Customer Service Extraordinaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TS&M...........well said. Good follow up is invaluable. Its just the simple kindness that goes such a long way. Excellent comment........by the way ER docs rock in my book.

Happy and Safe diving

Two shops (one in California and one in Maui) have gotten my loyalty simply by being willing to dig around in their junkbox of broken gear to see if they can come up with a needed repair part. In one case it was a little plastic button/clip that hold a mask strap in place. In the other case it was a pull dump wire for a BCD.

They both genuinely want to help other divers.

Kat:
123scuba.com

Here is my complaint with your website:
If I can not see the shipping & handling price before giving my personal/credit card information, I hit the back button. Yes, you offer free S & H on orders over $75.00 But what about a $50.00 item? I want to see the final cost before I commit to purchase. You had a few item I would have liked to purchase, but did not, because I did not know what the grand total would be.

Kat,
The store will show you your shipping options with their respective cost before asking for your credit card information. After you enter the shipping and billing it gives you a drop down menu with the shipping options and the cost for each one. You then select a shipping method and type of credit card. The next screen shows you the finial total and asks for your credit card information. You will see your GRAND TOTAL before entering your credit card number or commit to the purchase. I hope this clears things up. If you have any questions feel free to call.

Scuba Brad:
Thanks Guys nice follow up!!!

Another good story............and Mike you're right both good and bad should be told. While we are friendly competitors I appreicate accurate and straight forward comments ...........you've had a great customer service story that deserves to be told! Even if its a Thread by one of your competitors!

Happy Diving........my hat is off to you!

Here-Here !

My Thumbs go waaaaay up to Thunder Country Diving in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I've never purchased online because I would feel too guilty not supporting the shop!

Within 6 months of being certified I started working at the shop and I've seen first-hand the efforts the owner goes to keep his customers happy. One man comes to mind who tried a different mask every class until he was satisfied. I've seen similar cases with people trying fins.

Yes...I could save money by buying online, but going shopping is more like going to a social at our LDS! You will be remembered by name, when you were certified and what gear you prefer to use! Overall, its an amazing store, I can't say enough good things about it!

www.thundercountrydiving.com

Charlie that is how we all should operate!! At the "end of the day" we all are divers who care about the other. Thanks for sharing.

Well said Sam! The personal touch is something all of us desire. Excellent comments.

Happy and Safe Diving

Fish_Whisperer:
Middle Tennessee Scuba & Swim: Ugh... Where to begin?

[snip] guy working the counter said, in a pretty snotty tone,

[snip] but he keeps pulling stuff out and insisting that I need to take HIS underwater photography class. I tell him, once again, that I am not interested, and he STILL keeps on going on and on about how I "really need" to take his class. I'm getting irritated by this point, especially since all I really want to do is browse a little.

[snip]Again, Mr. Eager Beaver comes trotting over and telling me how fantastic this camera is, and AGAIN tells me that I need to take his photography class.

[snip]The overpricing and the pushy attitudes, plus the lack of any real variety: Three strikes and you're out. I won't go back there again.

All of the above quotes about MTSS and I know EXACTLY there who you are talking about there at that store... I've heard some "very interesting" things about his "people skills".

Edit: To follow up this post, I've heard nothing but positive comments about another employee there, Josh, from other people and how happy they were with his customer service. (just to be fair about people positive experiences with this store).

Not to turn this into a Middle Tennessee thread, but with MTSS, I have had nothing but good experience with them. The people are good, both shop staff and the independent instructors. Prices are in line with what you see for other shops located in the Cool Springs area (higher than small town or metro shops, but within my range to buy most of my gear there rather than mail order). They have good facilities including an on-site pool, real classrooms and a very nice customer loyalty program, all in an extremely high overhead area. When I compare their prices to other top-notch shops in other inland areas where I've worked, they're not out of line.

My girlfriend is taking her Open Water class there and they've been very encouraging and kind to her. That's as important to me as how they've treated me.

The person both other posters mentioned is probably the owner, and what they described as "pushy" and "attitudes", others might describe as being very passionate about diving and underwater photography.

Some other shops in the area won't get my coin because of past issues, but MTSS has given me enough reasons without charge to get my business even though they're not as inexpensive as some other stores or mail-order.

My girlfriend and I are also very happy with ScubaToys as well. Larry has done right by both of us and when MTSS doesn't have what we need, that's where we turn.

In my book, they're both top notch.

The customer service at my LDS is VERY underwhelming. I don't mind paying extra to support local diving, but make up for it in other ways. An informed and friendly sales person who is passionate about diving eases the pain in the wallet. That being said, I don't find that in my neck of the wood too often.
The BEST customer service I have EVER received have been from:
Cave Excursions: www.sidemount.com
Dive Outpost: www.diveoutpost.com

Tachy and Mike S, thank you. I have no personal axe to grind with MTSS, and yes, their facilities do look excellent. Thanks for giving "the rest of the story." I like to see other people and local dive shops succeed. As a businessman myself, I know how difficult it is, and most of the time, I'm loathe to post anything negative about another business. I'm glad that my experience with this fellow was not typical for that dive shop. Thanks again.

tachyon:
Not to turn this into a Middle Tennessee thread, but with MTSS, I have had nothing but good experience with them. The people are good, both shop staff and the independent instructors. Prices are in line with what you see for other shops located in the Cool Springs area (higher than small town or metro shops, but within my range to buy most of my gear there rather than mail order). They have good facilities including an on-site pool, real classrooms and a very nice customer loyalty program, all in an extremely high overhead area. When I compare their prices to other top-notch shops in other inland areas where I've worked, they're not out of line.

My girlfriend is taking her Open Water class there and they've been very encouraging and kind to her. That's as important to me as how they've treated me.

The person both other posters mentioned is probably the owner, and what they described as "pushy" and "attitudes", others might describe as being very passionate about diving and underwater photography.

Some other shops in the area won't get my coin because of past issues, but MTSS has given me enough reasons without charge to get my business even though they're not as inexpensive as some other stores or mail-order.

My girlfriend and I are also very happy with ScubaToys as well. Larry has done right by both of us and when MTSS doesn't have what we need, that's where we turn.

In my book, they're both top notch.

Back
Top Bottom