Question December Port Closures & Dive Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't done a full-on forum search on other ops that may be geared toward what I'm looking for, so if anyone has any recommendations based on the above, feel free to suggest it. Otherwise, I will continue my research. I would like to do a cenote dive excursion and a bull shark dive excursion to PDC, which Aldora doesn't offer.

Part of the reason is that I am trying to book three morning activities other than diving. Josefina's cooking class, San Gervasio, and a Temazcal. Some of them are only available on specific days, require advanced booking, and would require me to miss morning diving and do afternoon diving in order to still get dives on that day.
Truth is it is a crapshoot, but for past reference: I believe we got blown out 2 days during the week of Christmas in 2019. And we lost 1 day of diving during a long weekend (Thursday through Monday) on the U.S. MLK holiday weekend this past January. Both times our main dive op was Tres Pelicanos (not that it matters for this purpose -- the port was closed for all recreational craft).

In 2019 we knew it was a possibility, and I found that Jungle Divers in Cozumel does cenote dives on the mainland also. We ended up having a good trip to Dos Ojos with them, and then doing a really good guided shore night dive with them at Tikila in Cozumel later that week.

Since you mentioned trying to schedule morning activities including San Gervasio I'll mention that you can usually just go there yourself (rental car or taxi) morning or afternoon and hire a guide there -- or even do a self-guided tour without missing much really. Bring bug spray, sunscreen, and water. I also prefer closed-toe shoes for the somewhat rough and uneven walking paths.

Also, they have 6 (7?) boats. They group you with similar diver skills, air consumption, and Nitrox use or not. They use the 411 you provide in reservations sheet to help schedule your boat, but they don't take your word when scheduling adventure dive, they need to eval your skill. We only put a min deposit (100 for 2 people) for a week of diving. They offer 10% cash discount that we take advantage. If you don't do nitrox, you are on an air only boat and that usually has less serious divers. They eval 1st day diving your skills (or lack) may determine what boats you are on the rest of week. It is not uncommon to move between groups especially if you are going to do specialty dives.

That is a very false statement.

Nortes are a hit or misss thing - we all hate them but we can't control or predict them more than a handfull of days out so we just live with them. Most times they are short lived but they can be days long.... The odds of Nortes are greatest in December thru February - there used to be a sticky post where Christi tracked them over the years,

Some extended distance dive sites are very much effected by weather and wind direction and really hard to spot on say this day or that day more than 5 days out - it doesn't take a norte to say we ain't going to Maricaibo today.... I know more than a few people that have made the trip to dive the Oriskany only to have the trip cancelled due to weather.

Many ops do or allow lionfish hunting, I would hope that most vet the divers before allowing it in the park but there are many great dive sites outside the park also - as said, the lionfish population has thinned a little in recreational depths...

Advanced dive sites here are about a few things - listen and follow directions, good dive skills and good air consumption. Someone should be vetting you a bit at first before letting it hang out at Baracudda - don't take offense to it - everyone wants a great dive and safety.

Come have fun, you can't change the weather, bring some patience with you!!!!!!
Chuck, I was referring to Aldora Adventuredive sites like sleeping shark cave. These are North, way way North (past lighthouse).

Aldora adventure is a 3 tank dive that goes North of the Island, Way North. No other dive boats go to these sites. Not on any map.
This is not accurate. There are a limited number of Dive Ops that head north or to the east side but certainly Aldora is not the only one. We dove the Sleeping Shark cave in March and Oct, attempted a third time but conditions made us cancel the dive. Dove several other sites northeast of the northern lagoons. Have also done a 3-tank trip around the north side to the east past Punta Molas lighthouse. One reef was named Hanan and a couple other unnamed reefs.

Logistics make these trips a challenge for dive ops. Weather and currents are more unpredictable, it is a long boat trip so costs are higher, divers must be vetted for abilities, if 'stuff' happens you are all alone, chances of getting help from another boat are next to none (well maybe the Navy looking for drug runners!). These trips could make for a long day of cancelled dives. If you are prone to motion sickness it could be a rough trip.

Aldora has more boats and markets the "adventure" trips more than other shops. The Dive Ops I know that do "adventure" trips are very selective on who and when they do adventure trips.

Ok, I never heard of these other dive ops or seen anyone talk about the dive ops that do those sites. Thanks.
Point being, they are weather permitting and require good winds.

I've also heard that Pepe Scuba (at Coral Princess) will also dive some northern sites with experienced divers if weather permits.

I've also heard that Pepe Scuba (at Coral Princess) will also dive some northern sites with experienced divers if weather permits.
Many Ops dive the northern sites close to the northern resorts. Very few dive north of the island.

Ok, I never heard of these other dive ops or seen anyone talk about the dive ops that do those sites. Thanks.
Point being, they are weather permitting and require good winds.
Good winds and it sounds like proven skill set. That may add a dive day for them to observe your skills to determine if you’ve got the chops!

Jungle Divers, in addition to doing cenotes, also will take you on the bull shark dive (both on the mainland - requiring a ferry ride to/from - but they do it regularly).

Rethink the San Gervaiso outing interfering with a dive morning. Do it in an afternoon, hire a guide right there as Gobroek mentioned. It is a nice outing but not that impressive.

Or wait for a Norte when you can't dive and go there that day.

The bull shark dives off PDC and the far north sites have been done by some of the old school ops for some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom