Damaged gear due to airlines....any luck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes my dive shop will replace the aqualung 1600 bag.
This happened on American. Scuba gear is covered up to $3,000 per the webpage.
The local person at the airport is a diver and I am getting a call tomorrow so we will see what happens.

as for fixing the BC? I wouldn't want to sky dive with a parachute that had a rip in it that had been sewed.

No I didn't have DAN insurance, I wasn't aware of it for my trip.

You may want to raise a hairy eyebrow to your OW instructor. He need not beat the issue to death, but I would expect them to mention DAN in more than just passing.

This is perhaps one of the highlights of a low quality instructor vs a good one. In my opinion.

Yes my dive shop will replace the aqualung 1600 bag.
This happened on American. Scuba gear is covered up to $3,000 per the webpage.
The local person at the airport is a diver and I am getting a call tomorrow so we will see what happens.

as for fixing the BC? I wouldn't want to sky dive with a parachute that had a rip in it that had been sewed.

Probably best you buy a new one. Unlike with parachutes, the BCD mfgr does not have authorized repair facilities who can do that repair.

So, what do you do with a flat tire?

Personally I would have zero problem with a patched BC, unless it was just really trashed. A puncture is no problem to patch safely and will last as long as the rest of the BC.

Most likely it was the TSA, not the airline, who tore up your bag. They are not very much quality people and imagine that they rummage through your stuff.

N

Most likely it was the TSA, not the airline, who tore up your bag. They are not very much quality people and imagine that they rummage through your stuff.

N

That seems unlikely. If stuff was stolen I would vote for the TSA, but for actual physical damage it was probably caught in handling equipment or run over, etc. The TSA doesn't really have the resources or desire to draw and quarter your gear.

That seems unlikely. If stuff was stolen I would vote for the TSA, but for actual physical damage it was probably caught in handling equipment or run over, etc. The TSA doesn't really have the resources or desire to draw and quarter your gear.
I've had the TSA not replace the cap on my open pony bottle, and the LED disappear from a dive light (probably dropped out when they opened the light). So the TSA is a good theory. Maybe they did not close the zipper properly.

Make a cell phone video of your damaged gear and post it on youtube. Send a link to the CEO of the airline and post the link on every forum.

I doubt it was TSA as the bag had a TSA lock. They could have opened it easily.
i will find out what AA will do in the am and the web says my gear is covered up to $3000. So the $1100 should be no problem....I hope!

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 11:55 PM ----------

The TSA lock was never opened as the bag cover was ripped off!
Lock was still attached to the zippers. After my bag was compromised i took it to my dive shop and showed them and asked to have my bcs filled just to make sure and sure enough mine had a hole in it. I'm glad I checked!

This is why I love my Dive Caddy, I check next to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom