Decompression Tables for Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use the navy dive tables and just use your EAD for determining deco times and depth. DGE also sells tables for some of the more common mixes that have deco for either nitrox or 50% and 100% as the deco gas. Use at your own risk. If you didn't get introduced to this in your nitrox class you can get in over your head real quick. And may not get your head above water again...

Wow Dr. Lecter. 1.8 PPO2. if you don't bend him you'll give him an O2 hit.

Last edited:
The highest ppo2 in dr lecters plan is 1.12, so I'm not sure what you are seeing.

The highest ppo2 in dr lecters plan is 1.12, so I'm not sure what you are seeing.
I think he misunderstood and assumed the entire dive was on 36% (120 ft), not just the stops starting at 70 ft.
An excellent example for the OP of how a slight misunderstanding can seriously ruin your day...and your life.

That is still a lot of tanks but a huge difference, I was more thinking in 60min bottom times at 80ft, still that seems to be doubles plus the stand by tank waiting at 10ft. considering all the same mix, interesting, thanks

I have the V planner as well but I don't trusted and by all honesty I don't understand it, need more class room time for that

I think he misunderstood and assumed the entire dive was on 36% (120 ft), not just the stops starting at 70 ft.
An excellent example for the OP of how a slight misunderstanding can seriously ruin your day...and your life.

I cannot emphasize this enough.

As others have pointed out above, if you take a breath of a rich mix below a safe depth, you may have only seconds of useful consciousness remaining.

The A&I forum is full of stories of good dives that turned tragic when someone made a mistake about a gas switch. Please be extra careful when planning the gas for your dives.

I cannot emphasize this enough.

As others have pointed out above, if you take a breath of a rich mix below a safe depth, you may have only seconds of useful consciousness remaining.

Ok, let's keep the fearmongering to a minimum. Yes, switching to a mix below its MOD can and often has killed divers; no, you should not be treating your stop depths as 'guidelines' below which you can fudge; absolutely CNS hits can come on from unpredictably short exposures and without warning.

But a few breaths at 1.7, 1.8, or even a 2 or 3 pO2 is very likely not going to cause you to melt like a nazi opening the ark of the covenant. Have a look at the NOAA contingency tables. There are emergency circumstances under which a diver may have the choice between drowning or briefly exceeding a safe pO2: drowning is never the right option, even if more padding in gas plans is the best solution for future dives. That being said, CNS is a tricky bitch...there's no way to say with 100% confidence that a single breath at 1.65 won't kill you (or, for that matter, a single breath at 1.4).

There are equivalent air depths (EAD) tables for this. Pick the EAD for the mix your using and plan using the navy deco tables.

IANTD used to have them but not sure if it is still in production, individual table from 24% to 36% in 2% increment with/out 50% O2 as deco gas.

That is still a lot of tanks but a huge difference, I was more thinking in 60min bottom times at 80ft, still that seems to be doubles plus the stand by tank waiting at 10ft. considering all the same mix, interesting, thanks

I have the V planner as well but I don't trusted and by all honesty I don't understand it, need more class room time for that

Just to do the dive would require over 120 cuft, not including rock bottom/thirds. So, yes, large doubles and a deco bottle.

This is heading in the direction of "techreational", which seems to be no deeper than 130' but bottom times longer than NDLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to do the dive would require over 120 cuft, not including rock bottom/thirds. So, yes, large doubles and a deco bottle.

This is heading in the direction of "techreational", which seems to be no deeper than 130' but bottom times longer than NDLs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes basically that is what I was curious about.

In the AOW they as well tell you the limitations on depth with nitrox, and I have read some more as well, so I'm not 100% new to it, but granted I will take the Nitrox course and annoy the hell out of the instructor with questions as usual.

Don't remember which organization offers Tech Nitrox but it was only one I saw that did from all the ones I was researching, I guess it will extend nitrox with deco

Back
Top Bottom