Curacao - 2 divers, 2 young kids in tow...where to stay?/or should we go elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at the Marriott last October. Onsite dive shop (Caribbean Sea Sports). Morning 2-tank trips, mostly north of resort, good reefs, unlike dive sites south of the town which show signs of overdiving. Free tanks for shore diving included in daily dive price. Nice beach, with relativelty shallow lagoon created by rock barrier. I'd check directly with the hotel about kids' activities. You might end up alternating diving with your spouse. There were never more than 5 or 6 other divers (one morning, I was the only one, and the boat still went out), but if they have enough, they do an afternoon boat dive.

Thanks to you all for the great feedback!

Unfortunately we don't have a family member/grandparent that we could bring along nor a regular babysitter. My other half is a bit reluctant to try to find a local babysitter to watch the kids alone, which is why the idea of the kids club was appealing.

The Hilton and the Marriott were considered, but we really were looking for somewhere that was somewhat self contained that we could have a couple of bedrooms and a kitchen too. The challenge was finding a place that had the kids club too.

Our choices seem to be a little limited with unless I blow the budget out of the water, so I think I'll just go ahead and book the Blue Bay Hotel and hope for the best! They did tell me on the phone that the kids club there would be open and would be fine with the younger children, but I probably need to confirm this in writing. Maybe I'll book this through a travel agency and have them do the legwork and take the commission for their time.

If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to post another message!

I/we are really looking forward to getting back to a great dive location. It's been too long :)

Ollie

Check out the prices at Breezes/Princess resort through the bookit website. We were going to stay at the Marriott until we found that deal.

There is also one other resort that has not been mentioned yet.
It is a new community resort in Willibrordus called Kunuku Aqua Resort.
http://www.kunukuresort.com/

It is located on the way to all 3 beaches less than 10 minutes away: Coral Estate Beach, Porto Mari, & Daaibooi.

I visited there last year and they offer lower priced 2&3 bedroom villas. I was actually impressed on how nice it was (being brand new), well laid out, great pool for adults and kids, has a tiki bar offering light snacks and drinks, has a sundry with basic supplies: bread, snacks, drinks, ice cream, lotions, etc., and gated.

I spoke with the office manager and she explained that they have a kids program! So you might want to check into this.

Tel: (+5999)8644455 (office Curaçao)
Email to: receptie@kunukuresort.com

Kunuku Aqua Resort B.V.
Weg naar St. Willibrordus 36

Flamingo~

LondonOllie:

We've been to Curacao four times and Blue Bay is a long way from the oil refinery. I've never stayed at Blue Bay but have golfed there on several occasions. I can't imagine experiencing foul smells from the refinery.

We're heading back to Curacao in October and since the place we always stayed in the past, Habitat Curacao is gone we are looking very seriously at Blue Bay. The beach there is very nice and there is an onsite dive shop that supposedly regularly does guided shore dives. I'd also recommend The Dive Bus if you want to shore dive or Caribbean Sea Sports (located at the Marriott) for boat diving. I would stay away from Ocean Encounters. Several friends of mine went on a trip with my favorite LDS to Curacao and used Ocean Encounters. They were very disappointed and most of the group forfeited the money they paid for boat dives with OC and decided to shore dive on their own. Don't miss shore diving at Porto Marie, great beach, onsite dive op.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom