Deep Six Outfitters Eddy Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at these also for a travel alternative to Jets since I guess OMS is gone (?).

So, I wear 11 shoe, use an XL Jet with standard soft booties. What size do I order.

Also, important to me, the Jet XL has a lot longer blade and is a much more powerful fin with better action than the Jet size Large. How does the blade length compare to the Jets?

N

Looking at these also for a travel alternative to Jets since I guess OMS is gone (?).

So, I wear 11 shoe, use an XL Jet with standard soft booties. What size do I order.

Also, important to me, the Jet XL has a lot longer blade and is a much more powerful fin with better action than the Jet size Large. How does the blade length compare to the Jets?

N
I honestly haven't measured exact fin length compared to jets, I do have a pair of XL jets at the office, i will take a pic for ya...

I am a 10.5, wear size 11 wetsuits boots and use the Large with them. In my drysuit with bigger boots I wear the XL

Thanks. I find the blade length of the Jet XL perfect, the Jet Large is inadequate for me, insufficient thrust, blade length too short, even if I could get it on my foot.

N

Thanks. I find the blade length of the Jet XL perfect, the Jet Large is inadequate for me, insufficient thrust, blade length too short, even if I could get it on my foot.

N

The Eddy doesn't kick exactly like the jet because the material is different... I find it a bit stiffer and backing up is awesome.

Gone? I bought a pair of 2XL OMS Slipstream fins this summer; Leisure Pro's got them (I checked to make sure).

Richard.

I understand it is different. I consider, as do many, like them or hate them, the Jet Fin is the standard to which all others must be evaluated, a common ground. So, I am just trying to figure these Eddy Fins out as to where they fall in blade area. Blade area equals thrust, yes, stiffness, length vs. width and all of that and design all count but blade area is what displaces water and moves the diver forward so I am trying to understand how the blade area of these eddy Fins changes with relation to foot pocket size.

Richard, I do not know about the OMS Slipstream, they are back, gone, back, cannot keep up. All I know id I ordered some about a year ago and they never came. The card was never charged, just kept saying on back order. Beats me.

Thus my continuing interest in a thermoplastic or monoprene alternative to the Jet with an emphasis on lightweight for travel.

N

Last edited:
I understand it is different. I consider, as do many, like them or hate them, the Jet Fin is the standard to which all others must be evaluated, a common ground. So, I am just trying to figure these Eddy Fins out as to where they fall in blade area. Blade area equals thrust, yes, stiffness, length vs. width and all of that and design all count but blade area is what displaces water and moves the diver forward so I am trying to understand how the blade area of these eddy Fins changes with relation to foot pocket size.

Richard, I do not know about the OMS Slipstream, they are back, gone, back, cannot keep up. All I know id I ordered some about a year ago and they never came. The card was never charged, just kept saying on back order. Beats me.

Thus my continuing interest in a thermoplastic or monoprene alternative to the Jet with an emphasis on lightweight for travel.

N

Had my photo guy here so asked to get some shots showing the comparison.

This should help you better visualize the differences.

I dove Jets when diving tech for years, great fin. I really think the Eddy is a much more comfortable and better kicking fin. The weight also rocks for trim in sidemount or CCR and of course travel.

All that said, fins are personal and subjective, no single fin will perfectly suit everybody.

Truth is if I was diving from a boat in warm waters you'd be hard pressed to get me to dive anything but the Mares Avanti 4 power full foot fin, which is the new version of the Mares Quattro L full foot fin that I did thousands of dives with as a Cayman instructor. But they are a harder kicking fin than many like, and being longer not my first choice when talking about a fin that is a great anti slitting by design (but not horrific with good technique)

My fondness for that fin is what made me understand (along with my tenure at mares, who really makes great foot pockets for their fins) how important for optimal performance a foot pocket that doesn't allow too much movement inside (wasted energy) and support past the arch of the foot is.

DEEP SIX - Photos | Facebook

Can I get them in black?

Can I get them in black?
no, we coded the website so that only you can't order them in black, anybody else can get in orange or Black... ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom