Deciding on dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan K

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to Scubaboard and am looking for advice on my first dive computer.

I'm looking for a wrist computer, that doubles as a watch, air integrated, and anywhere around $1000.

I've looked at the Oceanic 3.1 but heard the user manual is terrible and is not intuitive at all.

I've looked at the Oceanic OCi and see mostly good results but have seem some bad ones. This is the one I'm leaning towards but a few negative reviews make me hesitant.

Recently started looking at the Suunto D4i and Hel02. Both seem to have mostly good reviews except apparently their dive profiles are too conservative.

Thanks for your help!

CuzzA has a good point. You can get a whole lot of computer in that price range. You can get a whole lot of computer for less than that. If you are going to spend that much money, do it wisely. You don't want to buy a computer like that and then decide a few months later that it is not the one you want.

Tell us more about your experience and plans for the future. It will help us give better advice.

Here is an assortment of potential computers--quite a list! If you call the number in my signature line, you can get very detailed advice about them, but as I said before, make sure you really understand what your needs are before making a blind choice.
Dive Computers - Dive Right in Scuba

I think it's important to know where you think your diving will progress in the near future. Do you have plans to enter technical diving or are you sticking to typical rec profiles?
For the foreseeable future, I plan on just rec diving. I am still new to diving (less than 25 times, highest cert: PADI AOW) but plan to dive a lot more in the next few years. Since I live in Arizona, there is little diving here except for a few lakes but am planning multiple trips to San Diego and Caribbean.

I'm not entirely opposed to other wrist-mounted computer either. I've just mainly looked at the ones that double as a watch.

My primary computer at the moment is an OC-1 (like the OCi) and I like it a lot. I think the biggest criticism would be the size, but I like it for the very reason you state. I don't take a watch with me and I can see it just fine while diving. Things I don't love: you can't access any of your gas consumption info from the built in dive log -- you must download it to see (not sure of OCi, VT4 is not this way); the audible alarm is so quiet as to be almost useless (there is a red light on the side that goes off, but that too, is not terribly noticeable); the DiverLog software is fine, not great -- support is bad. Supposedly, the battery is not user-serviceable, but I have not let that stop me. Having used Suunto, Mares and Oceanic, I can tell you that the Oceanic menu structure is the least intuitive, but you will have to adapt to whatever you get anyway. Overall, it remains a good choice for me.

So, there's a couple ways to approach this. If you won't be diving often you could save some money and get one of the more basic wireless air integrated computers for a few hundred dollars. Or if that $1000 is burning a hole in your pocket you could look at a more expensive WAI color LCD/OLED screen. I bought a Mares Icon HD for $700 including the transmitter. I really really like the color screen and am happy with this computer. It's very intuitive and has some extra features that I find value in. I found after renting some basic models I didn't care for the monochrome screens on a lot of computers.

That said, I know I will eventually move away from using this computer when I enter technical diving. Fortunately, I have family members to pass this computer on to so I don't have any regrets with my decision.

Nevertheless, take a look at what your local dive shop has to offer. I feel like it's always a good idea to give your LDS the first crack at your business. They need it. If not them, then check out places online like Dive Right in Scuba (posted above) because they are sponsors here on ScubaBoard and as you will likely find, supporting the sponsors allows us to have a great site like ScubaBoard.

So, there's a couple ways to approach this. If you won't be diving often you could save some money and get one of the more basic wireless air integrated computers for a few hundred dollars. Or if that $1000 is burning a hole in your pocket you could look at a more expensive WAI color LCD/OLED screen. I bought a Mares Icon HD for $700 including the transmitter. I really really like the color screen and am happy with this computer. It's very intuitive and has some extra features that I find value in. I found after renting some basic models I didn't care for the monochrome screens on a lot of computers.

That said, I know I will eventually move away from using this computer when I enter technical diving. Fortunately, I have family members to pass this computer on to so I don't have any regrets with my decision.

Nevertheless, take a look at what your local dive shop has to offer. I feel like it's always a good idea to give your LDS the first crack at your business. They need it. If not them, then check out places online like Dive Right in Scuba (posted above) because they are sponsors here on ScubaBoard and as you will likely find, supporting the sponsors allows us to have a great site like ScubaBoard.
Cool, thanks for the advise!

Recently started looking at the Suunto D4i and Hel02. Both seem to have mostly good reviews except apparently their dive profiles are too conservative.

decompression-algorithm-rgbm.jpg

Seriously though... the Suunto recreational RGBM isn't particularly conservative; it just contains certain parameters that increase conservatism if 'less than optimal' diving practices occur. These include; fast ascents, missed safety stops and short surface intervals. It also errs on the side of safety (conservatism) over multi-day repetitive dive schedules.

You can avoid most of that by diving prudently - ascend slowly from every dive, do your safety stops and allow sufficient surface intervals (1hr+). Also take regular (4:1) non-diving days to allow your slower tissues to off-gas.

I don't disagree with an algorithm that applies conservatism over intensive multi-day profiles either. If the computer wasn't adding conservatism, then the diver should be doing it via manual settings. It just does the job for you.... and/or makes decisions on your behalf that protect you from the temptations of over-zealous dive enthusiasm.

The point of a computer, and its algorithm, is to insulate you from the risk of DCS. Suunto does a very good job at that. Safety first. It might cramp your style to have dives shortened when you'd actually rather go balls to the wall and maximize your underwater time on vacation...Unfortunately, DCS is a real risk, that really hurts real people every year... and precautions against it are not something to consider a 'nuisance'. :)

btw,,, Hel02 isn't a watch sized computer....it's full sized. It also runs Suunto's 'tec' RGBM algorithm and offers functions like gas changes, that you'll never utilize. A Vyper does everything you'd need, at the same size as the Hel02, but less cost.

$1000 is a lot of money to spend on a dive computer; especially if you don't need technical diving capability. Most watch-sized models are at a mid-range price point.

If you wanted something that's also stylish to wear as a watch, then I'd suggest the Suunto D6i All Black Steel, Suunto Dx Titanium, Scubapro Mantis M1 Tech or Scubapro Mantis. (see list of watch-sized computer examples HERE). Of course, perceptions of stylish vary... but I'm assuming the cheap plastic look isn't that classy. :wink:

The expensive recreational computers at high price points are larger models with fancy screen technology (color LCD/OLED as CuzzA mentioned). The Mares Icon HD and Suunto Eon Steel are examples of that. If Wireless Air Integration wasn't a necessity, you could get a new Shearwater Perdix for substantially less money...and it is one hell of a great computer. Also look at the Liquivision range.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom