Denver Aquarium......This is was my experience as an unpaid Pooper Scooper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to take a minute to share my recent experience at the Denver Aquarium and give some of you an understanding of why I would consider diving as an unpaid volunteer pooper scooper. The fact that I live in severely land locked state and there is very little good diving around here unless I want to freeze my butt off was my initial motivating factor and the fact that I am glad we have a place like this in Denver and wanted to do my part to help keep it here as it almost went under a couple years ago. I did find out.....all of those reasons paled compared to what I have found out that I like the most.

My first dive was a week ago. Check out kind of thing in Open Blue which is the largest of the tanks and has various sharks swimming around with turtles, Cuda and a maze of tropical fish. Everything went ok and I learned to feed the fish, clean the glass, scrub the walls and to use the pooper sucker on the bottom of the Aquarium. We had to do the normal check out stuff like mask removal and BC Removal for the check out and then to be observed doing various tasks and our ease of being in the water with the fishes. Deal with the leopard sharks that swim through your legs like a dog when you just get home from work while trying to put on your fins. Everything went fine despite the equipment problems I was having like the BC didn't fit me well and I honestly haven't worn a weight belt in so long that I forgot how to best place the weight on the new belt I purchased. We had to use the Aquariums BC/Regs for safety reasons but thats another argument all together. Although I am sure I could win the argument....:wink:

And then there were the kids. All of them staring in amazement at the big guy with the bubbles coming from his head. Eyes as big as dinner plates. Not really sure if they should back up from the window and run to Mom or run out the exit with or without Mom. I kind of related it to a kid watching TV and that dazed stare when something scary comes on the tube. That is......Right up until you waved at them. Then the whole thing became real and that person in the water was actually looking back at them and saying Hi. You could almost hear their excitement as they started flocking to the glass and waving like mad. I laughed so hard that I almost lost my reg more than a couple times.

Last night I signed up for the diner dive show. No work, just waving. Just me in the water in the main dining area. (DA is owned by Landrys). A little unnerving as I have found out in my life that I am not a really big exhibitionist in most situations (there are exceptions). I am certainly not a shy person either but jumping into the aquarium with a full restaurant was a little thought provoking. As I climbed down the ladder and pushed on the ill fitting fins and tried to find a way for my BC to at least be somewhat comfortable, fumbling with the new weightbelt all the while being mobbed by a thousand fish....I finally got underwater and saw a couple kids at the glass. Smashed up so they could see really good. I went down, got my bearings, pushed through the fish and 2 kids were replaced by 6 kids. All waving and looking in amazement. The first tank is small and takes a little getting acclimated. At first it was a little awkward but the kids helped and finally got me going but I was still a little unsure of what to do. You only spend about 10 minutes on that side and have to get out and jump in the big side.

The big side was packed with full tables and lots of people. The 6 kids were replaced by what seemed like a dozen although I am sure less. People eating dinner as I swam up to the windows and the kids jumping up and down like mad. What fun. I then forgot all about the equipment and started waving back at them and blowing bubble rings, swimming upside down, giving them a high five and once again laughing so hard that I had to hold the reg in my mouth. Watching their faces as the Sand Tiger swam by my head with its snarly teeth sticking out in every direction. I could almost tell everytime it came close by the look on their faces. I moved around the restaurant waving at even more kids as the others followed and waving at people eating their dinners even back from the windows. I swam over to the bar area (Awesome bar to hang out in Denver at and I am surprised its not more popular) and again 5 kids standing in the window waving like mad with eyes as big as dinner plates again blowing more bubble rings and laughing my head off. I even swam over to the boat in the bottom and picked up my #1 hero....Sponge Bob and proceeded to make him dance over to the window for the kids. I taught the kids the sign for shark and pointed at him as though he was a man eating great white of 40 feet. I laughed and laughed and laughed at the faces in the crowd but none of them were better than the kids.

Upon exiting the water my first words were....Man, that was fun to Jeff who was the Aquarist who was helping me from above. Being that he used to dive at Disney World as the Diving Mickey...he knew exactly what I meant. Man, I actually think that I may have a little ham in me. :D .

So I did this for all the right reasons. They needed help, I needed to dive and I want to do my part to help keep the Aquarium in the area. What I found out is.....I would do it anytime just for the look on the kids faces.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get started over there. I have found this to be an extremely rewarding experience and I look forward to learning and experiencing more.

I have attached a few pictures that were taken from the dining area. THIS is what makes this all worth it.

Very Cool! I have been thinking about volunteering at the aquarium. I wonder why they won't let you use your own equipment? Did you have to have cpr and first aid training before they would let you dive for them? Is there a minimum # of dive experiance required?

I wonder if they require you to use their equipment so they know you are not bring in any contaminants from outside environments?? I too have considered volunteering some time there. We are members already and I take my son there a couple times a month. We love it!!

You have some nice kids in the Denver area! I worked in a somewhat urban aquarium and when I was wiping the tank of algae I would routinely get the finger from some fresh boys. Overall, I did get a lot of waves and smiles from younger kids who really liked seeing divers in the water. More reports and pictures!!! X

LGF:
Very Cool! I have been thinking about volunteering at the aquarium. I wonder why they won't let you use your own equipment? Did you have to have cpr and first aid training before they would let you dive for them? Is there a minimum # of dive experiance required?

At least at Walt DIsney World the stated reason was that they did not want to risk getting any contaminants into the aquarium.

A friend of mine told met that Walt Disney World gave them top of the line ScubaPro equipment to use. The difference at Walt Disney World is that you have to pay them for the privilege.

I am not sure of the price but I think it was around $100. I don't think you were required to do any cleaning however.

The Denver Aquarium is "owned" by a seafood restaurant chain? Too funny...

daniel f aleman:
The Denver Aquarium is "owned" by a seafood restaurant chain? Too funny...

"...and when your ready to order, please hold your menu up to the window and point to what you'd like, our diver will be more than happy to pick it fresh for you..."

bikefox:
I wonder if they require you to use their equipment so they know you are not bring in any contaminants from outside environments?? I too have considered volunteering some time there. We are members already and I take my son there a couple times a month. We love it!!

A friend was involved with an aquarium, staff, and fear of introducing outside materials wasn't an issue. Aquarium gear was regularly used by staff in open water dives, fresh and salt water. The aquarium had a deal with company X. That way all divers then used the same gear, basically an underwater uniform. If a diver owned company X's gear, they could use their personal stuff, however if you used the aquarium's gear they were then responsible for maintenance and service.

No Guys. They do mention contamination but the major issue is liability on the equipment and how well it is kept up with. There are practices in place to limit the contamination issue greatly. We can use our own BCD's but not the Regulators. I don't agree with it but its policy. I will be using my own BCD next week as soon as I get a fitting for my Air2 to work with it. The policy is also no integrated weights so I will have to continue with the belt. Basically some feel that it is better that everyone be familar with the equipment also and there is no mystery if there is a problem and I am sure so that they know the equipment is checked regularly.

And no....I don't grab fish for the restaurant off the menu...but that was funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom