Descending...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont think it has been mentioned yet, but wetsuit users can get a little help on decent by giving a little yank on the neck to let some water in and help displacing the trapped air....

This is an add on class that will weight you properly. Not the basic class where you simlpy sit in pool shove some weight in your pocket decend to your eyes with the reg. in your mouth inhale and if you acend a little your weighted properly. You will consentrate on your decents and acents. As well as hovering of the bottem with as little movement as possible by inhaling and exhaling. Also teaches to be aware of how streamlined you are. It a specialty class.
In my opinion one of the best any diver can take.
Fred

Kind of related point, when I started diving I got quite frustrated with the same problem, until someone pointed out that I was finning back up. The reason was that my weights were slightly to far behind so as I descended Is was tipping slightly onto my back and subconciously finning to compensate. Moving the weights solved the problem.

My advice would be to make sure your weight is distributed properly, make sure ALL the air is out of your BC (i.e continue to dump air with shoulder raised even after you get below the surface). Empty your lungs and breath very shallow when you have to until you get below the first few meters.

Please don't deliberately overweight, it will get you down easier, but will cause you do adjust your bc more, use more energy, use more air and enjoy your diving less. If you can maintain 5m on 50bar then look elsewhere for the problem. But remember changes in equipment and time can mean the amount of weight you require changes so don't feel that what you needed in your OW will always be what you need.

As for listening to the advice given here, think about each response and try what seems to make sense to you. That way you will solve the problem and you will learn a lot more in the process.

Trying to help

Conor

Ok, this is what I do, and I realize that not everyone would agree with my thinking on this, however, it is what I do.

When diving with an AL80, I am 5 lbs negative to begin the dive so that I am neutral with about 500 psi left at the surface. This accounts for the buoyancy swing from drawing the gas down from a full tank to 500 psi. Negatively buoyant, in my opinion is not the same as being over-weighted. Over-weighting implies having more than is necessary, but I feel it is necessary to be 5 lbs negatively buoyant to begin with.

Sorry to be pedantic, but.....

Yes you should be negative at the start of a dive, yes this is not the same as being overweighted but the 5lbs is only ever a guideline. The amount will vary dependant on air used (not tank size).

I would stick to my guns and say that if you aim to finish on not less than 50Bar then if you can hold 5m with this amount in your tank, then you are correctly weighted. At the start of the next dive you will be negative by the weight of the air you have over and above 50 bar.

Does this make sense ?

Sorry....its a tuesday

Conor

Conor once bubbled...
Sorry to be pedantic, but.....

Yes you should be negative at the start of a dive, yes this is not the same as being overweighted but the 5lbs is only ever a guideline. The amount will vary dependant on air used (not tank size).

I would stick to my guns and say that if you aim to finish on not less than 50Bar then if you can hold 5m with this amount in your tank, then you are correctly weighted. At the start of the next dive you will be negative by the weight of the air you have over and above 50 bar.

Does this make sense ?

Sorry....its a tuesday

Conor

Yes, it does make sense. I'm not suggesting the 5lbs negative is a rule. It only applies to me with the set-up I indicated. The only thing I do differently perhaps is to make sure that I am still negative at the 5m stop with 50bar. If I were to be neutral, it would be more difficult to make a slow ascent from 5m to the surface.

Sorry my mistake, I misinterpretted your post. I have heard people say 5lbs as a definite amount as opposed to a guideline, thought you meant the same.

Oops

Conor

I wish to publicly apologize to anyone I knew in the past, currently know, or will someday know, or those who know or have met those previously mentioned, and to their friends, family, associates and acquaintances, for things I may or may not have said, implied, suggested by vocal, written or facial expression, or for things assumed either in the past present or future. If I have left anyone out, I apologize. If you are reading this post, I apologize. If you name is Dave and pee off the side of the boat and smoke weed, I apologize.
So very sorry.

fgray1 once bubbled...
This is an add on class that will weight you properly. Not the basic class where you simlpy sit in pool shove some weight in your pocket decend to your eyes with the reg. in your mouth inhale and if you acend a little your weighted properly. You will consentrate on your decents and acents. As well as hovering of the bottem with as little movement as possible by inhaling and exhaling. Also teaches to be aware of how streamlined you are. It a specialty class.
In my opinion one of the best any diver can take.
Fred

An add on class...Interesting. Can you imagine if you took drivers ed and they got you rolling but then you had to add on a "module" to the class to learn how to turn left and right?

Buoyancy is a key component to diving. It shouldn't be glossed over in your basic training. Perhaps in the rush for a lot of LDS's and agencies to make diving fun like pink cotton candy and happyland, while saving dollars, and competing for the cheapest OW course, they are cutting their customers a little short on quality and safety. What's next? A coin operated instant diver booth that takes a photo and spits out a cert card?

Regardless, if a diver is so helpless that they can't follow the steps to do a buoyancy check, and adjust their trim, without an intructor present perhaps they may want to, at best, consider a little more pool time before risking both their own life and the lives of others in the open water. At worst a new sport. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom