Cutting Free diver fins shorter for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious why fin selection makes this more important. It seems to me like drag would be drag either way, no?
Because freediving fins are very high geared as opposed to something shorter that would be easier to kick, and the lowest resistance (and thrust limitations) being split fins. For divers just wishing to move very slowly and just look at things it really doesn't matter.
They all work at very slow speeds, but then as the pace picks up any extra drag will make freediving fins exponentially more difficult to use with increased speed, and I mean speeds that other fins simply cannot produce.
Being that water is so dense anything can affect slipstream at higher speeds, and it doesn't even have to be a lot of extra speed. However, many or most scuba divers wouldn't necessarily know this because they have never experienced what it is to use freediving fins with scuba and the whole new set of problems that arise that are associated with cluttery configurations. Suddenly the whole concept of a slick slipstream becomes crystal clear when a performance propulsion system is employed and you'll see divers stripping things off and cleaning up their profile to make themselves "smaller" with less things sticking out that can catch water rushing by, which probably isn't a bad idea for all divers regardless of the fin used, I don't see any drawbacks...

Almost every SCUBA diver I dive with uses freedive fins exclusively. They are the norm not the exception.
Try them as they come, you will be satisfied. We primarily dive Cressi.

I used to have problems with heel and hamstring cramps using the shorter SCUBA blades. I no longer have that problem.

There is an easy solution here-- the CRESSI MASTER FROG. To make this fin, Cressi used the same material as in its freedive fins, but shortened the length and widened them just a bit. Because the fin was designed shorter, that flexible portion you lose when chopping freedive fins is still on the Master Frog but they still have a nice strong "snap", so they have a light touch for control, and massive power when you really need it. At full load with scuba gear, the difference between these and my full cressi freedive fins is pretty small. At lower loads, and when control is needed, and when maneuvering is needed, (think, macro photography) there is just no comparison--the Master Frogs are MUCH better. The blades are thin and light and flat, so there is no resistance to sideslipping them for effortless frog kicking and helicopter turns. They also back-kick very well. They are light, and easy to manage on a boat.

All in all, they are better than jets or traditional scuba fins in every way, except if you need "heavy feet" for drysuit diving. They are also better than freedive fins for scuba, unless your sole or dominant condition is fighting strong currents or engaging in underwater drag races in which case the freedive fins still have the edge.

But be advised, only the MASTER FROG has this design and benefits. Cressi offers several "frog" models. They are probably good, to be sure, but it is only the Master Frog that I am recommending here. it has a bigger, stronger blade than the others. As I said, it is a truly effective use of freedive fin design for scuba fins.

Best of all, you can sometimes find these at LeisurePro for around 80 bucks. Even at the retail (125 or so) they are a very good choice.

Is the Cressi Master Frog a full foot fin ? All I can find with that name are open heel fins.

The Mares Avanti Quattro Power seem to be the only full foot fins that split the difference between a standard size full foot fin and free dive fin. Maybe it is too much of a niche fin for other mfrs. to release their version.

Can you avoid cracking the fins when doing giant strides, or do you just enter with your feet together?

You should definitely enter with your feet together, your heels down and fin tips pointed up.

Back flops work too.

[video=youtube;5rh_X-4Ypmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rh_X-4Ypmc[/video]

The Cressi Frog is a open heel, therefore a no go. Too much loss of efficiency and it does not look to be much of an improvement over the Mares Quattros open heel fins I already have. Nice fin but not available as a full foot type. N

OK, but if you get the chance try a pair. I was not eager to give up my full foot freedive fin. But, I don't notice very much loss of power with the master frogs and they do have definite other benefits. They are not only bigger blades than usual, Cressi's use of its freedive fin material, but specifically designed for the size and shape of the blade, makes a real difference. My usual diving is West Palm and Jupiter so strong currents are typical. My wife had some Mares fins (not the quaatro) and was blown away with the extra power from the Cressi's and got a pair of her own (she is a very strong swimmer). I also like the ease of getting them on and off for my boat dives.

As for full vs open heel, with scuba gear I really don't think there is any difference to notice in efficiency but full foot does have the edge on comfort, though.

It's all a compromise, just giving an option that you might like and that I found to give mostly the best of both.

Or, look for whichever freedive fin has the shortest blade, that might work even better for you with no need to cut.

These fins are already marketed by Procrustes Inc.

Back
Top Bottom