Cuff dump/shoulder dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoJu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving a lot in a Whites Nexus shell suit and recently bought the whites Aquapro(Bi-lam, wish I'd got the quadflex) mostly for the reason that i was able to get the dump valve installed in the cuff.
I was wondering who uses shoulder or cuff or which would you prefer.
I love my cuff dump.

My LDS told me the Aqua Pro would be made at the factory for me, even if I ordered a stock size, and I could put the exhaust valve where I wanted. I guess you bought a suit off the rack?

I have only tried the shoulder dump, but the cuff dump idea sounds interesting. It seems people are 50/50 on it though. Some think it dumps too easily, and gets in the way when pulling lobsters out of holes. Also, having it on the cuff can interfere with wrist mounted instruments.

I'm having a tough time deciding on which is better.

Edit: oops, I think I read your message wrong.. you already have the cuff dump? Why would you want the quadflex over the bilam? (thats another decision i need to make).

In any location a dry suit dump valve only works when it is at the highest point. Do a search on this subject-there have been very lengthy previous discussions and polls that will explain some of the logic either way and under which circumstances. BTW, there must be a reason that the standard location for all manufacturers is the shoulder.

my first dry suit had a cuff dump - the one I have now has a shoulder dump - I like them both.

I think a cuff dump is great for a new drysuit user - as you can really see when air is dumping

otherwise - I think either dump location works

Rimp:
Edit: oops, I think I read your message wrong.. you already have the cuff dump? Why would you want the quadflex over the bilam? (thats another decision i need to make).

I think the quadflex is supposed to be a little more resiliant than bilam. But I have also heard and seen to some degree that the color on it fades. Not a big deal though.

GoJu:
I was wondering who uses shoulder or cuff or which would you prefer.
I use the Nexus Shell with shoulder dump. I've gotten very comfortable with it through dedicated dive practice, and I can see it out of the corner of my eye. Works great for me, dialed fully open, wearing very little weight, keeps me slightly negative during very slow ascents. Sometimes I'll squeeze the mid-arm area to get a little more air out if I'm feeling light above twelve feet, but otherwise it's hands-off and automatic, which is great.

I've heard nice things about cuff dumps and would like to try one some day--maybe at one of the manufacturers' events. But I'd hate to always be lifting my arm up. I've often got both hands otherwise engaged while doing a slow rise. So maybe the shoulder is best for me.

Bryan

GoJu:
I think the quadflex is supposed to be a little more resiliant than bilam. But I have also heard and seen to some degree that the color on it fades. Not a big deal though.

That right, one of the only problem with the Quadflex is that the color on it fades. Like you said it not a big deal as the suit is much better than the bilam. I prefer the shoulder dump valve myself.

Hyper-limits:
That right, one of the only problem with the Quadflex is that the color on it fades. Like you said it not a big deal as the suit is much better than the bilam. I prefer the shoulder dump valve myself.

Not to flog a dead horse here, but, why is the Quadflex better than the bilam? I assume it's tougher material... but are people having problems with ripping holes in their bilam suits? Or are there some other properties to the Quadflex that I"m unaware of?

Thanks!

Cuff dumps are great for a lot of reasons. However having a valve on your wrist is not an option if your a lobster hunter. You'll dever be able to get your arm into a tinght crack with a valve on your wrist.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom