Deep Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
It's not like those were OW dives however :wink:

Or were those two other dives I hadn't heard about?

No, those are what your thinking.

Based on the Knowledge reviews and check out dives, there really isn't that much covered by the course.

I agree, and this is the sad part. When I took my Deep speciality, I had already taken the Gas Management seminar from NW Grateful Diver. The instructor of the deep class was taken aback when he was doing the "planning" part of our dives, and after he ascertained that I knew what the NDL for 120 feet was, I then offered what the "rock bottom" gas requirement for the dive was. This is NOT part of the teaching for this class, and that still bothers me. It doesn't take any particular diving skill to go deeper -- what's required to dive deep is an understanding of what being down there does to your gas utilization, and to how you cope with problems.

Except for the experience of breathing off a hang tank, I really didn't think I got much out of the deep specialty.

Still, not wanting to rain on the OPs parade, congratulations on a fun weekend diving. Hopefully some of these posts will get you to go look up threads on gas management and rock bottom and add to your database.

colby:
We ascended slowly, and when we got to the safety stop I had between 6-700psi in the tank. Rather than risk getting the tank too low, and forcing the rental tank into a VIP or whatever happens, the instructor gave me his octo for the safety stop.
First point, 600-700 psi is more than enough air to do a 5 minute safety stop for most people. That is usually where I start my Safety stops. You can suck a tank to 200PSI without any ill effect on the tank or regulator. In fact you can suck it to 50 PSI without hurting anything its just REALLY bad form.

Sure there are those that will argue with me but I dare anyone to try and get water in a tank with 50 PSI. I want to watch it would be a kodak moment.

I will make this point, never breath a tank below 200 and only while sitting on a safety stop. NOT AT DEPTH! OK I did my legal caveat.

Typically I sit at a safety stop and suck my tank to 200 PSI every dive. If it makes them mad so be it, I paid for the air. I want to use it.

Without knowing what the DM was thinking at the time, I cannot say why he wanted you to breath off his octo that is probably not a great breathing reg.

TSandM:
Still, not wanting to rain on the OPs parade, congratulations on a fun weekend diving. Hopefully some of these posts will get you to go look up threads on gas management and rock bottom and add to your database.

Thanks and it has. It will be a bit of searching and reading to get it all in I think :D

bfisher:
I thought you said you were "deep diving"------------LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Piker.

yeah yeah :lol:

Colby
Good air consumption seems to be a funny thing, one day you have it. Yes we talk about relaxation, buoyancy, trim, etc and all that helps. But I have seen 2 cases where almost overnight my buddy has gone from being an air hog to a cruiser.
Both times it has been on a dive vacation where we were diving 3 or more dives a day.

I think the critical factor may be stillness. Only doing the minimum movements to get from a to b. Not using your hands or fins to control buoyancy, trim, or depth.

Keep diving one day you will be surprised at how little air you are using.
:diver:

Back
Top Bottom