DC1000 Macro question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me help you out on the digital zoom... turn it off and don't use it.

Digital zooms are just cropping, if you are going to crop then it is better to do it later in post processing.

Digital zooms are awful.

This goes for ALL digital zooms, not just Sealife ones.

Only optical zooms (i.e. the lens is actually moving) are worth using.

Let me help you out on the digital zoom... turn it off and don't use it.

Digital zooms are just cropping, if you are going to crop then it is better to do it later in post processing.

Digital zooms are awful.

This goes for ALL digital zooms, not just Sealife ones.

Only optical zooms (i.e. the lens is actually moving) are worth using.
Then, can you explain why I am getting great pictures with digital zoom?

Maybe it is helping you see/frame your subject better without getting any closer? You will be more likely to get some pixelation with digital zoom, just as if you keep increasing the images size on your computer screen. All things equal you are definitely better off turning DZ off permanently. However, it obviously works for you.

Good job on the tiny stuff. I wish I had more opportunity to work on similar shots.

Because you are a good photographer to start with.

All digital zooms are is in-camera cropping. That's it, nothing more. When you use a digital zoom, you effectively are just pre-cropping the picture... you would get the same effect by simply enlarging them in photoshop, plus you would get more control.

No optical resolution increase is gained by using a digital zoom, they just don't work that way.

The only advantage they have is that it does its interpolation before the camera software applies compression. With a 10 megapixel camera set to low ISO this is not much of an advantage... and it is offset by the fact that you lose flexibility that you would otherwise have when cropping during post processing. Additionally, with digital zoom you simply have to accept whatever interpolation the camera sticks on there, whereas if you REALLY want to blow something up you can do it with software in PP that allows you to control exactly what type of interpolation is employed and where it is used (Alien Skin Blow-Up, Genuine Fractals, etc)...

Here's how Kodak explains it:

What is digital zoom?

Digital zoom crops your image and magnifies the result of the cropping. This magnification process is called interpolation. To make the cropped area bigger, digital zoom makes up, or interpolates, pixels to add to the image, which may give less than satisfactory results.

Using the digital zoom allows you to get closer to your subject when you want to be discreet about taking pictures, like at a graduation or a religious ceremony.

Sacrificing image quality to capture the moment is more important than not getting the picture at all.

If you plan to use this mode, purchase a telephoto lens attachment so you don't have to use the digital zoom. Of course, you may use the digital zoom along with the telephoto lens attachment.

Kodak Explains Digital Zoom

Consumer Reports gives their opinion...

And here is more info if you want to get your GEEK on... :)

Digital Interpolation

Your images would look every bit as good if you didn't use digital zoom and just upsized them (cropped them) in post.

Joe, I will send you a pic as soon as I can. Thanks for you help!

Brett

Here is a sample pic of what I'm talking about. It looks to me like the autofocus is acting up.

Attachments

• PICT0404.jpg
    PICT0404.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 69
Here is a sample pic of what I'm talking about. It looks to me like the autofocus is acting up.
With such a distance from this small subject, it appears that your camera focus is behind the subject on the reef itself. Notice how clear the background is :wink:

Try moving in closer to your subject to keep the focus local to the subject

flamingotongue0907261.jpg

With such a distance from this small subject, it appears that your camera focus is behind the subject on the reef itself. Notice how clear the background is :wink:

Try moving in closer to your subject to keep the focus local to the subject

flamingotongue0907261.jpg

I totally agree with you CoolTech. But when I get much closer it gets even worse. It seems the autofocus is hinky (technical term). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It probably boils down to operator error but it doesn't seem to follow any discernible pattern. Basically, at a certain distance the autofocus stops working completely, the brackets that turn green when the subject is in focus turn red when you're up close. It certainly doesn't autofocus at the 2" range. I'm NOT bashing the camera, it works great otherwise, and again it's probably my fault, i just can't seem to get satisfactory results for macro shots.

Brett

Back
Top Bottom