Question DGX Custom Aluminum BP/W for new divers... thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Top photo: No tank strap threaded through plate.
Bottom photo: No STA.
And what looks like plastic book screws?
How are tank (straps) fixed securely to plate?

Re read the post, the cam bands aren’t attached yet

Go read the description on the GDX website…

Quicker to go to the Dive Gear Express website as suggested. (Link in the OP). I thought about getting a STA and did raise an eyebrow to the plastic attachments but then thought, "What do I know? They built it, explained their reasoning in the product description, and have received nothing but good reviews. I'll take their word for it and give it a try. There are 2 vertical rods on either side of the interior of the wing that, combined with the cam straps, is suppose to hold the tank in position. We shall see.

Really like the wing.
How many lbs of lift?
Its amazing how reasonable BP&W have become.

you have a rubber strap over the light button. Are you worried it will promote the accidental activation of that light? In the gear bag for example?

you have a rubber strap over the light button. Are you worried it will promote the accidental activation of that light? In the gear bag for example?
Not in the gear bag because I'm in the habit with a similar non dive light of unscrewing it ever so slightly to prevent accidental activation or complete draining. On the rig pictured I just didn't pay attention but will be careful not to have the band come into contact the switch. Thank you for pointing that out though!

My wife and I were recently certified and added the OWA and Nitrox so extremely new to diving. (9 total dives) The experience, as expected, far exceeded our expectations and has us looking to purchase our own equipment.

This will be for primarily warm water and air travel.

58/45, 185/125, excellent health, very active lifestyle.

Started to go down the BCD/ BP/W rabbit hole with a strong look at ScubaPro Hydros Pro before finding the ScubaPro Aluminum S-Tek. Then reviewed many of the BP/W companies. Like the trim/ minimalist feeling idea that the BP/W offers.

Came very close to purchasing S-Tek and find it an attractive (expensive) package but then I look at the DGX Aluminum Custom and find it extremely appealing for the no frills and price. Honestly think it would suit our needs nicely. Will likely be using with a 2/3mm shorty with concerns towards padding/ comfort.

For new divers that have never used a BP/W, but virtually positive we will enjoy it, is the DGX Custom a good course? (first post, be gentle:wink:)

Cheers!
I own the DGX brand BP/W setup, it was my first single tank BP/W setup. I have been extremely happy with it and I have had no issues with it. I still have it and use it occasionally to this day. It was affordable and DGX has excellent customer service. The wing is just a rebranded oxycheq wing for a fraction of the price. My wing has an oxycheq tag on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom