# days required for PADI Rescue diver course ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently taking my Rescue Class. We have 12 hours of academics (4 days) and 32 hours (4 days) of open water scenarios/etc.. In addition to this I'm taking the EFR class which is 8 hours (2 days). My instructor said they are very intensive and very thorough classes. It sounds like he may be right.

I'd really like to thank everyne for their time and effort in articulating their responses. Now to be a good parent and ommunicate to the child.

Having done it, yes the PADI rescue course was the most challenging i've done to date and made me realise that without it, how would one have the slightest hope of helping anyone else in danger. But I don't feel it made me a completely competent 'rescuer'. I agree totally about the need to refresh 'rescue' skills, but how does one do it, practically? Is there any kind of PADI 'refresh' course? Is the only option to redo the rescue course? I'm not a 'home' diver, so don't have a regular dive club circle to practise with as suggested in the handbook

I agree with the comments about not rushing. You have a lot to learn from the instructors. Also, If you want to become a Dive Master, it is good to take it with the instructor you are likely to work with in the future.

Lastly, I think vacation is a very expensive place to go to dive school. I would rather do training when I can drive 30 minutes to a dive sight vs spending big $'s to train in the Caribbean. I live in Texas and if you can handle the mud pits here, the clear water of the Caribbean is a breeze.

I own a tropical resort and do teach this course to people who just turn up - I tell them it'll take three full days so long as they work conscientiously. If anyone contacts me beforehand to arrange to do it I always put them off and tell them to do it at home. Not that I don't like teaching it, but I think it should be done to a much more relaxed timescale over at least a week or two. Similarly with the divemaster course - I really don't like teaching it to anyone who won't be with me at least a month, because it's so much about time in the water. My own DM course was an internship that took over a year, and my own Rescue course was spread over several weeks of evenings plus two days at weekends. We didn't just do everything once in one place, but several times in different environments, sometimes land-based, sometimes boat-based.

As in so many diving courses, it depends whether you want to learn something and become a better diver, or just get the card. If it's for your son the first thing to do is to dispel the desire he probably has for instant gratification.

Back
Top Bottom