Decompression Information and Software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking for suggestions on reading materials for decompression theory and planning and recommedations as to decompression software. I don't plan to do deco diving without proper training, but I would like to begin educating myself before I take a course.

Thanks

US NAVY DIVING MANUAL. Plenty of theroy and info.

Start with "Deco for Divers" -- by Mark Powell

(hmmm, wonder how many other people will write the same thing?)

Two books I'd recommend are Mark Powell's Deco for Divers and Lippmann & Mitchell's Deeper into Diving. The former is probably the most accessible and palatable discussion of decompression theory that you can find, and the latter has some very interesting comparisons of various tables.

There are several papers by Erik Baker that are widely available on line -- "Understanding M-values" is the one most people cite. Ross Hemingway has a piece called "Decompression Myths" on his HHS website. The Proceedings from the DAN Symposium on Technical Diving are available on the DAN website, and there's some very interesting reading there, especially about the evidence for and against deep stops.

That ought to get you started!

Thanks everyone for the info! I downloaded the U.S. Navy Manual and ordered Powell's book. That should certainly get me started.

DevonDiver, your resource page is excellent!!

My goal this winter is to take a advanced nitrox/deco procedures class combined with recreational trimix.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom