Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did manage to meet Pete at the last DEMA in Orlando while he took a break running laps around the perimeter keeping us all safe from al-Qaeda.
I am sure that meeting me, just by itself, makes any DEMA worthwhile! :D As for my "protective services", [Accent=ThickSicilian]I made them an offer they couldn't refuse![/Accent] :D

I honestly believe that the internet has ameliorated DEMA's ability to make a difference in today's economic climate. I don't know that we can blame DEMA... they are caught up in an anachronistic paradigm of having to do things in real time instead of on the Internet. It was kind of amazing this past DEMA as to just how many peeps came up and told me I was a true pioneer for what I have done here. I am not sure where that came from, but it started with Doug Krause of Oceanic telling me that last May. I don't know about pioneer, but I am happy that I was in the right place at the right time and even now there are those manufacturers who see us as "just a fad".

Now, here's the funny part. I have offered to help DEMA, Sport Diver and Scuba Diving Magazine to increase their internet penetration. Unfortunately, I think they see me as some sort of competitor, which is the real problem. The internet is HUGE, and no one has reached saturation on the net. That's why you see Facebook and MySpace still making innovations: they want even MORE users! For media, there are no "competitors" as much as there are comrades in arms. The more successful I can make them, the better I will do in turn. The tide rises all boats, but if your anchor is firmly attached to the bottom and you didn't have the foresight to give it some slack, then your boat is sunk!

The internet is made up largely of three groups:
  1. The innovators
  2. The participants
  3. The lost

If you haven't made as much ingress into the cyber world as you would like, perhaps you should engage those who HAVE. The offer is still open for me. I would love to see them benefit from our information age, but it appears that they are afraid.

Wow...I had to look up a few of those big words... :D

Really, I can sum it all up for you in only a few words:

Dude, get a backplate and wing!

:crafty:

Hello,

Whites Manufacturing is certainly going to be attending this year as last years show produced record results for our company! For Whites DEMA continues to be invaluable in establishing and cementing business partnerships.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Justin

When DEMA was in February, there was a lot of attendance, but when it moved to October, the attendance began falling off. The travel industry wanted the move. Most dive shops are still running trips in October.

Most equipment reps can do regional shows and see more shops at a lower expense. If you are a new company, you can make contacts that wouldn't have known have found out about you otherwise. An introductory email won't get the same response as an actual meeting. A good example is XS Scuba. They were new on the scene at DEMA a few years ago and since then their products and number of customers has grown.

JimLap:
I have never been to DEMA and have made up my mind that I never will.

I hope you'll change your mind. I'd love to meet you and working the SEI booth together would be a great time for it.

When DEMA was in February, there was a lot of attendance, but when it moved to October, the attendance began falling off. The travel industry wanted the move. Most dive shops are still running trips in October.

Most equipment reps can do regional shows and see more shops at a lower expense. If you are a new company, you can make contacts that wouldn't have known have found out about you otherwise. An introductory email won't get the same response as an actual meeting. A good example is XS Scuba. They were new on the scene at DEMA a few years ago and since then their products and number of customers has grown.

I would agree that XS Scuba is representative of a company that benefits greatly from attending the DEMA show. However, XS Scuba is not successful because of DEMA....the DEMA show is successful for them because they are a squared-away company that listens closely to the market and makes the stuff that divers want. Personally, in my limited experience in the scuba industry, I have not seen another company that spends so much time trying to find out what divers want and then channels their investments in exactly that direction. Mike, Dan, and Mark are on the ball. That is what it takes to succeed in the scuba industry these days.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

I would agree that XS Scuba is representative of a company that benefits greatly from attending the DEMA show. However, XS Scuba is not successful because of DEMA....the DEMA show is successful for them because they are a squared-away company that listens closely to the market and makes the stuff that divers want. Personally, in my limited experience in the scuba industry, I have not seen another company that spends so much time trying to find out what divers want and then channels their investments in exactly that direction. Mike, Dan, and Mark are on the ball. That is what it takes to succeed in the scuba industry these days.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

My point was that they got the exposure at DEMA so people knew what products they had. The face to face time and hands on of the product gets people to take notice, unlike an introductory email.

They do listen to the customer, I didn't question that.

I have been in the diving industry in various forms for over 30 years now, last year was my 23 rd visit to Dema.

I have really tried to find an excuse to visit this year, but have been unsuccessfull, I am certain last year was my last Dema show.

As an international visitor with my main focus on equipment I find less and less to interest me and frankly DEMA has become in my opinion a travel and T shirt show.

The decline in the equipment side of the show is clearly evident and was started years ago by the exit of Scuba Pro, most of the other manufacturers have tried to put on a brave face and have attended in a smaller capacity or in smaller stands away from the main entrance, but as a big buyer of equipment who speaks to most of them, the feeling is general, the show is no longer doing them justice, - they simply dont write anywhere near sufficient orders or meet nearly enough new customers to warrant the expense of them been there.

To be honest as an international buyer,the expense of getting to Dema for me is no longer justified by the greater extent of the show and theres little I cannot do over the phone or internet from the comfort of my office that I can do at Dema.

Back
Top Bottom