Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from the economy, the ability to do business and easily distribute information over the net has affected many trade shows in other industries. They either reinvent themselves so there is enough reason for people to physically attend, get smaller, or disappear.

It appears that now Henderson Aquatics has officially decided to pass on DEMA this year. Letters stating as much were sent to dealers this week. Oceanic had previously made the decision to pass on DEMA for this year.

Phil Ellis
]

So Who all has been listed as "not coming"?

quote the list andPut the name down that you know about

Not Coming to DEMA: (as shown by this thread)
1.) DUI (drysuits)
2.) Hollis
3.) Oceanic
4.) Aeris
5.) Apollo - confirmed as not coming, post #35
6.) ScubaPro
7.) Henderson
8.) Force Fins

Attending:
1.) zeagle
2.) Blackbeards
3.) Whites

Last edited:
Mike S, you can add Force Fin to your list as not going to Dema. Thanks to those Banker's who have robbed all of us.

Mike S,

You can also add Apollo Sports USA to your list. We prefer to spend our money having inventory.

Parties and back slapping, and the travel, training and trinkets deal can wait for another time.

I didnt see Mares and Dacor amongst the present list of attendees either, as very big global players, I would view their exit as a sign of no confidence in the show.

I tend to agree whole heartedly with mdb, the parties and various other activities are not enough to entice international visitors who have to make the enormous cost of getting there worthwhile.

The annual DEMA show has certainly evolved over the years, from a once-a-year opportunity for manufacturers to roll out their latest offerings, to a much more balanced event with equipment, travel, training and educational opportunities for everyone.

Yes, this year, some manufacturers have chosen to not attend, but most others are, and some who were not there last year are coming back. If anyone attended the recent Beneath the Sea show you would have been hard pressed to find any evidence of the reported economic recession. Indian Valley Scuba exhibited at the show and it was our most successful to date; in fact, we have already contracted to increase our booth size for next year's show.

That being said, while it may be tough to 'quantify' attendence at the DEMA show from a "dollars back on investment" persective, there is no doubt that you can certainly 'qualify' the time & money spent with the chances to see new lines, learn about products in the pipelines and new releases that your sales rep has not yet shown you, attend training agency seminars to refresh & renew knowledge, learn new travel opportunities, conveniently attend numerous manufacturer service & repair seminars, and perhaps most importantly, partake in the many social opportunities to see so many contacts within the dive community, meet new ones, and grow your personal and dive center's presence within the industry. While some of the technical aspects of what I mentioned above can be achieved while sitting in your shop in front of your computer, the social interaction can only be achieved in person. We attend DEMA every year, and typically bring 4 to 6 additional staff members, for all the reasons above. We consider it a very positive investment.

This is an interesting read. About an issue that happened with DEMA officials at the 2007 show. (read the first post at least).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/shows-events/209021-dema-lack-ethics.html

Yes, very interesting indeed - (I read all the posts :D) and some diverse opinions.

Actually I was at the named 2007 show but was quite unaware of the issue.

From my chats with Manufacturing exhibitors (behind the scenes) they will tell you that 10 years ago they USED to write good orders and sign up good new clients, however few customers place significant orders at Dema now and its usually the "same faces year after year" and new clients are few and far between.

So slowly the reasons to attend dried up. A few felt they needed to be there to maintain an "image" of strong international and / or local market player, but, the grim reality is that the Scuba industry, world wide is in a leaking boat, and Dema no longer represents a sound investment to many, as someone said, that money could be better spent on inventory.

The big name brands are well established internationally with established buyers and distributors, and locally with a set network of shops they are happy to continue working with, so, there is simply no justification to spend huge dollars to portray an image for a few "tyre kickers" they probably will never do business with anyway.

Of course the travel industry may be differant and Dema may still serve their purpose, (I am not involved with this section so I cant comment) but as far as equipment manufacturers go, - I think a lot of them simply dont see the point anymore.

DEMA has made bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. The board only supports the "good ole boys." And has only tried to support it's own importance. DEMA should focus on benefiting the entire industry not itself.

Also, manufacturers and dive stores who do back room deals with businesses like leasurepro only hurt the industry. Those that do this should be exposed, DEMA should deal with them.

Here's a e-mail that DEMA recently sent:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom