current lodging ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
curious . where y'all staying nowadays?

For what type of trip? For my last 2 "guys' trips" I've stayed at Hotel Barracuda, which is an extremely dated "dive hotel" with no frills at all but generally clean, with cold A/C, and a somewhat uniquely great location: on the water with decent shore diving (for Cozumel) but also not too long a walk to town (only used taxis a few times during a week stay). I would also consider Scuba Club or Blue Angel for those trips, but not sure I'd like the big boats at Scuba Club.

For our family trips (4-5 people, including non-divers) we tend to try to find an AirBnB (on the water if possible, but sometimes in town) that's a bit nicer, and rent a car (or 2). Too many good restaurants with reasonable prices for us to want to stay in an AI.

If it was just the (non-diving) wife and I, I might be tempted to try Coral Princess and their on-site dive op Pepe Scuba (which I've heard good reviews of). Casa Mexicana is also on the higher end of "dive hotels" with a good on-site breakfast, but it is not on the water and no resort-like features.

If I was coming by myself, and not planning on shore diving, I might go super cheap and stay at Hotel Mary Carmen right off the main plaza. Suites Colonial would be a similar possibility.

For what type of trip? For my last 2 "guys' trips" I've stayed at Hotel Barracuda, which is an extremely dated "dive hotel" with no frills at all but generally clean, with cold A/C, and a somewhat uniquely great location: on the water with decent shore diving (for Cozumel) but also not too long a walk to town (only used taxis a few times during a week stay). I would also consider Scuba Club or Blue Angel for those trips, but not sure I'd like the big boats at Scuba Club.

For our family trips (4-5 people, including non-divers) we tend to try to find an AirBnB (on the water if possible, but sometimes in town) that's a bit nicer, and rent a car (or 2). Too many good restaurants with reasonable prices for us to want to stay in an AI.

If it was just the (non-diving) wife and I, I might be tempted to try Coral Princess and their on-site dive op Pepe Scuba (which I've heard good reviews of). Casa Mexicana is also on the higher end of "dive hotels" with a good on-site breakfast, but it is not on the water and no resort-like features.

If I was coming by myself, and not planning on shore diving, I might go super cheap and stay at Hotel Mary Carmen right off the main plaza. Suites Colonial would be a similar possibility.
I'm not necessarily looking. Haven't been on here much and curious as to what places are currently popular for recommendations to give.

I recommend Casa Mexicana, a large, well known destination for divers which offers a good daily breakfast and is conveniently located a half block walk from the Aldora pier for your morning dive pick-up.

I'm not necessarily looking. Haven't been on here much and curious as to what places are currently popular for recommendations to give.
Things haven't changed much in the last 20 years. Didn't you guys used to stay at La Ceiba / El Cid?

Things haven't changed much in the last 20 years. Didn't you guys used to stay at La Ceiba / El Cid?
yes. we stayed at La Ceiba for several years, before the El Cid takeover and the El Cid salesman telling us if we didn't buy into their timeshare, we quote, "need to find another place to stay" ... so we did and have been very happy where we've been for over a dozen years.

There were 4 of us and we rented at Villas Colibri, near the airport and Conch Shell. The property was large, 2 stories and had a kitchen, large dining table for 6, 3 bedrooms and 4 beds. Small family room with chair, couch and tv. It was very inexpensive $182 per person for the whole week. They provided 5 gallon bottles of drinking water for 50 pesos, we went through 12 gallons. Coffee in the morning, a nice little pool and basically next door to Mr. Taco. We would take a cab to the ferry for 50-100 pesos depending on the gestapo taxi service, and would walk back. Would definitely stay again, as it's a short walk to Cozumel Scuba repair, which is now storing my Cozumel gear. We ate at local restaurants and had a very enjoyable trip. Would recommend more to the guys trip, as not a whole lot to do if you are not diving or staying in the pool with beverages of your choice at the end of the day. AC was mini split in each room and very cold. Internet was very strong and fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom