Deco for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Motojack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am getting ready to re read Mark Powells Deco for Divers circa 2009.The only reference I can find to an updated version is 2016. Has deco theory and practice changed enough since then to render the book out of date? If so any recommendations on other similar books. Thanks!

I'm guessing that the latest update incorporates the NEDU 2011 study.

I really should own a copy -- might hit up Amazon tonight.

No, it is not up to date.

The original book and its update were both very much in favor of deep stops during a decompression dive ascent. The technical diving community as a whole has moved away from that.

Here is an article I wrote a few years ago on the topic, and I note in it that Powell had changed his thinking. You can read Powell's change in thinking from about 6 years ago here.

Here is part of his conclusion:
OVERALL WE CAN DRAW a number of conclusions from recent studies and discussions. The first is that “deep stops” is a misleading term that doesn’t always help the discussion.​
Perhaps it’s time to move away from using this term in favour of being more specific as to exactly what sort of stops we’re talking about.​
The next conclusion is that it is definitely possible to stop too deep, as shown by some of the examples above. Some of the advice given over the past few years has clearly been introducing stops that are too deep.​
What he says there is pretty much what most researchers think today. The stops recommended by the pure Buhlmann algorithm are probably not deep enough, but the deep stops recommended by VPM, RGBM, and others (including Powell's book) 15 years ago are too deep.

Just got my copy last night: Deco for Divers, Second Edition.

Love that Amazon, shipped me a book from the UK to PA in under a week for $40 shipped.

Can't wait to dig in.

No, it is not up to date.

The original book and its update were both very much in favor of deep stops during a decompression dive ascent. The technical diving community as a whole has moved away from that.

Here is an article I wrote a few years ago on the topic, and I note in it that Powell had changed his thinking. You can read Powell's change in thinking from about 6 years ago here.

Here is part of his conclusion:
OVERALL WE CAN DRAW a number of conclusions from recent studies and discussions. The first is that “deep stops” is a misleading term that doesn’t always help the discussion.​
Perhaps it’s time to move away from using this term in favour of being more specific as to exactly what sort of stops we’re talking about.​
The next conclusion is that it is definitely possible to stop too deep, as shown by some of the examples above. Some of the advice given over the past few years has clearly been introducing stops that are too deep.​
What he says there is pretty much what most researchers think today. The stops recommended by the pure Buhlmann algorithm are probably not deep enough, but the deep stops recommended by VPM, RGBM, and others (including Powell's book) 15 years ago are too deep.

Just got my copy last night: Deco for Divers, Second Edition.

Love that Amazon, shipped me a book from the UK to PA in under a week for $40 shipped.

Can't wait to dig in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom