Death and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colin - my sincere condolences.

Most of my diving is tech (overhead and decompression). In general - I don't trust anybody. When getting fills - if possible - I take in the appearance of the shop (is it neat, organized, does the compressor look well maintained, do they have analysis certificates available for inspection.) I'm concerned not just about CO - but any sort of hydrocarbon contamination of my O2 clean cylinders. And even if everything looks great - I still always analyze my breathing gas - for O2 and CO. Every time.

SCUBA is a self-regulated industry. Unlike aviation - which is highly regulated and operates under the supervision of the FAA and in the case of accidents / incidents the NTSB - SCUBA relies on agencies that have the general purpose of promoting the sport. Promoting the sport implies attention to safety (dead divers hurt business) but it is also involved with making a profit. I don't believe that PADI - or any other For Profit diving organization can be expected to guard the public trust to the same degree as we might see in more regulated areas - because they have multiple - and sometimes conflicting goals. Comparing my experiences as a pilot with my experiences as a diver - there is no question that one finds a great deal more variance in the quality of programs, instructors, facilites and equipment in diving. I'm not arguing for goverment regulation of scuba - but the variance of quality is a fact.

Regarding the Resort. Again - they are generally interested in a safe environment - but as a corporation - their primary goal is to make money for their shareholders. In the best case - in the opinion of their attorneys - they have performed their duty to provide a safe enough environment to limit their liabilty in the event of a lawsuit. (Not that that makes you safe - it just makes them safe.) In the worst case - they are negligent - and you end up chasing them through the courts to get a judgement.

Long story short - as a diver - you are engaging in a sport that could have potentially fatal consequences. You have a personal responsibility to ensure your own safety. And if you trust others to do so - you are doing this at your own peril.

Please don't take this as a judgement of your spouse. If she was a recreational diver - she probably recieved little or no training about the potential risks of CO contamination or how to analyze. Once again - I'm very sorry for you loss.

Bjorn Loftis

Colin sorry for your loss.

An air quality test does not really mean anything except at that moment of time. The only sure test is checking the filled tank prior to use but because CO poisoning is a rare occurrence most of us don't. I have been diving over forty years and have never had an issue but that does not mean it can't happen tomorrow. It would be nice if dive boats provided a CO Tester just like many provide a Nitrox tester. One of the things I loved about the Truk Odyssea was the wall mounted bank CO monitor on the dive deck.

I agree with this, and we all no that no one trains beginner divers to this degree, so wouldn't it just make sense to train people? it would cut out the illegitimate businesses and fly by night companies trying to cur corners if we the people we educated in the first place. I respect your reply thank you.

Colin

colincross

I have no intention to nit pick anyones comments, but her is my nickles worth. I am in total agreement with your caution. The padi or any other flag means nothing to me. There is no way padi headquarters can verify tht shop is a good shop. Fill in a form and buy a star. Your concern for co in the air, is not the only concerns that should be had. There are shops located near industries where all sorts of _______len's are in the air and when the wind is blowing right they end up in the intake of compressors. I cant tell you how many shops do not have filtering for co because "OUR COMPRESSORS ARE ELECTRIC DRIVEN" although they are located next to a multi lane streets where main traffic exists. Filters are cheaper when you dont provide for co. business is business and these things happen. Unfortunately they can and should be prevented. You have made a wise decision to test for co in your tanks and i have no doubt that you will continue. I have often wondered what is in my tanks that i can not test for or taste.

Regards and condolences

Colin,

I am very sorry about your loss.

Here is the original source document from which that forum post was taken.
CO Poisoning Risk Higher Than You Think: Undercurrent 07/2012

Unfortunately I don't think the hotel would have the knowledge initially on how to evaluate a dive op for safe compressor operation. That being said after the death of your spouse they should likely undertake sufficient due diligence in order to evaluate what compressor safety measures are in place in order to prevent a similar incident from happening again.

There were several divers injured from CO on Cozumel a few years back and I was surprised that the involved dive op was asked to leave the hotel premises within a week or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom