Deciding between Oceanic Geo 2.0 and Suunto D4i Novo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing related to warranty, since I don't live in the US, does anyone know whether it will be a PITA to claim warranty in case of manufacturer defect or something? I was told I'd need to send it back to the US since no LDS will want to repair unless it was bought from them. It's another concern for me. And at the moment, I was told there is no stock in Malaysia, the nearest one I can get it from will be Singapore - unless I go ahead and order online.

With a long established model like geo 2, most kinks should have been ironed out by now and the chances of you needing the warranty are very slim. Not zero: s*it happens, but near enough. Anyway, it's not like your local shop can repair it on-site, they send it to the manufacturer anyway. Are they saying they'll give you a brand new replacement right away without waiting for the manufacturer, throughout the entire warranty period? -- That's nice level of service, if that's what they do then I can sort of see why they'd want the dust from last year's mergers and acquisitions to settle first before they make any new commitments like that.

LeisurePro is known to offer discounts to people who call them on the phone, chat, and/or put a "price watch" flag on things. I.e. the discount is not in on-line catalog, but if you ask, you shall receive.

I don't know how it is anywhere else, but here in the U.S. a lot of credit card companies have a benefit for their card users that extends the original warranty of any item you buy on the card by 1 year. So, buy a new computer with a 1 year warranty using that credit card and you get a 2 year warranty. And the way it works (generally) is that if something happens to the item and you can't get it fixed or it's out of the original warranty period, the credit card company will actually refund you your entire purchase price.

If you have that as a purchasing option, that might alleviate your concerns about buying an Oceanic.

Also, SquareTrade sells aftermarket warranties. That might be another option to look into.

Lastly, if you join DAN, you can get insurance through them on your scuba gear. That insurance might also cover your computer in case it dies and you can't get it warrantied. Just another option to check into.

Mulder_Scully,
Whatever model you end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

If you end up with the Geo 2, Oceanic will give you an activation code for a free Geo 2 online class if you register your dive computer with them.

If you buy the D4i instead, just ask the dive store to give you an activation code for the D4i online class. I do not know about your dive store, but LP will give you the code for free.

What double secret discount? :eek: Does it apply only within US or internationally as well?

I live in US so can only speak to that piece. Every time I've called them to order, they've offered pretty significant savings over the published web price. I've also never had to ask for a discount - they've always just offered it. It never hurts to call them and see what they offer.

I bought a Geo 2 one year ago. I found it easy to use, comfortable to wear, and reliable. The download cable was very expensive, but worked flawlessly with my PC.

I used it as a wrist watch only while on dive vacation. For my eyes, the size is just barely big enough to be a good dive computer, and just barely small enough to be a wristwatch. If you don't need reading glasses it will be fine. Those with mild to presbyopia are probably OK (I need a +1.25). Anything more than that, and it might be too hard to read. There are multiple solutions to that problem, but those are beyond the scope of this thread.

I've never had a dive computer who's buttons and menus were not slightly confusing, so the Geo 2 seemed on-par with others. I always get (or make) a laminated cheat-sheet to keep in my dive bag, minimizing the chance of mistakes.

If you don't need reading glasses it will be fine. Those with mild to presbyopia are probably OK (I need a +1.25). Anything more than that, and it might be too hard to read.

I have an Atom 3.0, which I think(?) is basically the same computer just with the AI feature added.

I typically wear +1.75 reading glasses.

I can read the big numbers on the Atom, just not the labels for those numbers, which are much smaller. That hasn't been a problem for me because I know what the numbers are that I'm looking at, so don't need the labels.

However, I subsequently put stick-on reader lenses ($15 from Walmart) in my mask and can read everything on the computer, no problem. There are other reasons to have reader lenses than just reading your computer, so I think it's a good idea for anyone that uses reading glasses - even if you have a Petrel or some other computer that you can easily read. Reading an SPG. Reading the display on a GoPro. Reading your buddy's SPG or computer. Etc...

With a long established model like geo 2, most kinks should have been ironed out by now and the chances of you needing the warranty are very slim. Not zero: s*it happens, but near enough. Anyway, it's not like your local shop can repair it on-site, they send it to the manufacturer anyway. Are they saying they'll give you a brand new replacement right away without waiting for the manufacturer, throughout the entire warranty period? -- That's nice level of service, if that's what they do then I can sort of see why they'd want the dust from last year's mergers and acquisitions to settle first before they make any new commitments like that.

LeisurePro is known to offer discounts to people who call them on the phone, chat, and/or put a "price watch" flag on things. I.e. the discount is not in on-line catalog, but if you ask, you shall receive.

I've had a chat with them but unfortunately they don't ship to Malaysia. The nearest would be to Singapore (if I want to have it before my next dive trip), but when my cousin who's in SG checked on the web, it showed that they wouldn't ship to SG due to some distributor restriction. :(

I don't know how it is anywhere else, but here in the U.S. a lot of credit card companies have a benefit for their card users that extends the original warranty of any item you buy on the card by 1 year. So, buy a new computer with a 1 year warranty using that credit card and you get a 2 year warranty. And the way it works (generally) is that if something happens to the item and you can't get it fixed or it's out of the original warranty period, the credit card company will actually refund you your entire purchase price.

If you have that as a purchasing option, that might alleviate your concerns about buying an Oceanic.

Also, SquareTrade sells aftermarket warranties. That might be another option to look into.

Lastly, if you join DAN, you can get insurance through them on your scuba gear. That insurance might also cover your computer in case it dies and you can't get it warrantied. Just another option to check into.

The CC I have do not have these options for overseas purchases AFAIK. I've checked DAN but there were only US and Canada for the country options.

Mulder_Scully,
Whatever model you end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

If you end up with the Geo 2, Oceanic will give you an activation code for a free Geo 2 online class if you register your dive computer with them.

If you buy the D4i instead, just ask the dive store to give you an activation code for the D4i online class. I do not know about your dive store, but LP will give you the code for free.

Yeah, I see LP will give the code. I think I will most likely end up with Geo 2.0 not D4i. Like, 99%. :D

I live in US so can only speak to that piece. Every time I've called them to order, they've offered pretty significant savings over the published web price. I've also never had to ask for a discount - they've always just offered it. It never hurts to call them and see what they offer.

I guess I can still call and check. Who knows they might offer shipping to Malaysia... haha. Or as a last resort I could get it shipped to my cousin in Philly and get her to forward it to me. I'm quite desperate haha.

I bought a Geo 2 one year ago. I found it easy to use, comfortable to wear, and reliable. The download cable was very expensive, but worked flawlessly with my PC.

I used it as a wrist watch only while on dive vacation. For my eyes, the size is just barely big enough to be a good dive computer, and just barely small enough to be a wristwatch. If you don't need reading glasses it will be fine. Those with mild to presbyopia are probably OK (I need a +1.25). Anything more than that, and it might be too hard to read. There are multiple solutions to that problem, but those are beyond the scope of this thread.

I've never had a dive computer who's buttons and menus were not slightly confusing, so the Geo 2 seemed on-par with others. I always get (or make) a laminated cheat-sheet to keep in my dive bag, minimizing the chance of mistakes.

Yeah I kind of wish they included the cable instead of selling it separately. From what I have read, Geo 2.0 seems to be not as intuitive when compared to others such as Suunto or Mares and the manual is useless. What cheat-sheet? Something like which button does which function?

I have an Atom 3.0, which I think(?) is basically the same computer just with the AI feature added.

AFAIK it is so. I like the looks of Atom but figured I don't need AI any time soon anyway (if ever...), so Geo would be better and kinder to my wallet :D

I guess I can still call and check. Who knows they might offer shipping to Malaysia... haha. Or as a last resort I could get it shipped to my cousin in Philly and get her to forward it to me.

One issue with SB is that it's very US-centric and much of advise here is based on US pricing and availability. Are there like dive clubs or other dive shops where you are?

FWIW I've sent and brought stuff to friends and family overseas plenty of times. Some things you just can't get elsewhere.

What cheat-sheet? Something like which button does which function?

My Aladdin Prime came with a laminated card with the menus and buttons for quick reference.

I don't think my Geo2 came with one, but I did made some. attached is a PDF with my home-made version. It is trimmed down and customized, and does not necessarily reflect every permutation. Sometimes I use it to lookup a specific menu item, other times I use it to refresh my memory after an absence from diving.

Attachments

• Visio-GEO2.pdf
    102.8 KB · Views: 97

Back
Top Bottom