Cutting Free diver fins shorter for SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Researched this a little further.

Found 4 options for factory made fins slightly shorter than standard freedive fins.

Mares Quattro Power
Omer Stingray Short
Seac Talent Short
Leaderfins Stereo Short

All are approximately 29-31 inches long total, compared to the standard 36 inch freedive fin. Looks like a good compromise length for scuba and travel.

I had the Mares Quattro Power. They were much too stiff for me. So I sold them on Ebay.

The Leaderfins Stereo Short look really interesting since they have fiberglass blades and cost $114. Good choice of sizes and 3 flexibility options too. Seems very reasonable for fiberglass fins even when you add the shipping costs from Europe.

UPDATE:

The Leaderfins Short are approx. 25" long, the same length as typical full foot fins.

I exchanged the short fins for full size fiberglass Leaderfins in standard freedive length. Currently in Cozumel and they are working great. Amazing how little effort I use to get the speed and ground covered. The blades are soft and work best kicking with pointed toes and limiting knee bend. Kind of the same kick as when freestyle swimming bare foot.

$125 plus $25 shipping to US for fiberglass fins. They ship in a nice protective plastic box. I highly recommend them.

I wish I knew someone with some freedive fins. I've always wanted to try some out of curiosity. I'm not curious enough to spend all that money, though.

In a current, or when you need speed and power, they are head and shoulders above standard scuba fins. However, if you need delicate maneuvering (think macro or inside a wreck or cave) they are definitely not the best choice. I will use them on Palm Beach drift and wreck dives where I expect strong current. If in the Keys, where maneuvering around the reef is the main thing, or at Blue Heron, for macro, then I will use my regular scuba fins. The circumstances where freedive fins would be distinctly superior to a good standard scuba fin are fairly rare. Cozumel would be a good example where you might want them (strong current drifts), Bonaire, say (reef maneuvering) probably not. You get the idea.

My main fin is the Cressi Master Frog, they took their freedive blade and re-engineered it to be shorter and wider. It gives me 90% of the power and speed of the much longer freedive fin, but is far superior for maneuvering kicks like frog, helicopter and back, not to mention being easier to move around with on the boat while standing in line to drop.

Yeah, I would not use them for wreck/cave penetrations or macro video.

I maneuver around the reef pretty well typically shooting medium and wide angle video of marine life. I flutter kick 99% of the time and helicopter turns are not a problem. I like to dive on liveaboards and small 6 packs in the tropics, so I don't have much boat concerns.

I can see that they will not suit everyone, but for me, they will work well.

These fins help me stay closer to the animal life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom