Darn I miss DeepSeaSupply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin got busy doing other stuff, building a new place in his new location, so he moved on. It would have been great if he could have sold his gear designs to another manufacturer, but that did not happen, so it is a net loss.

Many who lack talent are abrasive. Many who have talent are abrasive. Being abrasive is (IMO) an expression of frustration. Frustration is present in both the genius and dolt.

I know because I get frustrated every day over something, but I'm more dolt than genius :wink:

Tobin got busy doing other stuff, building a new place in his new location, so he moved on. It would have been great if he could have sold his gear designs to another manufacturer, but that did not happen, so it is a net loss.
Seems like he sold some of his stock to Randy at Piranha.

Seems like he sold some of his stock to Randy at Piranha.
stock, not production or production rights... DSS stuff is no longer being made. As supplies run out, there is no more.

I bought up a bunch of DSS OPV units to put on any future wings I get. I only wish I had gotten a few of his SMB units. The weight plates also would have been a good thing to get. I need one more set for the daughter for her drysuit diving...

I have DSS bp's, I think they're great. A lot of attention paid to detail. Really top of the line... but from what I read the issue with DSS wings was that in order to work on the bladder they had to be sent in for any kind of work whereas your other wings (I too settled on VDH 35# single wing) are put together with a zipper?

Maybe not the end of the world and really how often do you need to service the bladder.... but still, for someone that was so innovative and cutting edge makes you wonder why DSS were sewed up?

Oh,..... I only had a a little interaction with Tobin... I was told his demeanor was a bit crude...and boy he did not disappoint! Kind of reminded me of Ian? Yeah? (for the record, I gained a lot of knowledge from both of them... even if they aren't the worlds nicest people, lol). Dealing with either one of them is / was kind of like going to one of those offensive restaurants. You know you're getting good stuff, but come prepared with extra thick skin!!

OMG so I have been out of the game for a little while but I wanted to dust off my DSS backplate and wing so I could do some diving with my fiancée. I was going to get her a DSS rig for a present - but alas I see they are no more :( Does anyone have a recommendation for the next best option?

OMG so I have been out of the game for a little while but I wanted to dust off my DSS backplate and wing so I could do some diving with my fiancée. I was going to get her a DSS rig for a present - but alas I see they are no more :( Does anyone have a recommendation for the next best option?
Vintage Double Hose 35# (or whatever size lift you need) wing and just about any backplate you can find. These are fairly inexpensive;

I love my VDH wing, and I own Dive Rite, DGX, and Halcyon wings to compare it to. It's the best bang for the buck. The others are fine too.

Vintage Double Hose 35# (or whatever size lift you need) wing and just about any backplate you can find. These are fairly inexpensive;

I love my VDH wing, and I own Dive Rite, DGX, and Halcyon wings to compare it to. It's the best bang for the buck. The others are fine too.

A VDH wing and freedom backplate is an excellent combo, though the later part is currently a bit hard to get.

I have DSS bp's, I think they're great. A lot of attention paid to detail. Really top of the line... but from what I read the issue with DSS wings was that in order to work on the bladder they had to be sent in for any kind of work whereas your other wings (I too settled on VDH 35# single wing) are put together with a zipper?

Maybe not the end of the world and really how often do you need to service the bladder.... but still, for someone that was so innovative and cutting edge makes you wonder why DSS were sewed up?

Oh,..... I only had a a little interaction with Tobin... I was told his demeanor was a bit crude...and boy he did not disappoint! Kind of reminded me of Ian? Yeah? (for the record, I gained a lot of knowledge from both of them... even if they aren't the worlds nicest people, lol). Dealing with either one of them is / was kind of like going to one of those offensive restaurants. You know you're getting good stuff, but come prepared with extra thick skin!!
Which “Ian”?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom