Dealing with a buddy's decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich-hey mon Im not critiqueing you but the bubble fizz from tank o rings is pretty common around the pacific. It might be a personality flaw in me but I can't accept it in tanks I"m using.I travel with spare O rings and a felt pen."my tanks" for that trip get marked and new o rings fitted.
-I have the "luxury" of travelling with a large family so weight restrictions aren't an issue.

This discussion is interesting, but much of it really isn't getting at the question I wanted to ask. I didn't want to know what risk behaviors you felt comfortable with or not; I wanted to know how people handle it when a buddy/teammate appears set on doing something with which you are simply not comfortable. If, as DD is, you are comfortable with everything, then you don't care. But when you DO care, what do you say? Do you get talked into doing things, or allowing others to do things that you aren't happy with? Do you draw the line in the sand and be a bit of a jerk about it? (I've done both, and I've never been entirely unhappy with the latter, but I've berated myself for the former, even though nothing went wrong.)
I'm a bit surprised that you have to ask this question.

I just say "I'm not comfortable with X, can we do Y instead?" Don't talk about what you don't like or don't want that's for all practical purposes pointless. Talk about what you want in specifics. Not so deep, not so far back, no more than X mins deco, only 3 Ts, whatever you are ok with.

If its broken gear they are comfortable diving with and you aren't just say, "hold on I'll get something to fix that." Which of course is predicated on you carrying enough of everything to fix any conceivable problem.

Make this hypothetical buddy being the one insisting on doing a dive you have said you aren't comfortable with or with gear you've offered to fix. Lastly, remember that anyone can thumb a dive at any time with no repercussions. If there are repercussions, then you know who you are fundementally incompatible with and can avoid diving with them in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom