DAN - is their insurance coverage necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You ask, "How about if you travel to some dive site OUTSIDE the us?"

This sentence from SpyderTeK's last paragraph seems to have answered that--"And a double deffinate YES get the insurance if you are diving in 3rd world nations like Mexico and South America where they may indeed let you die if you cant pay."

Are you looking for something additional?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

SpyderTek once bubbled...
"...but then Ill be up to my eyeballs in debt for the rest of my life trying to pay off the $75,000 for my 3 chamber rides!!!.." ALSO a load of crap. It is ALSO the law in this country that emergency medical expenses only have 2 (two) years to collect on the debt or they are errased AND they are NOT valid to be placed on your credit history.
Spydertek

You should know what you're talking about before you post.

What is crap is the paragraph above.

The statute of limitations varies state by state. It might be 2 years (though I doubt it) in some states. In others it could be four or even six.

Regardless, however, that's irrelevant. Once suit is initiated, the statute of limitations no longer applies. Once judgment enters, they are good for 20 years and can be renewed.

I've represented debtor's who had to file bankruptcy in order to get out of medical debt. I've also represented doctors and hospitals for whom I chased deadbeats who thought that they had some type of angle like the garbage you wrote above.

Their attitude usually improved the first time I had them arrested on a payment contempt and brought into court, in handcuffs, to explain why they weren't paying the judgment. I've had houses, bank accounts, cash, furniture and, in one memorable case, a 30' Osprey seized and sold at a Sheriff's sale to pay medical debts.

As for the drek about free care, hospitals in the U.S. are obligated to treat. However, who do you think will get better treatment. The guy who has insurance or the guy who's next of kin just finished filling out the free care forms.

Of course, like Spydertek said, if you're comfortable being a welfare deadbeat with no personal responsibility, no morals and no interest in the quality of care that you receive, then go without insurance.

Consider this, however. While hospitals in the United States may be required to treat deadbeats, that doesn't apply out of the country. Coincidentally, many people like to dive out of the country in places like Grand Cayman, Bermuda, Jamaica and the Bahamas. So don't expect treatment there unless you've got proof of insurance that is acceptable to the hospital.

We found this out when our daughter needed to go to the hospital on Grand Cayman. Great people, great care, wonderful doctors and nurses. Who, not surprisingly, didn't lift a finger until I guaranteed the payment on a credit card. The fact that our health insurance (My wife has Tufts, I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and our daughter is covered under both by some formula I don't recall at the moment) in the States reimbursed us was, as the GC billing person said, "nice but not our concern. However, we'll give you whatever you need in order to collect from them yourself."

Finally, the air ambulances don't move until they've got a guarantee of payment. I'd rather not be spouting off about imaginary U.S. laws to the guy dispatching the Medevac when I'm on the deck of a liveaboard curled into a little ball and frothing blood.

I've got whatever the best plan from DAN is called. Its $99.00 per year, has high coverage limits, good ancillary benefits and no depth limits.

I've never used it. However, I've seen it used. Its worth every nickle.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Is this the law throughout the USA, or just in NY/NJ states?

Until he provides a citation, I'm fairly confident that this is not true anywhere except Spydertek's fertile imagination.

The name of your policy, discussed in my post above, is DAN Preferred.

It's the one I buy, as well.

Agreed about the ancillary benefits. The trip cancellation/interruption feature can be very valuable, and it's a benefit not found in homeowner's or personal medical coverage.

Moreover, "...you better belive your sweat ass when you show up with the bends that" hotels, air carriers, prepaid dive ops and the like are not going to accommodate your problems free of charge. And, there's no law that they have to, in the USA or elsewhere.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

For the little amount that it costs to carry dive insurance per year... I would say... YES... It is definitely worth having... Remember, insurance is only good if you need it... Wouldn't you rather be safe? Not worth taking the chance...
I will agree with some about how outright HORRID most medical insurance companies are... And yes... especially in how they treat those in the medical profession... However... I feel that carrying dive insurance is a bit different... The cost of needing transport or a chamber would be unreal without it...:wacko:

OHDiver once bubbled...
The cost of needing transport or a chamber would be unreal without it...:wacko:

A gentleman on a Carribean liveaboard trip that some friends of mine were on got hit, probably attributable to dehydration.

No CNS involvement.

The air ambulance was waiting when the Liveaboard diverted to the nearest strip. They flew him to Miami and he took a few rides in the Chamber.

They flew his wife on a commercial carrier. They paid all of the charges and kept both of them in a Miami hotel until he was cleared to fly.

DAN paid everything.

Total cost was in excess of $35,000.00.

I know that this figure is accurate because we have the bills in my LDS. We've removed personally identifying information and obtained permission from the patient to use them during OW classes to show what happens if you screw up.

All for not more than $99.00 per year.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Until he provides a citation, I'm fairly confident that this is not true anywhere except Spydertek's fertile imagination.

Yeah, I dug it up from the same fertile grounds they grow 30' Ospreys. :)

As Doc V pointed out, I qualified my statements with regard to locals outside the USA.

I am also willing to capitulate that my information may vary from state to state as I have only personal and work experience in the state of NJ.

However, as I said, my information comes from first hand experience working in the medical profession at trauma centers and hospitals (at least once in the ER billing department). Also, from showing up with no insurance many times at the local ER. Largest bill to date to disappear after 2 years has been (just) over $35,000.

Note: This situation does NOT hold true for private medical treatments. IE: Going to your PCP, offsite radiology, hematology, etc centers. It only holds true in the case of emergency medical treatments.

So, have fun suing the underprivileged NE Wrecks. Oh and forgot about the derogatory "deadbeat" remarks. Glad y'all got money but remember, "...there but for the grace of God..." go you.

Spydertek

SpyderTek once bubbled...

So, have fun suing the underprivileged NE Wrecks. Oh and forgot about the derogatory "deadbeat" remarks. Glad y'all got money but remember, "...there but for the grace of God..." go you.

Spydertek

Underprivileged??? They received a service for which they were expected to pay. They didn't. I helped them see the error of their ways.

I never said that I had any money. I merely pointed out that people who don't pay their bills are deadbeats, stiffs and scum.

However, sounds like I'm hitting a little close to home. What's the matter, afraid to pick up the phone? Car been towed off again? Or are you just annoyed that the clerk at the food store confiscated your card?

Grace has nothing to do with it. More like motivation and responsibility. I pay my debts. Sorry if that offends you.

The fact that your employer might have had a policy of writing off bad debts after 2 years doesn't make it a law. Unless you can prove otherwise, with a citation, then I simply don't believe you.

In your case, what you're probably seeing is a business decision to write off a bad debt because you were assetless. And how proud of that you must be!!! You managed to stiff people who tried to help you. Too bad for them, I guess.

Kinda makes me wonder why you have dive gear when you could have paid some of the people who took care of you.

Regardless, the poster asked whether he should have insurance. You told him to rely upon the free care pool if he was diving in the United States. Your advice is incredibly inappropriate and, in fact, dangerous. It is the product of a weak mind with poor reasoning skills, compounded by the fact that you apparently feel that the World owes you something.

Short Answer: Buy the insurance.

Oh, by the way, two other issues for you.

1. Osprey makes the Osprey 30XC

2. Your profile states that you are an Internet Technician. If that's so, why are more than half the photographs on your website blanks?

If your were as good a billing clerk as you are an "Internet Technician", no wonder the debts were written off.

So run and hide, little liberal. Wait for your welfare check while living off the work of other people.

Just so you know... re: the thread on DAN insurance... I totally understand where you are coming from and I feel your pain. It is quite frustrating trying to explain it to those that don't live it... Good work in your comeback by the way... :appls:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom