However, from what my fellow divers told me it is the exception of the rule.

The reef is very healthy, lot of marine life including nurse sharks, tarpoon and eagle rays.

We brought our equipment as usual. Rental stuff didn't look too bad however when I had a leaky oring on my tank I had to convince the guide the replace it. I still hear him saying "small leak no problem no problem". Few tanks on the boat were filled at 2400-2500 psi.

One of my buddy has dived many time in Cuba and describes Cuba diving as average except for Cayo Largo.

As for the fear of CO. I also had it in mind and searched for an option before I left but couldn't find one readily available. I don't think it is more risky than some other places in the world and having a tester when traveling is wise.

If you go to Cuba and do some diving that could be nice but I wouldn't travel there solely for the diving.

Hth

You should go before too many from the States go and alter the culture. Wonderful people, extremely beautiful country. If you can afford the liveaboards to the Jardines de la Reina, go because it is the most pristine diving in all the Caribbean as it's been a preserve for decades. The waters are clean due to organic ag being the rule since the '90's, so no ag pollutants to muck it up. Staying with families at casas particulares is inexpensive, clean and interesting to learn about Cuban life from locals. Dive ops are frequently somewhat primitive compared to other locations around the Caribbean and Mexico, but I never felt unsafe. Good people, knowledgeable operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom