Dallas Children's Aquarium update...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy campers!!

First of all I want to say thanks to any of you who made it to volunteer for the State Fair at the aquarium. From what I've heard the "Sneak Preview" went very well considering only about 1/3 of the exhibits were online.

I was in and out of the hospital most of the month of October with diverticulitis, (digestive track thingy) and missed out on the entire Fair. :(

Anywho, things are coming along nicely, more and more exhibits are coming online daily...it takes sometimes weeks or even a month or two, for the water in an exhibit to get set up properly to allow animals to be put in them so the addition of exhibits has been a bit of slow process.

More animals are being added to the touch tank as they come in and the water is stablized enough for them. Hopefully the Bamboo sharks will be in there soon.

The Hawksbill Sea Turtle is in it's exhibit, it's the same rescue turtle we have had for many years.

Cownose rays are in the Stingray Bay touch tank, when volunteers are available, we will be doing scheduled feedings a couple times a day, allowing guests to purchase a small amout of food and hand feed the rays.

They were putting fish in the schooling tank when I was there last week and expecting more animals to be coming in on a regular basis. The schooling tank is just outside of the gift shop and the aquarists were telling the girl that works in the gift shop that is was here responsibility to make sure the fish were schooling in the right direction.:D

They got in the White Tip sharks and the BEEEEE-YOU-TEE-FUL Zebra sharks(3 of them about 5'-6" long), who are in the large shark tank out back along with Bonnet Head sharks, Southern stingrays and Eagle rays, speaking of beautiful...it's quite an impressive exhibit.

I'll be working this coming Saturday from 1-4 if you want to come by and say hi.

Also the official Grand Opening weekend is the first weekend of December (3-5), I belive there will be free admission that entire weekend and I'll be working the 1-4 shift that Saturday also.

Come by and say hi and support Dallas' newest attaction.

p.s. B.T.W. those of you who are saying "what aquarium? That boy's crazy!"
It's the former Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park, now fully renovated and renamed "The Children's Aquarium at Fair Park". Located accross from the Band Shell and in the shadow the the Texas Star ferris wheel.

p.s.s. If you are interested in volunteering, please PM me and I will pass on contact information to get you started as well as answer any questions you might have about volunteering.
Dive operations should begin sometime after the first of the year...we get to dive with sharks!!!! whoo hoo!!

Back
Top Bottom