Deepblu Cosmiq+ Experience of buying from Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It is not a review of a Cosmiq+ dive computer, it is about my experience of buying a Cosmiq+ dive computer directly from Deepblu (Taiwan) from Canada.

There is only one official distributor of this dive computer in Canada, which is in BC, and their price for it is $475 CDN + 12% HST + shipping $28.50 for 7-day delivery (sometimes they offer a free shipping). So, the total price would be $532 CDN, assuming a free shipping (if you are lucky). If anything wrong with your computer, you will have to ship it directly to Taiwan and deal with the manufacturer for warranty repairs, not to the shop in Canada.

I did not see any point of buying this computer from the Canadian distributor because of their high price and the 'warranty' repair arrangement; and then, when I found out that there is no Canadian duties on scuba dive computers manufactured in Taiwan, I decided to buy it directly from the manufacturer. Everything went very smoothly, and I am completely satisfied with my 'buying' experience.

Here is how it went:

1. I placed my order on February 17, 2017, and received the dive computer on February 23 (total 6 days, including weekends).
2. I selected shipping by DHL for $18.91 US (which is less expensive than FedEx), but they shipped by FedEx at on extra charge.
3. The total price was $317.91 US or $425.58 CDN. Initially they charged $415.30 CDN, but then they charged $425.58 CDN, which included FedEx brokerage fees, so I did not have to pay anything to FedEx upon the delivery.
4. Comparing to buying from the Canadian distributor for $475 + 12% = $532, without shipping, which could be another $30, I saved over $100 CDN.

Set up was extremely easy, especially compared to my Oceanic Geo2 computer, which I still like and keep, but for the setup of which you need to go through a training video and you would not be able to figure out anything without a manual, especially if you are not diving every month and keep forgetting how to change settings, even changing from Air to Nitrox.

For Cosmiq+ you actually do not need a manual to figure everything out. It is very intuitive and well done. It is like an Apple Watch for divers. Synchronization with my iPhone 6s was a breeze. Yes, Cosmiq+ does not have all functions of my Oceanic computer, but for recreational diving it has everything what is needed. At least I have not figure out what I am missing.

This post is an update based on my recent diving experience with Cosmiq+.

I took my new Cosmiq+ to Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) and did 14 dives with it. I am a recreational diver, so I am okay with its features.

The two biggest problems that I had with Cosmiq+ is that (a) it is difficult to see its screen under water on a sunny day and (b) the safety stop timer is even more difficult to see because the digits are very tiny. I had to use my had to cover the screen from the light just to see something. I am glad that I had my Oceanic Geo 2 dive computer, as its screen was perfect. Please see attached photo, which, although was taken not under water, but indicates what you could expect to see underwater. This is how bad it is.View attachment 410773

Entering dive logs, which are not in their database, was a painful and time-consuming exercise. I think they need to add a feature of opening a dive log before an actual dive. For example, when you arrive to a dive site, you should be able to 'register' a new dive site by pressing the 'location' button in the App, which will enter GPS coordinates of the site, then you enter the dive site, just before or after the dive.

Also, Cosmiq+ algorithm is very conservative. In a Progressive mode, it is probably 10-15% more conservative than Oceanic DSAT algorithm.

Overall, I am not happy with this purchase, and I could not recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom