Dcs Incident At Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely! I step up my cardio for at least two months before a dive trip, and I carry tanks around my yard.

I recently learned I need to swap out some cardio for actually doing frog kicks to lap swim in the pool. I was too sore and tired for my liking after my recent trip.

You could swim breaststroke for cardio. It may take a little instruction and the kick isn't quite the modified frog kick but still... just subtract 8 (or was it 10) from your target heart rate.

Like Jax, I don't have a great deal of confidence in a hospital providing prompt re-compression treatment even if there is a chamber on the premise. They need to recognize the need for prompt treatment (which is problematic given the way the average ER works), the chamber and staff have to be available, and a doctor will have to sign the order for the treatment. That's three ways to fail.
I spent almost 6 hrs in the ER exam before being taken to the chamber, I was supposed to have been put on Oxygen, but that never happened,... Now granted, I waited overnight before calling DAN about my issue. Luckily most of my symptoms resolved while in the chamber.

I spent almost 6 hrs in the ER exam before being taken to the chamber, I was supposed to have been put on Oxygen, but that never happened,... Now granted, I waited overnight before calling DAN about my issue. Luckily most of my symptoms resolved while in the chamber.

Holy cow. What are we taught as divers?--if it might be DCS, oxygen before anything else?

For those who don't know enough about Truk Lagoon to understand the reference above, perhaps this will give a glimpse....

I have only been there once, and that trip included a full day of touring what was the main island when it was the main Japanese military base. It was a Saturday, so school was not in session, but we did visit several school sites. As a career educator, I was quite interested, so I checked carefully. The buildings were all WWII Japanese military buildings, and the only changes since the mid 1940s was new roofs. The screens were heavily rusted, with gaping holes. I looked in through one to a 12th grade class, which was in one section of a large room. There was a teacher's desk and a handful of student desks, all thoroughly rusted. One small bookshelf contained one book. That was it. That was what was available for all of 12th grade education.

I purchased some small items at the gift shop of the hotel, and the clerk on duty could not do the arithmetic needed to give me my change. I helped her.

There was no electricity on the entire island because 3 years before a landslide had taken out the island's only generator, and it had not yet been replaced.

The financing for the school system (and other things on the island) comes from the U.S. taxpayers. The organization responsible for replacing the generator was FEMA--also from the U.S.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Another bunch of posts have been moved to a different thread. If you want to discuss the availability of chambers in various parts of the world, please do it there. This thread is located in A&I, which has its own special rules. Please stay on topic in this forum.

[rumor] Rumor says he missed 20 minutes O2 deco. [/rumor]

If it were me, I would hope I'd dunk my butt back down.
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

Please do not write nonsense, dear husband was diving theorist, regularly publishedtheir knowledge and everyone he could envy his diving skills. Michaela Sladek - wife and publisher of czech diving magazine

Hello Michaela, welcome. Would you care to share with us what the final analysis of your husband's illness that contributed to his death? It does sound a bit like he may have had the chokes but perhaps instead a late reaction to something in his tank? or not a dive related illness at all? You needn't share if you'd rather not of course, and we'll respect your decision but sharing with us could serve to end any speculation or "rumors".

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Hello Michaela, welcome. Would you care to share with us what the final analysis of your husband's illness that contributed to his death? It does sound a bit like he may have had the chokes but perhaps instead a late reaction to something in his tank? or not a dive related illness at all? You needn't share if you'd rather not of course, and we'll respect your decision but sharing with us could serve to end any speculation or "rumors".

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

The accident is under investigation. However, if someone with whom you spent the dive and did not see the dive profile, writing negatively about his diving skills, it is not against a man who can not defend themselves and that's not true, fair negotiations.

It may be appropriate to remind the participants in this thread about some rules and guidelines for the A&I forum:

Someone has died or been injured. Please show the proper dignity, etiquette and refrain from any demeaning remarks. We discourage the family from reading these threads, but you can bet they still will. Let's be civil, sensitive and still remain relevant. This forum is only intended for learning and not assigning blame.
Special Rules for the Accidents and Incidents Forum

Mishap analysis doesn't waste time asking "what was he thinking?" either, but rather asks "what did he do?" We can agonize all day long about why Joe didn't ditch his weights when ditching his weights would have saved him, but it doesn't really matter. The action that will prevent a repeat of Joe's mishap is "ditch weights."
--
What we're trying to do in the A&I forum is to provide a forum for a Safety type analysis of mishaps; to identify actions that lead to mishaps and actions that can prevent mishaps. The mishap analysis mindset is difficult for those who lack formal training in it, as our natural tendencies are to find out who or what to blame and seek justice.
Mishap analysis & "Blamestorming"

And finally, bowlofpetunias' excellent post about the Victim perspective:
It is great to say "the family should not read this thread--they should go to the condolences thread." Some people post insensitive comments as if that disclaimer makes everything fair game. Well the loved ones were WARNED not to read them so if they don't heed the warning... The impact on the survivors is seen as less significant than the need/right to dissect the event for their own purposes.

I can tell you that the family is and will be reading the discussion at the time they are the most raw trying to find answers and come to grips with their loss.

That said, @michaela s , there is another aspect to the A&I forum: The main purpose of the discussions here is to find lessons we can apply to our own diving and improve the safety of our own diving. When information is scarce, it's natural to speculate. That may be appropriate, but it may also be inappropriate depending on the way we speculate. That balance isn't always easy to find, and some posts may seem overly harsh to those directly involved with a fatality even if they aren't necessary intended that way. There's a fine line here, and not even the moderators are always successful in seeing where that line goes. I want you to use the report button if there are posts that in your opinion violate the rules for the A&I forum, and I'd like to remind you that the best cure against speculation is factual information. If you have relevant information to share, that will help the Scubaboard community to understand what caused the loss of your husband's life and hopefully lessen the risks of something similar happening to other divers.

Thank you for joining us, and my sincere condolences for your loss.

It may be appropriate to remind the participants in this thread about some rules and guidelines for the A&I forum:

Special Rules for the Accidents and Incidents Forum

Mishap analysis & "Blamestorming"

And finally, bowlofpetunias' excellent post about the Victim perspective:

That said, @michaela s , there is another aspect to the A&I forum: The main purpose of the discussions here is to find lessons we can apply to our own diving and improve the safety of our own diving. When information is scarce, it's natural to speculate. That may be appropriate, but it may also be inappropriate depending on the way we speculate. That balance isn't always easy to find, and some posts may seem overly harsh to those directly involved with a fatality even if they aren't necessary intended that way. There's a fine line here, and not even the moderators are always successful in seeing where that line goes. I want you to use the report button if there are posts that in your opinion violate the rules for the A&I forum, and I'd like to remind you that the best cure against speculation is factual information. If you have relevant information to share, that will help the Scubaboard community to understand what caused the loss of your husband's life and hopefully lessen the risks of something similar happening to other divers.

Thank you for joining us, and my sincere condolences for your loss.

see website
http:// buddymag.cz/aktuality/tomas-sladek-zemrel-ve-stredu-6-dubna-po-patecnim-ponoru-s-ccr-liberty-v-ginnie-springs-florida-557

Back
Top Bottom