Dealing with long hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive my ignorance. What's a do-rag and how does it look like?

Teecup, here's a website so you can see what they look like: Home | ScubaDoRag

Personally, I use a beanie that I bought at the local Harley shop - there are no ties, it's just a spandex beanie (skull cap) that keeps my hair from getting tangled in my mask strap with my snorkel.

I use a 4" waterproof headband to keep hair out of my eyes and then pony or braid in back.

Thank you, kimbalabala. I browsed the link and found myself appreciating the look of the "Coco Big-Oh!" The do-rag looks great as well.

I'm absolutely not an expert! But I French braided my hair for my previous dives and had no problems. I LOVE the conditioner idea - definitely will use that on my 'Hermione Granger' hair on our dives this spring. Thanks!!

My buddy french braised her hair but didn't have a neoprene cover on her mask strap. Really snarled things up for her but part of it was also related to her hair type.

My buddy french braised her hair but didn't have a neoprene cover on her mask strap. Really snarled things up for her but part of it was also related to her hair type.

For warm water diving I braid my hair - securing it at my neck first and at the bottom of the braid - then I always use a neoprene cover for my mask strap and a slim non-slip hairband (like this Scunci No Slip Grip Hair Band) to keep the stray hairs out of my mask, this method deals with the longest hairs as well as the shortest - it's always a pain when I forget to bring a hair band! This method got me through a season of diving in asia without inflicting too much damage to my hair (other than the sun bleaching).

For cold water diving I use a dry suit - I also have a large head and a small neck which makes donning the dry suit a lot of fun. I use a swimming cap to put all of my hair away before pulling the suit over my head - I use the swim cap again when I take the suit back off - stops me from catching and breaking the small hairs around my neck. Lubing up the swim cap is pretty embarrassing but makes this whole process even easier! I braid my hair once I've got the suit on and before putting on my hood - keeps it all out of the way.

Be careful if you are slathering on conditioner - make sure you can rinse it out before going in the water as you are just adding chemicals to your chosen dive site.

Braids or a bun at the nape of the neck. Your hair needs to be secured in a way that will not allow it to move too much in the water, that's what tangles it.
I had long hair for years as a DM & instructor and would regularly spend 20 minutes practically in tears at the end of the day in the shower with a comb and bottle of conditioner. Nightmare, it's just how it is.

If you are using spray in conditioner, just make sure you wait until after your last dive of the day, or rinse it off before you get in for another dive. The chemicals in the spray are not good for marine life.

Reactions: jas
I have recently started french braiding my hair. It has worked so much better for me than pony with a braid. I put on lots of mousse and french braid it. You can roll up the tail and put another ponytail holder on it at your neck if you are warm water diving, but drysuit diving is better to get neck seal on with the braid fully extend so you can pull the hair out from under the seal instead of trying to work the seal around the little bunch at the neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom