Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, I haven't seen this letter yet.

While I think DEMA is just fine in many respects, it is my humble opinion that it's the companies with a strong internet presence that will be the ones benefiting from that "pent up consumer demand". Of course, they are going to have to SURVIVE the recession before they get to benefit from any recovery! This pull back by many is a real effort for some of these companies to do just that: SURVIVE. I wonder what DEMA is doing to help keep those companies viable? Is there anything they CAN do in that respect?

DEMA should offer classes on HOW to market to consumers through forums just like ScubaBoard. I have offered my services to them for FREE and yet they don't deem it important enough to present to their membership. They did suggest that I pay them for the honor of teaching a such class to their members. Apparently, they just don't understand the significance of social media networking on the internet.

It is rather interesting that many of the companies not going to DEMA this year have a wonderful presence on the internet, including here on www.ScubaBoard.com. Rather than putting all their eggs in only one basket, they have found alternative ways to reach the dive shop and consumer alike.

Well you really cant blame alot of the folks who have elected to not show this year, DEMA has consistently ignored the needs and desires of the very folks who make up their membership. Now with the economy the way it is, whether its good/bad in any individuals perspective, the expense of showing at the show doesnt seem to fit the return on investment of showing this year in Orlando for the non-showing folks. The very refusal of allowing NetDoc the opportunity to help without charging him shows they aren't real interested in helping the general membership, rather a select few who they gear the organization around. I suspect you will see this non-showing list to continue to grow and for the non-showing folks to come to grasps that its DEMA that needs the members, not the members who need DEMA and continue on the non show lists for years to come.

We will probably attend at least a day since its close to us. With any luck at all maybe one of our customers who DEMA will sell a pass to will split it with us, wink wink.

Schott

DEMA should offer classes on HOW to market to consumers through forums just like ScubaBoard. I have offered my services to them for FREE and yet they don't deem it important enough to present to their membership. They did suggest that I pay them for the honor of teaching a such class to their members. Apparently, they just don't understand the significance of social media networking on the internet.

Pete.... DEMA is just out to promote itself. They want you to pay to have the honor of presenting at their show...

That just shows that they are more worried about lining their pockets than they are about providing substance to their membership.... :shakehead:

So Who all has been listed as "not coming"?

quote the list andPut the name down that you know about

Not Coming to DEMA: (as shown by this thread)
1.) DUI (drysuits)
2.) Hollis
3.) Oceanic
4.) Aeris
5.) Apollo - confirmed as not coming, post #35
6.) ScubaPro
7.) Henderson
8.) Force Fins

Attending:
1.) zeagle
2.) Blackbeards
3.) Whites
There are still over 450 companies registered to exhibit there...and it is still 6 months until the show

Pete.... DEMA is just out to promote itself. They want you to pay to have the honor of presenting at their show...

That just shows that they are more worried about lining their pockets than they are about providing substance to their membership.... :shakehead:
Lining their pockets?? Hardly...every dime goes back into the industry? They are a non-profit...or didn't you know that? Their financials are posted on their website for all members to see, so you can check it out yourself...

Well you really cant blame alot of the folks who have elected to not show this year, DEMA has consistently ignored the needs and desires of the very folks who make up their membership. Now with the economy the way it is, whether its good/bad in any individuals perspective, the expense of showing at the show doesnt seem to fit the return on investment of showing this year in Orlando for the non-showing folks. The very refusal of allowing NetDoc the opportunity to help without charging him shows they aren't real interested in helping the general membership, rather a select few who they gear the organization around. I suspect you will see this non-showing list to continue to grow and for the non-showing folks to come to grasps that its DEMA that needs the members, not the members who need DEMA and continue on the non show lists for years to come.

We will probably attend at least a day since its close to us. With any luck at all maybe one of our customers who DEMA will sell a pass to will split it with us, wink wink.

Schott
I don't see them ignoring the retailer or anyone else. Check out their Be A Diver program - it give the retailer everything needed to promote recreational diving and their own operation...beadiver.com

I am going to agree with chayes on this. I don't think that there is a profit motive behind DEMA's decisions. I don't agree with many of their decisions, but I don't think that they are crooks.

Lining their pockets?? Hardly...every dime goes back into the industry? They are a non-profit...or didn't you know that? Their financials are posted on their website for all members to see, so you can check it out yourself...

Just thinking aloud, but why would it be a bad thing if Dema had say, 2 /3 days for trade and 1/2 days open for the general public.?

I attend trade shows in various countries and quite a few of them are doing this now, I know some exhibitors may think its an inconvenience to deal with the public at large, but in my opinion "Joe Soap" in the street is the only real customer that counts, without him / her the industry ceases to exist.

Surely it could be a great opportunity for suppliers to show their full product range to a broader audience and travel destinations have an opportunity to get more folk interested in travelling to their facility.

The world is getting smaller, everybody, manufacturers, distributors, service facilities etc is trying to get closer to their target market (the man in the street) not further away.

Certainly if I were a manufacturer I would jump at the opportunity to maybe convert some customers onto my brand, listen to the general opinion of the public at large and even put out a few fires :D - obviously there could be no sales, but there could be a referance system to a shop closest to them, and even Dema scores with a possible few extra hundred or even a few thousand feet over the mat and all paying entrance - seems much like a win / win situation to me, which is working in other countries and industries.

Or am I missing something?.

DEMA is a non profit, is the DEMA show?

How about the "pals" of the BOD/staff that get contracts to do 'projects for DEMA, are they non profit as well?

Last year the first DEMA sponsored seminar at the show was on how to stop the spread of the Lionfish in the Atlantic, ummm yeah... that is gonna happen. The economy was in full roar downhill and THAT is how they decide to start the show???????

I don't see them ignoring the retailer or anyone else. Check out their Be A Diver program - it give the retailer everything needed to promote recreational diving and their own operation...beadiver.com

How many dive shops can afford to run a TV commercial?

Plus that 30 second commercial is based on the travel, travel isn't going to help the dive shops in this economy, local diving and escape is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom