Cutting tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I have a question about appropriate cutting tools. Most of the GUE-trained divers I have seen have moved to either the Halcyon titanium knife or the Swedish knife that looks like...well, like someone broke the top couple of inches off a steak knife.

I understand that the primary use of a cutting tool is for breaking fishing line in case of entanglement. I have also heard that some rescue scenarios may require cutting through someone's harness webbing.

My experience with the Halcyon knife is that it is remarkably blunt. I could break fishing line with it, but I doubt I could cut through webbing. I am also very experienced at sharpening knives, but the Halcyon is so thick that I would need an electric grinder just to get it's cutting edge thin enough to cut.

The Swedish knife cuts line easily, but again, I doubt it would be easy or quick to cut harness webbing.

I'd appreciate your thoughts -- is it necessary for a knife to be able to cut harnesses? How hard is it to cut fishing leaders with a knife? What solution do you use?

Thanks!

Shears are your best bet for cutting monofilament line and webbing .

I use the "broken top steak knife". Never tryed to cut webbing (maybe I should test...), but I keep it really sharp and I really thing I could cut webbing with it, I confirm it to you as soon as I decide to ruin some webbing for test...

My steak knife goes through webbing like a hot knife through butter (I've tried both). In any case, I also keep a pair of shears in my dry suit pocket. Much easier to use shears in many cases (especially wire leader).

Why not test your cutting tool of choice before you have to rely on it?

I've found that most knives with a serrated edge will work nicely on webbing. Many ... but not all ... non-serrated edges will work well too.

A lot of the steel used to make knives non-corrosive don't hold an edge very well, and have to be sharpened from time to time. Most knives that will hold a good edge will tend to rust, and have to be cleaned from time to time.

Moral of the story ... pull them puppies out of the sheath every once in a while and make sure they're gonna do what you THINK they're gonna do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was just on a tech charter with three tech 1 guys, my fundies instructor, myself, and one other non GUE DIR guy. We all had either the UK Remora, or an actual steak knife with the tip cut off.

I bought half a dozen steak knifes from the dollar store, and just snipped the tips off. If its rusty, I replace it.

Tom

I had the UK Remora mounted on my LP inflator hose waaaaaaay before I went into a Hogarthian set up. I still have the knife, and I loved it (very sharp, nice serrated edges). Now that I think about it, it would be pretty nice to put it on the harness.

Regarding the EMT shears, are you guys using a particular brand? I had a set, and it rusted up after about 6 months, so I just stopped carrying them. I

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom