Cure for a shiner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any ideas about how to limit the intensity/duration of a black eye?
I had a little accident yesterday - as I bent over in the shower to pick up the bar of soap, my face hit the shower valve. It caught me right on the bone under my left eye. The skin there is thin, and I didn't realize that I was bleeding until I saw blood on the towel. Fortunately, the wound isn't large, and I did ice it immediately. It didn't look too bad yesterday, but overnight, I guess being horizonal and without ice took their toll. It spread along the bone of the eye socket up into the corner of my eye. Right now, it is red, but I know it will be black and blue in a matter of time.
How is this dive related, you wonder? Well, on Sunday, I will be at Aquarium of the Pacific at Divers' Day at the Catalina Conservancy Divers' booth. I really don't want to be seen looking like this in public. I am also supposed to dive next weekend, and my low volume mask sits near the wound area. I don't want it to split open...that area is kind of delicate.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Otherwise, stop and see the humiliated woman with the black eye on Sunday morning, if you are there.

Not on my face! Besides, I am coastal, not inland. Whew!

Hey, you asked. :wink:
Leech saliva has an anti-coagulant in it, it'll actually dissolve the clotted blood in a bruise & then they'll slurp it out.
The last time I had a black eye I hit a bait shop, stuck the critters on & by the time I drove home the shiner was about 80% gone.
They ain't just for witch doctors anymore. :tease:

and i can see the headlines about the 50 car pileup on the 15 caused by drivers distracted by the woman with the leeches as I drive back from Lake Perris...

Bob3 is right leech therapy is used quite a bit these days especially by the plastic surgeons to treat hematomas(collection of blood) in the tissues post-operatively.

For those of you with a strong stomach here is a link to this effect :eek:

Leech

You sooo have to try the leeches! That article was great, BTW... Let us know how it went...I can't wait to get a shiner and try it! I will just have to drive quite a ways to find a bait shop in DC...

We all know the answer is RAW BEEFSTEAK, applied to the eye.

Another suggestion is HIT THE OTHER SIDE...at least you will look symmetrical so no one will be suspicious.

Seriously, If you hit youself that hard, there is the possibility of an orbital fracture or a zygomic fracture (tea cup fracture). If you are have double vision or difficulty getting your teeth to meet, get an oral surgeon or ENT to check it out. If you have loss of feeling over the cheek, side of the nose on the affected side or the upper lip and teeth, check it out.

While minor fractures may heal, you don't want to leave it undiscovered.

That's my $.02.

Larry Stein:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom