Curiosity - Wreck Diving Tie In Anchor Retrieval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not alleging , I'm asking. Hence the question mark. Just seems like a wasteful and trashy way to do if they were being left below is all.

lighten up....you do realize that if anything, they would add to the structure if we left them. Wasteful??? Its a damn cinder block for crying out loud........

Whats worse....the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of pounds of lead that is left all over the ocean......or a few cinder blocks made of the SAME material as what is currently being used as artificial reef now.

Plus - when we send artifacts up, we recover them.....so get your panties out of the bunch you have them in.....we dont leave anything behind

The high and mighty clueless on here never cease to amaze me.......

lighten up....you do realize that if anything, they would add to the structure if we left them. Wasteful??? Its a damn cinder block for crying out loud........

Whats worse....the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of pounds of lead that is left all over the ocean......or a few cinder blocks made of the SAME material as what is currently being used as artificial reef now.

Plus - when we send artifacts up, we recover them.....so get your panties out of the bunch you have them in.....we dont leave anything behind

The high and mighty clueless on here never cease to amaze me.......
And you say I have my underwear in a bunch lol. I'm not getting defensive over something trivial lol. Drink your own medicine pal and have a merry Christmas [emoji1]

We stopped using an anchor...to anchor.

The boat I dived from on the North Sea a couple of years ago never anchored either. What we did is anchor a system of buoys to the wreck. The main buoy was maybe 150-200 litres and was directly attached to the anchor. A second buoy of maybe 20l was attached to the first and a weight was hung on a carabiner between them. This allowed the crew to judge direction and strength of surface currents.

The boat itself was never anchored. It uses a gps for station holding.... sort of auto pilot. It has a jet drive so no danger to divers.

What this did, which is different than all of the other North Sea boats, is to create a completely stable up-line for deco. On other boats we've used, the crew attached the main bouy to the boat and any movement the boat made caused the up-line to move up and down. This meant that you had to do your deco using a long-ish john-line so you could make accurate stops.

What this boat also has is a lift. As a diver, you can swim onto the lift at 2-3 metres depth and you would be hoisted onboard. WHAT A LUXURY.

Of course, the last diver to leave the bottom had to take the anchor with them. In fact, what we did is to release the anchor and drop it in the sand downstream from the wreck. The North Sea is a completely flat sandy bottom so no chance of the anchor getting snagged. The diver then went up the line doing his deco and once he was onboard they had a kind of airplane wing doodad that they dropped in the water. They would then drive in circles around the buoy and after a couple of rotations that thing had grabbed the line and hoisted the anchor to the surface.

Don't ask me exactly how it works, though. I was usually busy breaking down my gear while they were doing this. I really wish I had bothered to pay attention to this. It was very clever.

R..

The boat I dived from on the North Sea a couple of years ago never anchored either. What we did is anchor a system of buoys to the wreck. The main buoy was maybe 150-200 litres and was directly attached to the anchor. A second buoy of maybe 20l was attached to the first and a weight was hung on a carabiner between them. This allowed the crew to judge direction and strength of surface currents.

The boat itself was never anchored. It uses a gps for station holding.... sort of auto pilot. It has a jet drive so no danger to divers.

What this did, which is different than all of the other North Sea boats, is to create a completely stable up-line for deco. On other boats we've used, the crew attached the main bouy to the boat and any movement the boat made caused the up-line to move up and down. This meant that you had to do your deco using a long-ish john-line so you could make accurate stops.

What this boat also has is a lift. As a diver, you can swim onto the lift at 2-3 metres depth and you would be hoisted onboard. WHAT A LUXURY.

Of course, the last diver to leave the bottom had to take the anchor with them. In fact, what we did is to release the anchor and drop it in the sand downstream from the wreck. The North Sea is a completely flat sandy bottom so no chance of the anchor getting snagged. The diver then went up the line doing his deco and once he was onboard they had a kind of airplane wing doodad that they dropped in the water. They would then drive in circles around the buoy and after a couple of rotations that thing had grabbed the line and hoisted the anchor to the surface.

Don't ask me exactly how it works, though. I was usually busy breaking down my gear while they were doing this. I really wish I had bothered to pay attention to this. It was very clever.

R..

Lifts are Awesome. I know JT down south has one as some of my regular crew dives with him in the summer a few times. I looked into adding one. The tow behind Side Scan Sonar took top priority so no lift this year!

R..

Sounds something like using an anchor retrieval ball?
http://southchathamtackle.com/How_To_Use_An_Anchor_Ball.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One mans cinder block ( your showing your age here ) is the enviroments reef castle foundation. I have bore witness to all sorts of obamanations used by sport fisherman to avoid losing their anchor. Now when I dive I will know if he preceeded me. lol If I see more than 1, I promise to stack them.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom