Deciding on a Diving Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADStonina

New
Reaction score
Dear Board,

This is ADStonina. I live in Chicago. I think that I am about to go, for my ceritification. I have decided on two programs, but I can not decide which one. I was wondering if some of you who know the Chicago area stores could help out.

The first one is from Underwater Safaris and the other is from Elmer's Watersports. They both have very good programs and a great staff, but I can not decide which one.

Thank you, for your input.

I am sorry that I can't answer your question, but maybe one of the members of the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew subforum could. Farther down on this page is the Forum Jump menu. Click on the down arrow, then scroll down till you find that subforum & select it. Best of luck with your classes.

ADStonina, i've moved your question to this forum (the one Scubafool mentioned)
to see if the locals can help

best of luck

ADStonina:
Dear Board,

This is ADStonina. I live in Chicago. I think that I am about to go, for my ceritification. I have decided on two programs, but I can not decide which one. I was wondering if some of you who know the Chicago area stores could help out.

The first one is from Underwater Safaris and the other is from Elmer's Watersports. They both have very good programs and a great staff, but I can not decide which one.

Thank you, for your input.

UWSafaris usually has a class at the quarry most summer weekends. So - that leads me to believe they are training alot of divers. A few folks I used to work with dive out of that shop.

I don't know much about Elmers - except by reputation - a few people I've talked to go to that shop and are pleased w/ the service.

I think you'll be happy with either. Find the one that you feel the most comfortable with and has a schedule that fits up nicely with yours for the classes.

Things I'd look for:
Onsite Pool vs and area hotel pool.
Total cost for your checkout dives: instruction & gear rental.

I did my training at Elmer's Watersports. Many shops usually have 3 week OW classes which means 2 class seesions and one pool session during the week... Elmer's had a seven week class available. The class session followed by the pool session (they use the Northwestern pool 15' deep most dive shop only have 11'). This allows for a better fit to your schedule and more time in the pool (which will help with comfort level in Open Water). Plus the staff is really friendly. http://www.elmerswatersports.com let us know what you decide.
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom