Detailed Nekton Pilot Trip Report: Medio Reef June 6th - 13th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about Sam's Club, but there is a Costco about 5 mls from the airport. You could probably catch a cab or the Nekton driver might be willing to take you, if he doesn't have a full van. Talk to Nekton. They are very helpful and should be able to give you good advice.

Quick question to those of you who have been on the Nekton boats--do they allow people to jump off the top deck, and does anyone do it? I have a tradition of jumping off the highest point of the boats I've been on, but the Nekton boats are taller than any I've been on.....

Quick question to those of you who have been on the Nekton boats--do they allow people to jump off the top deck, and does anyone do it? I have a tradition of jumping off the highest point of the boats I've been on, but the Nekton boats are taller than any I've been on.....

I doubt very seriously they would let you do it. It is very, very high. But you could always ask the Capt.

I doubt very seriously they would let you do it. It is very, very high. But you could always ask the Capt.

When I first started working for Nekton (1995) it was an initiation ritual for crew to DIVE off the top of the pilot house (no jumping, just diving). One year a contractor decided to jump off the top, dislocated his shoulder, and tried to sue Nekton. Now it is a no-no.

Aww-too bad--guess I'll just have to stick to my OTHER tradition--a morning skinny dipping swim around the boat!

You might be able to convince the dive deck crew to raise the dive deck up into its highest position. That is a decent height (although not the 30 foot jump from the roof of the pilot house), just make sure they lower it back down so you can get back aboard the boat.

As for the morning skinny dip, you might want to avoid the morning when they do the organized dawn dive. When I worked on the boat we used to host the Buff Divers once a year. Not just skinny dippers--these folks dived nekkid all week. It scarred me for life!

There are few things more distressing than seeing a man standing on the dive deck with nothing on except a weight belt and booties. Scarred for life!

There are few things more distressing than seeing a man standing on the dive deck with nothing on except a weight belt and booties. Scarred for life!
Seen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom