Info Deeply Safe Labs: A website for dive computer testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sacrilege has been committed! Now waiting to witness the blowback (incl. but not limited to poking holes into the testing methodology, etc., etc.,). 🍿

Not an expert on algorithms - but the page “guide to interpreting results” has some interesting and agreeable viewpoints that meet my own personal confirmation bias - as I had watched all the video interviews of Dr. Bruce about the RGBM model before I got the Suunto and decided to risk the stupid lockout mode of their DCs.
Hi @Pearlman ,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

We are indeed expecting the blowback. Let me predict some of the arguments that have not yet been brought fourth but might:
  • What tells us that computers that "handle" repetitive dives don't do so with a "guessgorithm", completely out of touch with what actually happens physiologically?
  • Is it better to spend 15 more minutes of stops or 15 minutes at rest, at the surface, being dry?
  • If some computers were widowmakers, we would have heard about it already.
  • Anyway the double dive profile can't be done because of the amount of gas required
  • These profiles are intrinsincly dangerous, absolutely nothing can be concluded from them!
We find it very interesting how a conflict of interest can push someone to make the most out of touch comments.
I think it it is reasonable to assume good intent on the part of the OP and make allowances for English likely being a second language. There are some fine scientific minds on SB, and with that comes the opportunity to share feedback in a constructive manner.

Best regards,
DDM
Hi @Duke Dive Medicine ,

Thank you very much for your valuable input. This is the exact reason why we came forth on Scubaboard. The Deeply Safe Labs website does not aim to be a scientific paper, but rather a way for anyone to better understand computers behaviour based on reproductible and factual data. Unfortunately, we are French, so english is not our mother thongue.

Best regards,
The Deeply Safe Labs Team.

I think it it is reasonable to assume good intent on the part of the OP and make allowances for English likely being a second language. There are some fine scientific minds on SB, and with that comes the opportunity to share feedback in a constructive manner.

Best regards,
DDM
sure, but like him, having been involved in dive computers at the manufs level, I know that a LOT of thought goes into it, and the intended use for the computer is an important factor in implementation decisions. Much of what he is doing is going WELL outside the design use case for many units and ignoring what the actual manuals say. His argument that it's a valid means to test/expose is.. wrong. There are many good reasons why that is, some algorithm, some programming, some hardware, and some design decisions. But, push some units far past design envelope and if the manuf didn't choose to just lock them out, you will see..exactly what he found. Is the problem the computer or the user not using as designed? If I try and do all the aerobatics in a Cessna 150 that a 150 aerobat can do, when the wings fold on me it's my fault, no matter how much I scream on the way down "BUT OTHER CESSNA 150's CAN DO IT, why didn't this one?"

I'm ok with him doing that, IF he CLEARLY annotated with what the manufs recommended use for the unit was, and any specific things regards settings from the manuals. Plus, having like you read many, many papers on deco, some of what he is claiming is.. cherry picking at best and some is just wrong. So, supply references or don't make unsupported claims.

Thank you very much for your valuable input. This is the exact reason why we came forth on Scubaboard. The Deeply Safe Labs website does not aim to be a scientific paper, but rather a way for anyone to better understand computers behaviour based on reproductible and factual data. Unfortunately, we are French, so english is not our mother thongue.

Best regards,
The Deeply Safe Labs Team.
Salut!

Si l'utilisation de l'anglais pose des problÚmes, puis-je vous suggérer d'écrire en français, s'il vous plaßt ?

MĂȘme si je suis anglo-canadien et que mon français est mĂ©diocre, mĂȘme pour les normes canadiennes :wink:, il vaudrait peut-ĂȘtre mieux Ă©viter tout malentendu.

Je dirais que lorsque l’on parle d’un sujet scientifique et thĂ©orique par nature, fournir des rĂ©fĂ©rences n’est que responsable, d’autant plus que vous essayez de sensibiliser Ă  ce que vous considĂ©rez comme un problĂšme de sĂ©curitĂ© grave et critique

Merci

Hi @lowwall ,

without bringing any argument to why they are not taking into account aggravating factors, like the right-left pulmonary shunt.

Best regards,
Eric Frasquet,
Deeply Safe Labs.
Salut Eric,
Pourquoi pensez-vous que les ordinateurs devraient prendre en compte des facteurs physiologiques tels qu'un shunt droite-gauche ?

Certes, un shunt est un facteur de risque supplémentaire de DCS (Peppas et al, 2023), mais c'est aussi un problÚme physiologique présent chez environ 25 % de la population générale. Pourquoi est-ce que c'est aux fabricants d'ordinateurs de tenir compte de l'aptitude à la plongée plutÎt qu'à l'aspect médical ?

L'industrie de la plongĂ©e ne veut pas exclure un quart de sa base de consommateurs potentiels, mais Peppas et al soulignent certainement que le shunt droite-gauche est bien trop bien reprĂ©sentĂ© chez ceux qui obtiennent le DCS. Cela me semble plus prĂ©occupant que les choix de conception faits dans les ordinateurs de plongĂ©e qui se rapportent Ă  l'utilisation conçue et prĂ©vue. Ne tient pas compte des facteurs aggravants (il existe bien plus qu’un simple shunt droite gauche Ă  des degrĂ©s divers). Le problĂšme vient donc des ordinateurs de plongĂ©e, ou d'une industrie, y compris des organisations qui ont codifiĂ© les examens mĂ©dicaux de plongĂ©e pour la plongĂ©e rĂ©crĂ©ative (RSTC, UHMS et DAN), qui savent qu'un shunt droit-gauche peut constituer un risque grave (RSTC Medical, instructions au mĂ©decin, 2020), mais ne nĂ©cessite-t-il pas de tests pour exclure ?

Ma prĂ©occupation est que l'extrapolation de tous les facteurs susceptibles d'augmenter le risque pour un plongeur dans la conception d'un ordinateur aboutirait Ă  un ordinateur de plongĂ©e qui conseille "Ne plongez pas". AprĂšs tout, mis Ă  part les problĂšmes physiologiques, la visibilitĂ© de l’eau, la tempĂ©rature, l’expĂ©rience, le poids, etc. sont tous des facteurs bien Ă©tablis qui contribuent Ă  de mauvais rĂ©sultats. Bien qu'en thĂ©orie, vous puissiez concevoir un ordinateur de plongĂ©e pour mesurer et prendre en compte tous ces Ă©lĂ©ments (avec des capteurs appropriĂ©s, une saisie utilisateur et une capacitĂ© de calcul), il semble beaucoup d'efforts pour proposer "Ne plongez pas".

Community Verified icon

Hi @cerich ,

Votre Français n'est pas si médiocre.

However, with some consideration to the other users of this forum, let's keep this in English. Our writing may not be perfect, but it is good enough to avoid any missunderstanding. If we have trouble understanding someone, we would be asking questions anyway. There is no need to worry on this side.

Salut Eric,
Pourquoi pensez-vous que les ordinateurs devraient prendre en compte des facteurs physiologiques tels qu'un shunt droite-gauche ?

Certes, un shunt est un facteur de risque supplémentaire de DCS (Peppas et al, 2023), mais c'est aussi un problÚme physiologique présent chez environ 25 % de la population générale. Pourquoi est-ce que c'est aux fabricants d'ordinateurs de tenir compte de l'aptitude à la plongée plutÎt qu'à l'aspect médical ?

L'industrie de la plongĂ©e ne veut pas exclure un quart de sa base de consommateurs potentiels, mais Peppas et al soulignent certainement que le shunt droite-gauche est bien trop bien reprĂ©sentĂ© chez ceux qui obtiennent le DCS. Cela me semble plus prĂ©occupant que les choix de conception faits dans les ordinateurs de plongĂ©e qui se rapportent Ă  l'utilisation conçue et prĂ©vue. Ne tient pas compte des facteurs aggravants (il existe bien plus qu’un simple shunt droite gauche Ă  des degrĂ©s divers). Le problĂšme vient donc des ordinateurs de plongĂ©e, ou d'une industrie, y compris des organisations qui ont codifiĂ© les examens mĂ©dicaux de plongĂ©e pour la plongĂ©e rĂ©crĂ©ative (RSTC, UHMS et DAN), qui savent qu'un shunt droit-gauche peut constituer un risque grave (RSTC Medical, instructions au mĂ©decin, 2020), mais ne nĂ©cessite-t-il pas de tests pour exclure ?

Ma prĂ©occupation est que l'extrapolation de tous les facteurs susceptibles d'augmenter le risque pour un plongeur dans la conception d'un ordinateur aboutirait Ă  un ordinateur de plongĂ©e qui conseille "Ne plongez pas". AprĂšs tout, mis Ă  part les problĂšmes physiologiques, la visibilitĂ© de l’eau, la tempĂ©rature, l’expĂ©rience, le poids, etc. sont tous des facteurs bien Ă©tablis qui contribuent Ă  de mauvais rĂ©sultats. Bien qu'en thĂ©orie, vous puissiez concevoir un ordinateur de plongĂ©e pour mesurer et prendre en compte tous ces Ă©lĂ©ments (avec des capteurs appropriĂ©s, une saisie utilisateur et une capacitĂ© de calcul), il semble beaucoup d'efforts pour proposer "Ne plongez pas".

View attachment 833564

Are you refering to the article named "Right-to-Left Shunt in Divers with Neurological Decompression Sickness: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis"?

There seem to be some kind of missunderstanding here. This study focuses on the patent foramen ovale (PFO), as one of the contributing factors to what is generally refered as right to left shunt (RLS). I suppose that is why you mention 25% of the population, but the article clearly talks only about PFO:

[...] PFO is common in the general population, with an estimated prevalence of 25–30%.

What we are talking about is specifically the right-left pulmonary shunt, which is described briefly in the introduction of the article you mention:

[...] the supersaturation of tissues with dissolved gas that overwhelms pulmonary filtration capacity [...]

You are asking why we believe this right-left pulmonary shunt should be accounted for in dive computers. What we do or don't believe does not matter. What seems more important is what Pr. A. A. BĂŒhlmann wrote:

Experimental dives and statistics (DAN, BSAC) confirm a higher risk of decompression sickness for repetitive dives. Microbubbles in the venous blood obstructing a part of the lung capillaries produce ventilation-perfusion trouble, a right-left shunt well known in lung physiology. The arterial nitrogen pressure is for a few hours distinctly higher than the nitrogen pressure in the inspired air. Therefore the nitrogen elimination by respiration is retarded.

The algorithm ZH-L8 ADT takes into consideration this risk in extreme repetitive dives [...]

The algorithm ZH-L8 ADT is not only a needed modification, it is an essential improvement.

Source: Albert A. BĂŒhlmann, Behavior of dive computer algorithms in repetitive dives : experience and needed modifications, in Hamilton R.W. edition, UHMS Workshop 81, 6-1-1994, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society.

sure, but like him, having been involved in dive computers at the manufs level, I know that a LOT of thought goes into it, and the intended use for the computer is an important factor in implementation decisions. Much of what he is doing is going WELL outside the design use case for many units and ignoring what the actual manuals say. His argument that it's a valid means to test/expose is.. wrong. There are many good reasons why that is, some algorithm, some programming, some hardware, and some design decisions. But, push some units far past design envelope and if the manuf didn't choose to just lock them out, you will see..exactly what he found. Is the problem the computer or the user not using as designed? If I try and do all the aerobatics in a Cessna 150 that a 150 aerobat can do, when the wings fold on me it's my fault, no matter how much I scream on the way down "BUT OTHER CESSNA 150's CAN DO IT, why didn't this one?"

I'm ok with him doing that, IF he CLEARLY annotated with what the manufs recommended use for the unit was, and any specific things regards settings from the manuals. Plus, having like you read many, many papers on deco, some of what he is claiming is.. cherry picking at best and some is just wrong. So, supply references or don't make unsupported claims.

I have trouble understanding how the lack of source invalidates our claims. Let me take an example, with this conference:

At 15:00, @Dr Simon Mitchell talks about the inverse correlation between decompression time and DCS risk, however he never gives any source to back that up. Does that mean that Dr Mitchell is not a scientist? Does that mean that his claim is wrong? I don't think so, it probably just means that he is simplifying his speech for the sake of his audience.

Now, let's be constructive and leave these petty arguments behind us. You seem to disagree with us, and that's fine, but please make your point clearly:
Which claims exactly are you denying? Why?
Do you have a specific example of a computer that, in its manual, makes a mention of a scope of use that we would have breached?

Best regards,
Eric Frasquet,
Deeply Safe Labs.

Edit:

There seems to be a problem with embedding the youtube video. Here's a direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/live/jR0Fu20zlYQ?si=fo-K0X2OiaPVy0F0&t=900

Hi @cerich ,

Votre Français n'est pas si médiocre.

However, with some consideration to the other users of this forum, let's keep this in English. Our writing may not be perfect, but it is good enough to avoid any missunderstanding. If we have trouble understanding someone, we would be asking questions anyway. There is no need to worry on this side.

Are you refering to the article named "Right-to-Left Shunt in Divers with Neurological Decompression Sickness: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis"?
Yes
There seem to be some kind of missunderstanding here. This study focuses on the patent foramen ovale (PFO), as one of the contributing factors to what is generally refered as right to left shunt (RLS). I suppose that is why you mention 25% of the population, but the article clearly talks only about PFO:
Hmmm..... the paper uses the term "shunt" a lot, in context of PFO
What we are talking about is specifically the right-left pulmonary shunt, which is described briefly in the introduction of the article you mention:
Where specifically? Both me and "ctl F" are missing finding a specific use of the term "pulmonary shunt". In fact, the right-left shunts refers to something that happens in the heart, most commonly by far a PFO. Unless I am reading you wrong, you seem to think that right-left shunting occurs in the lungs based on his comment??? "Right left" is REALLY important.. to the heart. Pulmonary shunting such as in ARDS isn't gonna be exclusively right left, left right, up down or down up, it could be all of that or some of that.
You are asking why we believe this right-left pulmonary shunt should be accounted for in dive computers. What we do or don't believe does not matter. What seems more important is what Pr. A. A. BĂŒhlmann wrote:

Source: Albert A. BĂŒhlmann, Behavior of dive computer algorithms in repetitive dives : experience and needed modifications, in Hamilton R.W. edition, UHMS Workshop 81, 6-1-1994, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society.

https://www.youtube.com/live/jR0Fu20zlYQ?si=fo-K0X2OiaPVy0F0&t=900
OK, this is when using sources is handy, you have quoted BĂŒhlmann, are you sure you are correct in your understanding? Other than PFO or some physical damage/defect to the heart, by what mechanism is right left shunting occurring? I don't read that comment by him to infer that there is any right-left shunting occurring in the lungs.. umm because it makes no sense. Micro bubbles interfering with perfusion in the alveolar/pulmonary capillaries does. I believe he was mentioning the right-left shunt because it is quarter of folks (PFO) and in them, they are more likely to have unfiltered microbubble lodge there. Honestly, beyond PFO and right left shunting I can think of other reasons for there to be reduced efficiency of perfusion (like inflammation, variety of potential causes, some specific to diving).

These should help you understand

Physiology, Pulmonary Ventilation and Perfusion

Ventilation/Perfusion Relationships and Gas Exchange: Measurement Approaches

Some other papers that help paint a bigger picture

Decompression Illness in Repetitive Breath-Hold Diving: Why Ischemic Lesions Involve the Brain?

Risk mitigation in divers with persistent (patent) foramen ovale

Increased Risk of Decompression Sickness When Diving With a Right-to-Left Shunt: Results of a Prospective Single-Blinded Observational Study (The “Carotid Doppler” Study)

Relationship between right-to-left shunts and cutaneous decompression illness

and of course the paper we have both mentioned for those that don't know what we are talking about

Right-to-Left Shunt in Divers with Neurological Decompression Sickness: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Now, can shunting occur in the lungs? Yes. In folks with ARDS, but while there is some insight in looking at that situation, for diving you would have to be talking about massive bubbling from severe DCS or fluid from IPE etc., I can't see microbubbles from those with right left shunting causing this in any measurable amount within the context of dive computers accounting for. I mean, for that we are talking BENT very badly, with all the ancillary crisis things that come with for treatment(when I leave as chamber attendant and a person with MD, possibly a hyperbaric and emergency medicine trained PA enters as chamber attendant) I can see IPE however giving folks a nice dose of it. In fact, I can see IPE and right left shunting combined as being a real PITA in certain circumstances.

Pathophysiology and Clinical Meaning of Ventilation-Perfusion Mismatch in the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome

Where specifically? Both me and "ctl F" are missing finding a specific use of the term "pulmonary shunt". In fact, the right-left shunts refers to something that happens in the lung, most commonly by far a PFO.
I believe the text in bold was made in error. It should read "heart", not "lung".

As cerich was saying in the rest of the post, the term shunting in the context of DCS is about bubbles moving from the venous to arterial side of the heart in divers with a PFO.

I believe the text in bold was made in error. It should read "heart", not "lung".

As cerich was saying in the rest of the post, the term shunting in the context of DCS is about bubbles moving from the venous to arterial side of the heart in divers with a PFO.
it was, thanks and fixed.

Yes

Where specifically? Both me and "ctl F" are missing finding a specific use of the term "pulmonary shunt". In fact, the right-left shunts refers to something that happens in the heart, most commonly by far a PFO. Unless I am reading you wrong, you seem to think that right-left shunting occurs in the lungs based on his comment??? "Right left" is REALLY important.. to the heart. Pulmonary shunting such as in ARDS isn't gonna be exclusively right left, left right, up down or down up, it could be all of that or some of that.

OK, this is when using sources is handy, you have quoted BĂŒhlmann, are you sure you are correct in your understanding? Other than PFO or some physical damage/defect to the heart, by what mechanism is right left shunting occurring? I don't read that comment by him to infer that there is any right-left shunting occurring in the lungs.. umm because it makes no sense. Micro bubbles interfering with perfusion in the alveolar/pulmonary capillaries does. I believe he was mentioning the right-left shunt because it is quarter of folks (PFO) and in them, they are more likely to have unfiltered microbubble lodge there. Honestly, beyond PFO and right left shunting I can think of other reasons for there to be reduced efficiency of perfusion (like inflammation, variety of potential causes, some specific to diving).

These should help you understand

Physiology, Pulmonary Ventilation and Perfusion

Ventilation/Perfusion Relationships and Gas Exchange: Measurement Approaches

Some other papers that help paint a bigger picture

Decompression Illness in Repetitive Breath-Hold Diving: Why Ischemic Lesions Involve the Brain?

Risk mitigation in divers with persistent (patent) foramen ovale

Increased Risk of Decompression Sickness When Diving With a Right-to-Left Shunt: Results of a Prospective Single-Blinded Observational Study (The “Carotid Doppler” Study)

Relationship between right-to-left shunts and cutaneous decompression illness

and of course the paper we have both mentioned for those that don't know what we are talking about

Right-to-Left Shunt in Divers with Neurological Decompression Sickness: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Now, can shunting occur in the lungs? Yes. In folks with ARDS, but while there is some insight in looking at that situation, for diving you would have to be talking about massive bubbling from severe DCS or fluid from IPE etc., I can't see microbubbles from those with right left shunting causing this in any measurable amount within the context of dive computers accounting for. I mean, for that we are talking BENT very badly, with all the ancillary crisis things that come with for treatment(when I leave as chamber attendant and a person with MD, possibly a hyperbaric and emergency medicine trained PA enters as chamber attendant) I can see IPE however giving folks a nice dose of it. In fact, I can see IPE and right left shunting combined as being a real PITA in certain circumstances.

Pathophysiology and Clinical Meaning of Ventilation-Perfusion Mismatch in the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
You may be referring to intrapulmonary shunting in the sense of blood in pulmonary capillaries bypassing non-functioning alveoli - your ARDS example is a good one. I would add that anatomic AV intrapulmonary shunts have been documented in healthy adults as well.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom