Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a feeling that a LOT more major manufacturers are going to take a pass on the DEMA show this year. I would be surprised if you see Aqua Lung, ScubaPro, and Atomic there this year. The economy simply doesn't permit that kind of wasteful spending.

Personally, I think the Dive Equipment Marketing Association make have itself out on a gigantic financial ledge with commitments for the convention center, hotels, and meeting rooms.....with very few "heavy hitters" from which to get the income. Of course, PADI, the one that matters the most financially, will certainly be there.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Scubapro haven't been there the last few years anyway, but I think you might be right in that some of the other major manufacturers may pull out. I know that is why SP made the decision not to attend the cost for the booth space alone is exorbitant, and once you factor in staff expenses such as hotel and travel, you are talking a lot of $$$.

I will be attending as I normally do, mainly because it a great opportunity for me to hook up with people from hotels, dive centres, liveaboards, etc, I have dived with over the years, and make new contacts for future articles, etc. If I get to see some genuinely new kit while I am at it, so much the better.

Oh, and some of the parties are good fun! :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Mark

I know that is why SP made the decision not to attend the cost for the booth space alone is exorbitant,

I've heard that Orlando is one of the most expensive places to do a convention... for exhibitors...

I think the draw of Orlando has to do with Disney and the other theme parks for any convention attendee (and their family).

I've heard that Orlando is one of the most expensive places to do a convention... for exhibitors...
It's the cheapest one for me! That might be because I live here! :D

It's the cheapest one for me! That might be because I live here! :D

naw you don't, you've gone web 3.0 on us and live in the cloud.....

I honestly believe that the internet has ameliorated DEMA's ability to make a difference in today's economic climate. I don't know that we can blame DEMA... they are caught up in an anachronistic paradigm of having to do things in real time instead of on the Internet. It was kind of amazing this past DEMA as to just how many peeps came up and told me I was a true pioneer for what I have done here. I am not sure where that came from, but it started with Doug Krause of Oceanic telling me that last May. I don't know about pioneer, but I am happy that I was in the right place at the right time and even now there are those manufacturers who see us as "just a fad".

Now, here's the funny part. I have offered to help DEMA, Sport Diver and Scuba Diving Magazine to increase their internet penetration. Unfortunately, I think they see me as some sort of competitor, which is the real problem. The internet is HUGE, and no one has reached saturation on the net. That's why you see Facebook and MySpace still making innovations: they want even MORE users! For media, there are no "competitors" as much as there are comrades in arms. The more successful I can make them, the better I will do in turn. The tide rises all boats, but if your anchor is firmly attached to the bottom and you didn't have the foresight to give it some slack, then your boat is sunk!

The internet is made up largely of three groups:
  1. The innovators
  2. The participants
  3. The lost

If you haven't made as much ingress into the cyber world as you would like, perhaps you should engage those who HAVE. The offer is still open for me. I would love to see them benefit from our information age, but it appears that they are afraid.

1. The innovators
  2. The participants
  3. The lost

That sounds correct, and that means I must be... uh oh.

Pete:

You have made a very significant impact for all of us in diving.

The continuing, real time, dialogues, the great back and forth and feedback, have helped us all. We frequently forward threads to our friends in Japan and have made changes to our own products based on the feedback we see here.

Well done NetDoc.

1. The innovators
  2. The participants
  3. The lost
That sounds correct, and that means I must be... uh oh.
There is no harm in being a "participant" and you are at least that if you are posting here! I would suggest that we need at least one innovator for every 119,845 people on the internet and actually a few more! :D However, if you are "lost" don't be afraid to ask for directions! The internet was built on mutual cooperation, much to Bill Gate's chagrin. The old system of charging everyone for everything just doesn't work here.

DEMA is not worth it for the big players, but if you are a new company trying to get out there, it sure helps for people to actually get their lunchhooks on your gear.
Some of the farther travel places might not keep going. At this point in time, if they're established and have a good internet presence, no need to attend.
I did find it kinda unreal that two of the biggest weasels I ever met in the dive business seem to rotate through on the DEMA BOD. I'm sure that there are many other fine and esteemable weasels in the dive industry as well as all other businesses.
I did manage to meet Pete at the last DEMA in Orlando while he took a break running laps around the perimeter keeping us all safe from al-Qaeda.

Back
Top Bottom