Dcs Incident At Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date is per the thread on CDF, 3 April. My understanding is they both happened on the same day.
I guess it depends on your sources. All I have is the FB post.

Not to belabor the question, but does anyone know what happened at Ginnie with this unfortunate fellow?

We were there the day of the incident (Sunday, April 3rd, the same day as the other fatality) but we did not directly observe anything about the DCS incident. Give the way symptoms developed post dive, it was not an obvious incident and it was very much over shadowed by the other fatal in water incident.

However, I spoke with Rose April 5th, and at that point she indicated that it appeared the diver was not going to make it, and in fact it seems he may have passed that same day, although I' not positive on the date of death.

What I have heard regarding the incident, is that he got blown out of the Ear He was also reported to have been using/carrying a camera, which may have increased his task loading.

Either way, he appears he could have better chosen his exit, and it appears based on the information I've heard that he could have managed the exit better.

Last edited:
What I have heard regarding the incident, is that he got blown out of the Eye, with a resulting rapid ascent and some (unknown to me) amount of missed decompression
I heard it was the Ear, it's pretty difficult to get blown out of the Eye... (typo?) ☺

I heard it was the Ear, it's pretty difficult to get blown out of the Eye... (typo?) ☺
Yes, sorry, a typo. You'd have to work really hard to get blown out the Eye.

I'll correct it in the post.

Reactions: Jax
[rumor] Rumor says he missed 20 minutes O2 deco. [/rumor]

If it were me, I would hope I'd dunk my butt back down.

[rumor] Rumor says he missed 20 minutes O2 deco. [/rumor]

If it were me, I would hope I'd dunk my butt back down.
Debatable. There are risks to that too. I once talked to a guy here who skipped 50 minutes of deco in a failed attempt to save a buddy. They took him to the chamber and her was ready to ride, but they just watched him for a few hours - then sent him home.

I'm not really not sure what happened in this situation so I am speaking in generalities.

For me it is not debatable in any way, shape, or form. If I missed deco stops I'd go back down and do them, and add extra time for good measure.

Debatable. There are risks to that too. I once talked to a guy here who skipped 50 minutes of deco in a failed attempt to save a buddy. They took him to the chamber and her was ready to ride, but they just watched him for a few hours - then sent him home.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom