Dialing in BPW fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally did not read it that way, thanks for the clarification on what you meant!

(My misread may have something to do with the fact I have a few friends who dive SM and have weights on their harnesses, literally at their shoulders/collarbones :) )

Standing on dry land, the weight of the entire rig should be "resting" on your hips/waste-belt, not on the shoulders. Your hips is where you feel the weight of rig.

Standing on dry land, the weight of the entire rig should be "resting" on your hips/waste-belt, not on the shoulders. Your hips is where you feel the weight of rig.

This is not true. For a well fitted backpack (not scuba, for hiking and climbing) yes, absolutely. But a scuba BP is relatively short, and as such, the waist belt is not on most divers' hips, it's up around the waist. Standing up on dry land with a tank, you're going to feel it pull in the shoulders, no way around that. Since the weight loading under water is totally different, it doesn't matter when you're diving.

When you're in the water, reaching around with your arms, especially reaching forward, is a good idea. If the harness is too tight, you'll feel it restrict the forward movement of your arm/shoulders.

@halocline: Good for you! So you agree then, or did my grammer on waste/waist confuse you?

But a scuba BP is relatively short, and as such, the waist belt is not on most divers' hips, it's up around the waist.

Hip is not the best description, rather lower down your middle?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom