Did I just get Shafted by my LDS on a VIS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm paying $15 with a complimentary fill & O-ring ( take it this is the neck, not yoke ring) . That's no Eddy & no cleaning. If they hit me $1 for the neck O-ring I wouldn't think twice, I know many shops just reuse them unless they're nasty.

$8. for a valve inspection is bogus. For that they should have charged you for a kit and rebuilt it! Of course, only on request or after identifying a problem and advising you.

The fill in not always included in the visual inspection price so that charge is not outside of customary. My only issue is the valve inspection with no just cause. Be thankful they don't have a new boot polisher to pay off!

Pete

I think a $15.00 vis and a $5.00 fill are fine.
As for the valve inspection and the o-ring , I need more info.
If they took the valve apart, cleaned and rebuilt it , no problem. If they looked at and blessed it with holy water I would have a problem. OK , I'm fine with the holy water, but you get the idea.
The o-ring costs about $.33 per ring, so $1.00 is a nice mark up.
I re-build my valves every year, ultrasonic cleaner and o2 cleaning. This takes some time, and time is money.

Jim Breslin

you sound like me--more time than money..To the OP, tell em take a hike on the 7+1 thingy(everything else sounds OK)...........

Glad I don't live where you do, your vis costs more than the hydro's I had done a few months back. $26 bucks a tank for Hydro, vis, new O ring and fill.

My LDS wants $12/VIS, $25/Hydro, $25/valve and $10/burst disc. Their O2 cleaning is $50 though.

They should have told you what the price was up front, but you also probably should have asked as well.

If they determined that the valves needed to be rebuilt, $7 is a good price for that service, but they should have ok'd the additional work with you.

Neck orings should be replaced not reused. They are dirt cheap, $.33 or less, no sense reusing them.

I am new to owning tanks. I used to just rent them. I bought a few tanks a year ago and they were just VIS'ed before I bought them so I did not bother at that time.

I droped my tanks off the other day to the LDS for VIS and I just went in today to pick them up. What I had read was that VIS was around $10 to $15 per tank. LDS Said $15 when I dropped them off.

Got there today and they wanted alot more. Here is what they charged me per tank.

$15 VIS
$5 FILL (Thought this would be included in the VIS Price)
$7 Valve Inspection??? (Is this required?) I did not ask for this.
$1 For O-Ring
---------------
$28 per Tank and I dropped off 3 Tanks
$ 2.50 Sales Tax
-------------------
$30.50 Per Tank

This is the first VIS I had to do is this normal or did I just get taken by the LDS?
This was also my first business with this LDS. My normal shop just closed due to lease problems with the building owner and will be reopening in a few months in another location.

Thanks
Aaron

yes u got screwed:shocked2::(:idk:

Valves inspection should be part of the inspection as should be the replacement of the o-ring.

If the shop said $15 I would go back in and ask the owner what gives. Tel them you asked for a vis - not for a valve inspection and o-ring replacement. If you get a ration - tell them thanks as you just made your last purchase.

Valves should be fully inspected / rebuilt at the time of hydro - which would include replacing the burst disk.

Like the OP my LDS charges $1 for the o ring. I would like to complain but the $5 vis fee more than makes up for it, and the fill is free with a $125 club membership for free fills for a year.

My LDS charges ~$12 for the vis and that includes a new neck o-ring, fills are extra. The only reason I see for them to do the valve inspection is if there was a problem opening or closing the knob or if they saw something wrong with it, regardless they should've contacted you if there was. Last time I had my doubles vized the shop replaced the isolator o-rings (which they say they usally check because they've seen too many issues over the years). One of mine was not healthy and I'm glad they caught it, they didn't charge me for the new o-rings or any additional fees for checking the isolator.

I am new to owning tanks. I used to just rent them. I bought a few tanks a year ago and they were just VIS'ed before I bought them so I did not bother at that time.

I droped my tanks off the other day to the LDS for VIS and I just went in today to pick them up. What I had read was that VIS was around $10 to $15 per tank. LDS Said $15 when I dropped them off.

Got there today and they wanted alot more. Here is what they charged me per tank.

$15 VIS
$5 FILL (Thought this would be included in the VIS Price)
$7 Valve Inspection??? (Is this required?) I did not ask for this.
$1 For O-Ring
---------------
$28 per Tank and I dropped off 3 Tanks
$ 2.50 Sales Tax
-------------------
$30.50 Per Tank

This is the first VIS I had to do is this normal or did I just get taken by the LDS?
This was also my first business with this LDS. My normal shop just closed due to lease problems with the building owner and will be reopening in a few months in another location.

Thanks
Aaron

Hello Aaron,

I'm really sorry that you got the shaft by this shop. I'm from Oregon and both my shops charge $15 for vis and $5 for fill. NEVER buy anything from this shop, they will lie and cheat you. When you are ready to buy equipment, shop around. Many LDSs will even meet, or almost meet the on-line prices, and give you great service.

I see that you are from Washington and so I called a great shop in Hoodsport, Washington - You'll be diving there I'm sure, even though it's a ways from you. This is where the famous places such as Sund Rock and Octopus Hole are at. I called Hood Sport 'n Dive and I told them why I was calling (what happened to you). They said that it is $15 for vis and $5 for fill = $20, ($10 for Nitrox fill = $25). None of the garbage about O rings and valve inspection. Oh, and they told me that they'd complete it while you wait - about 10 minutes. I'd suggest that you call ahead of time, however, because I have been there when they are filling up a visiting class' tanks - (30 of them) and sometimes they will stick you in front of them and sometimes they can't.

* Hood Sport 'n Dive
* PO Box 1445
* Hoodsport, WA 98548

(360) 877-6818
Hood Sport 'n Dive

I'm really sorry that you got an intro to the shady practices of some, but you'll find those that you can trust.

DrDaddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom