DAN's 2004 Injury/Fatalities Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

statistics = exact science about not so exact numbers

all this numbers don't mean anything and should not be used for anything but drawing graphs...

what jerk actually calculated the "median depth" - when I go diving next time, I'll be very nervous at 92ft, but when I hit 100 it will be ok :)

jviehe:
The report is always pretty interesting. Here are some highlights i found in this years report (2002 data)

-reported dive injuries are down, but reported dive fatalities are up, but still very few at less than 100

From PDE data (voluntary survey of 17000 dives by 1500 divers)

-nitrox usage is up, and a higher % of women use nitrox than men by almost twice as much, though women still make up less than 30% of divers

-computers remain the most widely used method of planning a dive, and a larger amount of divers use guides

-most divers wait 22-30hrs before flying after diving

-of about 9000 dives, equipment problems were reported less than 1% of the time, with the weight belt and fins being most commonly reported at 44 times each

-there were 7 cases of DCS in the 17k dives, with an overall tendancy of 5.5 cases per 10k dives in the last 5 years

Injuries

-163 chambers reported about 1100 cases of DCS

-54% of injured had 5 or more years of diving since cert and 50% had less than 20 dives in the past 12 months

-injured divers were mostly using air, with 10% on nitrox, and 5% on heliox or trimix

-median depth for injured was 92ft

-most of the time symptoms of DCS appeard within 3-6hrs of diving, with 14% reporting symptoms before another dive!

Fatalities

-89 reported

-68% of male deaths were aged 40+

-men with 6yrs or more since cert were most frequent fatalities

-half of fatalities had reported equipment problems, with BC being most common, and computer in 1 case

Great report if you can get it. Might try Kazaa

jviehe:
-most of the time symptoms of DCS appeard within 3-6hrs of diving, with 14% reporting symptoms before another dive!
The rest of it doesnt sound all that high percentage wise, but this does appear a bit worrying, "i have symptoms, lets do that second dive!!" - i think this is quite wise.

Thankfully i havent seen the kind of stuff Mike Ferrera talks about (i also havent been diving anywhere near as long to see it) - but i try not to look at many other divers whilst diving, only those i consider good divers - who i try to study, emulate and work/talk with. I have seen a few poorer divers, but no near misses yet.

Laser:
The report can be found on DAN's website but you need to be a member.

Changing a subject for a second. That's something I don't understand. I'm a member of DAN Europe but it doesn't allow me to enter the US website. And DAN US publishes reports much earlier than Europe.
Can somebody explain this to me?
Mania

Phaethon:
I look after my buddy as if they were uninsured family.

Spouses with a large life insurance policies are asking for trouble... ;^)

K.
Some people joke that if they buy it on a dive their buddy can keep their gear. Personally I also think that's asking for trouble... :wink:

When I started the thread I was just trying to make the point that after reading the report it opened my eyes a bit.

I am sure if I read a report about 3000 lb cars I might re-think my driving habits. But seeing how I drive a 8500 lb truck others need to watch out! (JOKE)

FreeFloat:
Some people joke that if they buy it on a dive their buddy can keep their gear. Personally I also think that's asking for trouble... :wink:

Especially if you have way better gear than said buddy... :wink:
(Look out behind you!)

If you dig into most accidents and incidents they have a chain of problems/mistakes that add up to a big problem.

From my own experience and observation it usually takes a string of 5 things in a row to make a major accident, rarely less than 4.

I get concerned when 2 things happen right together, if the third bad thing follows I am implimenting the terminate the dive plan. Four things in a row and it is a declared emergency and I am "outa there!"
After one of these situations I review and determine the cause and fix it before the next dive

Most incidents in most fields tend to be a chain of events over one failiure. In most areas where life support and other equipment is needed (diving,aviation etc) critical units are redundant and therefore a single failiure is unlikely to cause fatal problems. However a series of small failiures or a persons reaction after a failiure can do everything.

Aviation is the same, most incidents are 3 or more separate problems leading to an incident pit and very rarely does 1 single point of failiure cause disaster.

The only real diving exception i can thinkof is perhaps heart attack.

Its the so called "incident pit" that people are taught in training to recognise and avoid sliding into.

My cave instructor called it pieces of pie. Small thing goes wrong, you take a piece, bigger thing goes wrong, you take a bigger piece. At some point theres not much left, and its time to call it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom