Deep6 Excursion vs Genesis Centauri- which would you get now and why…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure about that?

As for the original question, I'd go with the excursion vs a crest or genesis. The cost difference is trivial and you get a PDC that will work for you from OW to trimix. That's hard to beat.

I use them with OW students and they don't seem to have any issues figuring things out as far as programming goes.
Also to one of the OP's questions between the devices - And from a company that is active on these boards, is responsive, and actively updates the firmware. There is a manual in the works, and I believe a forum member here is/has helped write it. The first manual, while far from being "good", was certainly easy enough to grasp how to use the computer, which itself is quite straight forward. I anticipate the new manual to be "good" though!!

Are you sure about that?
Yes. I added the word "available" to my post you quoted, for clarification. The specs may be AT libdivecomputer, but they are not yet included in their offerings.
I use them with OW students and they don't seem to have any issues figuring things out as far as programming goes.
You are talking about loaning them to students. The OP and the thread are about purchasing. What is the first thing we tell a person who buys a dive computer? RTFM. If you buy the current Excursion you can't R the FM.

You are pretty defensive....but then, you sell them. Hmmm.

Yes. I added the word "available" to my post you quoted, for clarification. The specs may be AT libdivecomputer, but they are not yet included in their offerings.

You are talking about loaning them to students. The OP and the thread are about purchasing. What is the first thing we tell a person who buys a dive computer? RTFM. If you buy the current Excursion you can't R the FM.

You are pretty defensive....but then, you sell them. Hmmm.
Right. I ask you one question and I'm defensive? LOL. You might want to take a look in the mirror.

I'm pretty public (unlike you) about what I sell and what I don't. I dove the excursion before I was a dealer. I became a dealer because deep 6 gear is good stuff.

I can also sell the Atmos Mission 1 computers, but I don't because they don't pass the same test. There's nothing I sell that I consider to be garbage, unlike most of the retail dive industry.

I'm pretty public (unlike you) about what I sell and what I don't.
I don't sell anything. I am not a dealer for anything. I do get some instructor discounts on a few things. Just to clarify.

I agree completely on the quality and value of Deep6 gear. I own a good bit of it, including the Excursion.
The OP asked about buying his first computer: apparently you are OK with there being no manual and no upload capability; OK. I'm not. That's all.

Probably because they don't make as much money on it🤣🤣

I don't know anything about the i330r, but don't take their recommendations alone on anything. They are biased. They could also be a great shop, no idea. Always good to get other opinions though.
At the first dive shop where I taught, a SBer from out of the country but visiting Seattle became a customer where he attempted to spend $15K at the shop. I say attempted, as the owner (who used to be active on SB) wouldn't order all the items and just kept the money (I got pulled into emails where the customer after going back home still didn't get a refund on items never ordered - there's a good reason that dive shop is no longer in business).

Anyway, the customer wanted to buy Shearwaters which he fortunately did receive. Afterwards the owner scolded me for not steering them to some sh!tty dive computer that started with an L. FFS, this guy was spending $15K, the owner didn't order the things that were not in stock, and I'm the bad guy steering the customer to (1) the product he wanted and (2) a quality product.

If one purchases an Excursion now it is not the original; it coes with the upgraded firmware..

Well.... we've softened on that a little bit. lol.

I do upgrade them to the new firmware at request, but until we are at the 'final' build instead of a 'release candidate' build, they are by default shipping with the original firmware.

We do have code added to libdivecomputer (Thank you @TnT for such a great library!) for the Excursion old and new firmwares, but the speed at which it proliferates to the various apps is really up to the individual developers. We just appreciate their continued efforts at developing their awesome apps.

The manual is coming, but currently we are wrapping up the Excursion regulator service manual first.

Cheers,
Landon

Go with the Excursion. It’s my backup to my Shearwater and it perfectly matches the Perdix profile

If you want a Shearwater in the future, you’ve already got your backup computer. I’m north of 70, I have no problem reading the Excursion
This is my plan as well, been enjoying the excursion for 50+ dives, has been a great little piece of kit for the price. Just updated the firmware this past week and did my first 2 dives on it today, really like the new layouts and how the data is presented. Will be moving to twinsets and tech soon and will pick up a Shearwarer Perdix, and keep the deep6 as a backup on a with a double ender on my harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom