Deep Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With 20 dives, I'm still a newbie and my comfort range does not extend past 50-60ft. My deepest dive was 73' for a brief time with a DM in the water with us while on vacation. I felt comfortable in that situation. With each dive, my comfort, skill level, and trust in my equipment increases and my willingness to dive deeper is proportionate to that comfort level. I would also need a compelling reason to make deeper dives such as something unique to see that I couldn't see at a shallower depth.

My bath tub has a shallow end and a deep end. :eyebrow:

according to the place and time. For example if I'm diving in a place has strong current like 6 to 9 knots, below 25 meters I consider this deep, in night dive after 18 meters I consider it deep, In normal conditions (no current, perfect vis (25+m),no waves) below 55 meters I consider deep. I am talking about recreational scuba diving (diving on air).

You can drown in a couple of inches of water :11:
Depth has no relavance :wink:

Anything below about 80', to me, since that's often where it starts to really get dark. Sometimes that's closer to the 60' mark, but I've freedived to 60' so to me now it doesn't seem as 'deep'.

FreeFloat:
Anything below about 80', to me, since that's often where it starts to really get dark. Sometimes that's closer to the 60' mark, but I've freedived to 60' so to me now it doesn't seem as 'deep'.

Freefloat:

Please forgive my "dumb" question... but what exactly does "freedive" mean ?

I thought it meant "a dive with a single breath hold, as in "no tanks"

I've seen many divers mention "free dive" and I'm not sure what they mean.

BTW My deepest has been 70' and I am looking forward to the 100' depth as my experience gets better.

wildmtn:
Past 60 ft is deep for me, well, I never get to past 60 ft because I only have 7 mm wetsuit, that is not warm enough for Canandaigue Lake. Once you past 30 ft, you will feel big difference (thermoline)! Like 10 or 15 degree dropped. Way too cold for me so I have to go back up. Next summer, I will buy a drysuit and get AOW certification - so I will be comfortable going deeper. :icosm09:

You just need to come to South Florida. The water's warm and clear, whether you're at 15 ft or at 90.

BTW, I consider deep 60 ft and up. Any deeper than I can swim up with a breath of air is pretty deep to me.

If I have to put gear on to stay under it's deep. If I can go to the bottom and come back with one breath, it's not too deep. However, I did feel the difference from 25' to 60', not only the Thermocline, but just a sense of looking up and not quite making out the surface.

alphillyswim:
but just a sense of looking up and not quite making out the surface.

Get that problem here if its deeper than say 10ft :)

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Freefloat:

Please forgive my "dumb" question... but what exactly does "freedive" mean ?

I thought it meant "a dive with a single breath hold, as in "no tanks"

I've seen many divers mention "free dive" and I'm not sure what they mean.

BTW My deepest has been 70' and I am looking forward to the 100' depth as my experience gets better.
You've got it. Freediving, also known as Breath hold diving, skin diving or some people still call it "snorkelling" (to me a snorkeller rarely leaves the surface)

I just define it as "tankless diving" and leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom