Destin Jetties post Ivan dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel:
I made it home safe and sound last night about 10pm EST. I had a great time diving and look forward to my next trip to Destin whenever that will be.
Glad you made it home OK. Hurry up and get back before the silt settles :D !

Actually, I was looking at my calendar trying to see which weekend soon might work. I am on call the next 2, and my son and daughter in law are going to stay at the condo the 15th-18th. Looks like maybe the 23rd I can try for. Will have to see how Dad is doing, if he is back on another round of chemo/radiation then. I will let you know.

So, don't let things get too good yet. :wink:

F 22 High 5:43 AM 0.8 6:54 AM Set 1:13 AM 61
22 Low 6:36 PM 0.0 6:07 PM Rise 3:19 PM

Sa 23 High 7:03 AM 0.7 6:54 AM Set 2:19 AM 72
23 Low 6:55 PM 0.1 6:06 PM Rise 3:54 PM

Su 24 High 8:32 AM 0.6 6:55 AM Set 3:23 AM 81
24 Low 6:46 PM 0.3 6:05 PM Rise 4:25 PM
24 High 11:39 PM 0.4

Saturday would probably be the day to go, looks like a neap-tide on Sunday. Makes for an earlier mornin though!

seaangel:
Actually, I was looking at my calendar trying to see which weekend soon might work. I am on call the next 2, and my son and daughter in law are going to stay at the condo the 15th-18th. Looks like maybe the 23rd I can try for. Will have to see how Dad is doing, if he is back on another round of chemo/radiation then. I will let you know. So, don't let things get too good yet. :wink:
I get my schedules a week at a time right now so the crystal ball is hazy - I'll keep gazing into it until things become clearer :D .

Ok, I am not into the tide lingo, need a bit of interpretation please. What is a neap-tide? and how early is early?? I might be able to do early as long as we have some light, or heck I have dive lights and I am fully checked off to do night dives.

As for my schedule, I am really the one that makes my weekend schedules. My full time job is M-F. I am doing some prn dialysis call for acutes on the next two Saturdays trying to make a few more $$$. That really makes me fairly flexible, even though it seems I find a lot of other interfering activities to cloud up my crystal ball. I just wish I could find my magic wand so I could correct all of this. You know Halloween is the next available weekend, are any of you still having that dive at Ginnie? They have not been able to open for some time now there.

Gotta go feed my fish and get some time with hubby. And Dad.

Saturdays High Tide will be at 7:03AM. Thats what I mean by early morning. If you're staying in Destin, shouldnt be a problem. When I dive a 7AM high tide in Destin, it means I'm leaving at 5AM and packing at 4:30AM - LOL :D ~ 2hours to Destin from my house and I consider this a 'local' dive :wink:

Neap tides are when you have two seperate high tides in a single day, this is usually accompanied with very shallow tidal changes. Basically, it means not as much clean water from the gulf will be pushed into the pass - so visibility will suffer.

Should only take a week or two for the springs to get cleaned up and opened. I've been keeping an eye on the Megadive thread and nobody has said anything about it being cancelled... I'm still planning on making it, I've never been and it looks like a lot of fun. It'll be my most distant dive trip yet too :D

Thanks, for the education on the tide lingo. I should say that is early for you, and very dedicated to diving for that time of morning. A 7:30 am dive is ok, and since I would only be about 5 minutes from the jetties I can handle that with no problem.

As for the megadive I don't plan to go. But, I sure hope it is open by then for everyone that is. Ginnie has been flooded out for some time now, and I imagine that Jeane did not help any.

It still looks like the 23rd will be my best shot at coming down.
I don't know if there will be any time in November and then there is December with all the holiday stuff going on. On top of all that we add not knowing what fun the doctors will have in store for my Dad and his treatments. Another interesting thing is I may have to have surgery in the near future. It would not cause a lengthy rehab time and I should be back diving within 4-6 wks. Maybe less. If I do need the surgery I plan to have it done in January, hopefully that will only mean I sit out the cold months. Cold being relative to the location of my diving that is.

The good news for you about the Jetties is that high tides come at night during the winter - we all sit those out. I go to the springs during the winter if I can't stand being out of the water. Morrison floods a lot in winter so Vortex is my usual spot. I am hoping to try Cypress spring one day - it takes a canoe ride to get there. I've heard that it is very pretty.

I'll try to keep the 23rd open - I never can tell.

That sounds good on all accounts. Hope to see you then.

SeaYoda:
I am hoping to try Cypress spring one day - it takes a canoe ride to get there. I've heard that it is very pretty.

Does it have to be canoe? :) I have a 10' Zodiac and a 10hp outboard that will make quick work of the trip :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom