DEMA Show 2014: Detailed Marketing Analysis Now Available...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People say to open DEMA up to consumers. Sorry, don't think that is the answer, just another dive show then! I think that the better idea is to do away with DEMA Show and money will be better spent.

Here are four reasons why.
First, this would be a win, win for everyone. We have current dive shows around the US, let's really utilize them. All the vendors are already there. Here is how, set up Wednesday, use Thursday and Friday like a DEMA show (open to professionals, meet with dealers and potential new dealers). The show would then open up Friday 5-9pm and Sat/Sun 9-5pm. They have tried this locally at Beneath the Sea for the past 2 years. Key word is "tried"! It wasn't heavily promoted this way and of all my Vendors, only got a call from one or two of my vendors trying to set up an appointment to meet with me (like DEMA).

Secondly, this will thin out a lot of the smaller companies offering gear (knock off companies) that only do DEMA. We have plenty of choices for Regs, BC's, Wetsuits, etc. that it only waters down the industry even more. People say there were not a lot of vendors, well how many more of the same regulators do you need to see in a different color with a different logo? As far as gear goes, I feel we have already peaked. You can't really change a regulator, BC, snorkel, etc too much more. Our only innovations/advancements are really coming from cameras, brighter computers, rebreathers, lights. So yes, we are having less vendors because the knock off companies are around for a only a couple of years, then go bye, bye.

Thirdly, timing of the show. Manufactures show products that are not shipping until next year (March, April, May, June etc..). Piggy backing with the other shows only makes that time seem less and looks better to consumer because they have less time to wait if they want to get products. This is all riding on manufacturers hitting their date! Unfortunately, this doesn't happen a lot. Now of course DEMA is used by the manufacturers to pre-book orders, but that is a thing of the past and not many shops do these days.

Fourth and last reason. I get calls from all of my reps to meet with me right (about a month) before DEMA. If I meet then, why do I need to go? Manufacturers/Reps are hurting themselves.

Two more quick things:
Yes, we need to get younger people involved! Teenagers, people in 20's & 30's. A lot of what we see is 40's and older.

Here's one, Where is the National Campaign? I've said for years, to DEMA, vendors etc., we need a national campaign. If there can be one for MILK, why can't we have one for SCUBA DIVING? They tried a "Be a Diver" campaign which amounted to nothing! IMO, it was because it was a big amount for dealers to Become a member, then you had to Buy the TV commercial. If other Dive Shops didn't join in buying the commercial, then it was even more money. Where is the help, just seamed like someone other than the Dive Shop was making the money, so why be a member for this campaign?

The industry is fiddling while Rome burns. Scuba diving needs to be completely repositioned from a marketing standpoint. There's a great book title (it's a career book not marketing) but the title is apropos:

"What got you here... won't get you there."

The promise of recreational scuba diving has been "go underwater and see pretty fish" since 1943.

Name one other sport, brand, product, service, industry, etc that has not been repositioned - through specific effort or evolving technology - multiple times since then.

We're still diving essentially the same gear as JY Cousteau for the purpose of looking at pretty fish
In the meantime technology in every other area has evolved to the point where anyone in the world can see pretty fish in HighDef in their living room.

There's a pure marketing play needed here. Since we can't change the product... we need to change the PERCEPTION. Rebreathers, sidemount, GoPros, scooters, etc won't do that. May keep a few more people in a bit longer, but to the non-diver scuba will always be about seeing pretty fish.

Unless we make it about something else.

What is that something else?

I don't know yet. The market research - REAL MARKET RESEARCH - needs to be done.

If any one has any ideas... keep them to yourself. The real market research we need to do doesn't ask DIVERS what we should say to non-divers. The market research we need to do needs to ask NON-DIVERS questions. And not about diving. At least not in the first round of research.

We need to know what problem non-divers have that scuba diving can solve... and then reposition scuba diving as offering a solution to THAT problem.

The biggest marketing blunders ever seen have almost universally involved someone trying to solve a problem that the customer doesn't have.

Currently we are offering the ability to "see pretty fish" to a world that has no problem seeing pretty fish.

We'd have more success trying to sell ice to eskimos.

Hmm, I hear you Wayne, some interesting points. In my opinion Dema lost its way about 10 years ago, perhaps it was an unsuspecting victim of a changing and declining scuba market, but I think it was more a victim of its own inability to change with the times. Manufacturers and brand names the world over are trying their best to get closer to their end customers (you and me NOT the distribution channels) not further away, I dont see trade only shows helping in this respect.

One just needs to look at the ISPO sports show show in Munich, it attracts millions of people from all over the world, it showcases the worlds largest sporting brands alongside the worlds smallest, its a 4 day festival of everything sporting - but remove the public, and sadly you would have.....well, probably you would have a Dema.!:D

When Dema was held in January I would attend Dema and then go to ISPO, many of the companies who exhibited at Dema simply did the same, Sheico, IST, Aeropec, and others I cant recall now, they simply packed up at Dema and moved over to ISPO and these are companies manufacturing and supplying large swaths of the worlds diving gear under various brand names.

I certainly agree there is an overabundance of the same product under various names, but I dont see that as an issue, if anything its good for competition as these companies can only really compete on price, the problem from my view is getting new feet into fins, it just aint happening.

Maybe the dive industry is just too small to host a dedicated dive show for the trade only, throwing open the doors like ISPO may, just may, bring new blood into the sport, and heavens knows, it needs it.

Watch the following TED Talk for an informative - and entertaining - description of how advertising adds value to a product by changing our perception, rather than the product itself.

Rory Sutherland: Life lessons from an ad man | Talk Video | TED.com

It's 18min long (TED Talks have to be 18min or less) but I promise worth it.

Ray

widget - "Maybe the dive industry is just too small to host a dedicated dive show for the trade only, throwing open the doors like ISPO may, just may, bring new blood into the sport, and heavens knows, it needs it. "

Small it is! Both Long Beach, Ca & Beneath the Sea Shows seam to draw more divers, better quality money/time spent which in turn adds to the quality of the shows. ISPO, Sounds like a good way to attract divers.

I'm just a consumer/newish diver. I think my demographics pretty much make me the optimal customer for any dive shop or dive manufacturer. I think they should open DEMA to regular divers on some days, and I liked the suggestion of doing industry people on weekdays and divers on the weekend.

They could also introduce a system where tickets to the public are distributed through Dive Shops, and when the customers buy at the show, the ticket is scanned and the LDS get a commission on the sale.

I would have gone to DEMA to get a drysuit.

I'm just a consumer/newish diver. I think my demographics pretty much make me the optimal customer for any dive shop or dive manufacturer. I think they should open DEMA to regular divers on some days, and I liked the suggestion of doing industry people on weekdays and divers on the weekend.

They could also introduce a system where tickets to the public are distributed through Dive Shops, and when the customers buy at the show, the ticket is scanned and the LDS get a commission on the sale.

Problem is that it's not about demographics. It's about psychographics.

We need to know the WHY before we can figure out the WHO.

Random DEMA observations...

The nature of the scuba business has changed so DEMA has changed. I went to my first DEMA in 1992 and back then dealers met with sales reps at the show to place their orders and preschedule the release dates for the whole year. Now, no one preorders product for the whole season. Retailers expect the manufacturers to have the product on the shelf, ready to ship when they want it (Just In Time Inventory). The shift in the way retailers purchase product has had an impact on what happens at DEMA.

I think that as DEMA becomes less of a buying show and more of a industry meeting show, the idea of letting the endusers attend makes more sense.

As long as I can remember, there have been those that said DEMA would go away (yep even me).

As an interesting insight, take a look at this thread from 2005...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shows-events/88955-dying-dema.html
Some things change, some don't...

Reactions: RJP
… I think they should open DEMA to regular divers on some days, and I liked the suggestion of doing industry people on weekdays and divers on the weekend.

They could also introduce a system where tickets to the public are distributed through Dive Shops, and when the customers buy at the show, the ticket is scanned and the LDS get a commission on the sale...

These are interesting ideas. The very significant mobilization and demobilization costs could be amortized over a B2B and consumer show. It also increases the chance that an LDS will get a commission rather than someone being able to see and fondle products at the show and buy them off the Internet.

In fact, the consumer could pay for it at the show and pick it up at the LDS, increasing traffic and an opportunity to deepen relationships. The inevitable conversations that ensue provides customer feedback to the LDS before they make their spring inventory purchases. Selling off the show floor can get complicated since many venues charge a fortune to move material on and off the floor.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2014 at 01:55 PM ----------

… Rory Sutherland: Life lessons from an ad man | Talk Video | TED.com

It's 18min long (TED Talks have to be 18min or less) but I promise worth it…

I agree it is entertaining. Most concepts are useful for recruiting new customers, but of limited value in maintaining customers/divers. Diving has a pretty high drop-out rate, losing ongoing customers and that all-important [-]silent[/-] unpaid sales force. People don’t tell their friends how cool diving is when they don’t dive anymore.

Dive Training Today, A Perspective by Bret Gilliam, Diver Magazine

Training is part of the problem as alluded to in this article, but so are problems with the experience. Except for rare tropical vacation$, local diving even in a place like California is a lot of work. Most places in the industrialized world require a drysuit to make it tolerable. That not only adds displacement (thus lead to counterbalance) it makes gearing up, getting in the water, out of the water, undressed, and cleaning all the gear a laborious and generally unpleasant process. You have to really like diving to be willing to pay the price. An unlimited ad budget won’t change that.

Last edited:
As for DEMA I thought it was a slow year and I also thought the new product expo was kind of a bust. just back in the corner with not all that much new stuff and no one there to talk about whatever may have been brand new and exciting. The coolest new thing I saw was EarShield in the Dive 1st Aid Booth. Way too much repetition with the travel booths. Go Pro was very cool. The free massages were a god send by Saturday. Lack of food was to be expected at a convention.

Back
Top Bottom